Are the Toronto Maple Leafs Stanley Cup contenders?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Honestly I don’t know what you’re going on about since I didn’t care the read the rest.. the Leafs goaltending is ass but not as ass as the Oilers has been over the course of the season and they are still pacing better than the Leafs

They’re marginally pacing better than the Leafs - by one game.

The Oilers and Leafs save percentage over the course of the season is practically the same. It’s a 0.03 difference.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Just watching Matthews on the highlights. Not sure where this guy got a reputation as a great two way player. That’s a pretty feeble effort on McLeod’s go ahead goal in the third.
You want to see more effort from your highly paid leaders.
Highly paid? He's at a bargain rate this year compared to next!

Reactions: frag2

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Great coping mechanism. The oilers dominated play regardless of whatever goalie performance excuse you want to tell yourself. Your team can't hold a lead to save their lives but keep thinking everything is alright just like Marner, that will serve you guys well come playoffs like it always does.

Althoo he let one softie, Jones was very good in yesterday game. Oilers had almost double (18-10) high danger chances.

3 goal against on 18 A grade scoring chance is actually pretty great and way over league avreage.

The reality is Toronto was in a prime spot to slow down the game limiting chances at both end, once again they did not adjust the game plan and show inability to play with the lead.

Reactions: BurnabyJoe7

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Bad defensive coverage by the Leafs with two players on the other side of the net. Jones still went down too early IMO. If he was up, he likely makes the save.
Jones probably had PTSD from the Drai goal where he stayed up and it went straight through him from a stupid angle. This time he goes down hard on the post and leaves the whole other side of the net open.

Definitely some suspect decisions, but at the end of the day, it all averaged out how you would expect. He saved 2-3 sure goals in the 1st and subsequently let in some softies. That's just the law of averages, eventually something goes in after you control play long enough.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Every time I watch him play he's just coasting
Idk maybe I catch him at the wrong time
He’s saving it for the playoffs.

Jokes aside, I think Matthews is the least of the teams worries. He may not be the Selke level forward some fans claim but he’s been mostly carrying the team. They need to improve the D and goaltending and get a better supporting cast.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Leafs were playing their third game in 4 nights. Edmonton was at home - the Toronto boys aren’t used to -40 weather.
So you're saying EDM has a big advantage, is this close to or worth more than the tax free states advantages? We should let the market know, might get more UFAs coming here.

Reactions: nturn06

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
So you're saying EDM has a big advantage, is this close to or worth more than the tax free states advantages? We should let the market know, might get more UFAs coming here.

Edmonton has a much lower sales tax - should probably sell free agents on it.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Are you saying there is something wrong with this defence?

View attachment 805058
You've heard of collapse to the front of the net, but have to hears collapse to the net to the right (or left if you want to be viewing it) ?

Had a feeling Dangle might touch on it, and sure enough.......starts at around the 9:20 mark.

Hopefully the data works so I can listen to that. He shouldn't get too excited.

Also, I thought he quit those ?

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
Just watched the highlights of yesterday's game.

What a pathetic effort by Matthews and co at the end of a tie game. Getting dominated in their zone, losing all the battles.

Another blown lead.

Only 2 points up from the teams out of a playoff spot.

Is it the time to panic? That team has NO confidence at all.

Any time I hear that "Matthews for Selke!" garbage, I'm going to post this video. Must-win game on the line... Look at that effort. Just slowly skating around while the Oilers just play like he's not even there.. cuz he's not. Ends with him boxing a guy out by setting a perfect screen on his goalie. Just brutal all-around.

Dude is a skating wrist shot.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
You've heard of collapse to the front of the net, but have to hears collapse to the net to the right (or left if you want to be viewing it) ?

Hopefully the data works so I can listen to that. He shouldn't get too excited.

Also, I thought he quit those ?

Every year following the Leafs' elimination, he always has the same "should I even continue doing these" sections in his final LFR vids.

And then, there he is again, Game 1 of the following season.

I know Dangle isn't everyone's cup of tea and yeah it gets on the nerves every now and again - and just imagine how he'd react if they can ever actually win something :biglaugh:) - but his rise from unknown Toronto Zoo employee with a webcam and a Youtube account, to the hockey media figure he is today, is pretty cool.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Every year following the Leafs' elimination, he always has the same "should I even continue doing these" sections in his final LFR vids.

I know Dangle isn't everyone's cup of tea and yeah it gets on the nerves every now and again - and just imagine how he'd react if they ever actually win something :biglaugh:) - but his rise from unknown Toronto Zoo employee with a webcam and a Youtube account, to the hockey media figure he is today, is pretty cool. :dunno:
If you like nails on a chalkboard sound.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

I know Dangle isn't everyone's cup of tea and yeah it gets on the nerves every now and again - and just imagine how he'd react if they ever actually win something :biglaugh:) - but his rise from unknown Toronto Zoo employee with a webcam and a Youtube account, to the hockey media figure he is today, is pretty cool. :dunno:
I like him. He gives props where props are due.

I mainly watch when they lose though, so...

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
Samsonov isn’t the Leafs first option just like Campbell isn’t the Oilers first option. Woll is but he’s injured.

Although I’m not sure Samsonov even allows that Draisaitl goal.

I mean you had a team coming into your home building for their 3rd game in 4 nights with their third string goalie and you still wouldn’t give Pickard a game. Clearly goalies make a difference if Pickard can’t even get this game.
Come on dude. This is just sad. Take the L and move on

Reactions: BurnabyJoe7

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Joseph Woll is reaching "Josh Norris" level where the longer he is out injured, the more the legend of him grows.

HHOF Andrei Vasilevskiy gets major surgery and the Lightning struggle: "safe to say the Lightning are just done forever"

3rd round pick with 109 pro games, 76 % of which were in the AHL is out: "it's impossible to win without the star goaltender"

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I'm a little biased, but I'd say that they're cup contenders. They're in the top half of the league in points with a couple of games in hand. A good goalie would make them serious contenders, but either way yeah they're cup contenders.
I'm a die hard fan but disagree. This team as it is constructed today has no chance of getting past Boston and or Florida, no chance.

They are a playoff team, nothing more. It's the sad reality but there's tons of time to make changes. Treliving needs to get on it asap.

Everyone wants Keefe fired, but he just extended him. I don't know if he'd let him go and use a life line that quickly. Burke fired Wilson shortly after an extension but that was after multiple years of having Wilson fail under him. It's year 1 for Keefe + Treliving. But in all honesty Keefe should have been fired 2 years ago, cut your losses but I don't know if Tre will.

Marner needs to go but has a NMC and will not waive which is awesome (sarcasm). Same for Tavares.

Make a splash for some big physical D-men. Looking at Tanev. Should've went for Zadorov but Tanev is still a great option, older but would do great here. Lindholm would be great as well but not sure if we can go after both guys, with the cap situation.

Reminder to my fellow Leaf fans, we play in the Atlantic. Which means we have to go through the Bruins and Panthers, think about that before you call this team a contender.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
This is absolutely it. Any other personnel changes will be superficial in nature and will continue to buttress Shanahan's "vision". I honestly thought that the Leafs would move one of their "big 4" with a new GM, but now it looks like they will be saddled with all of them and it seems right now, the focus is to try to make this current configuration work. On paper some things look good, whereas in practice not the case. Vegas was a good case study in that you don't need a ton of top heavy offensive contracts - a lot of good role players and guys with grit made that team what looks like a perennial contender. The Leafs have never been short on offence and for sure, that's one of their key strengths. But the imbalance between that and their defence and goaltending is pretty evident. They are not going to be able to improve in the other two areas unless they sacrifice something in the first area...which apparently Shanahan is not willing to do, signing Nylander now long term.
Actually I think quite the opposite. The old GM (Dubas) seemed to be coming around on trading one of the big 4. During his last presser he said all options were open and thats when Shanny made the change.

MLSE and Shanny and the new GM are all on the same page and until that changes The Leafs are in trouble.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Actually I think quite the opposite. The old GM (Dubas) seemed to be coming around on trading one of the big 4. During his last presser he said all options were open and thats when Shanny made the change.

MLSE and Shanny and the new GM are all on the same page and until that changes The Leafs are in trouble.

Dubas wasn’t making any changes. The first thing he did when he got to Pittsburgh was acquire an 11M dollar player that they didn’t need.

Reactions: PaulD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad