Are the Toronto Maple Leafs Stanley Cup contenders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
We’re celebrating beating a team with fans that seems to toss bull**** excuses at the wall every time their team loses. The same fans who will sling mud at Oilers fans or any other fanbase when they’re in the trenches.

But the excuse route makes sense. No accountability with the team or the fans apparently.

And just to be clear, was your first string goalie a better option? :huh:

Of course the first string goalie is a better option.

Who’s the better option for the Oilers - Pickard or Skinner? If Skinner was injured the Oilers wouldn’t even be in a playoff position today.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Of course the first string goalie is a better option.

Who’s the better option for the Oilers - Pickard or Skinner?
Doesn’t matter if we were playing the Leafs. The choke job remains the same. That was a total team failure on the Leafs part. Had the 2-0 lead, but still got doubled up on HDSC and shit the bed to lose. But please do tell us how Samsonov, the goalie barely cutting it for you guys, would have been the difference…

Reactions: Frosty415

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Doesn’t matter if we were playing the Leafs. The choke job remains the same. That was a total team failure on the Leafs part. Had the 2-0 lead, but still got doubled up on HDSC and shit the bed to lose. But please do tell us how Samsonov, the goalie barely cutting it for you guys, would have been the difference…

Reactions: PuckG

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

Samsonov isn’t the Leafs first option just like Campbell isn’t the Oilers first option. Woll is but he’s injured.

Although I’m not sure Samsonov even allows that Draisaitl goal.

I mean you had a team coming into your home building for their 3rd game in 4 nights with their third string goalie and you still wouldn’t give Pickard a game. Clearly goalies make a difference if Pickard can’t even get this game.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
They should be. At the very least they should the kind of flawed team that gets through the regular season without too much trouble and has a chance to get hot in the playoffs. With the top end-talent they have, they shouldn't be relying on OT points to stay afloat like this.

I didn't like their off-season. I was surprised when Treliving extended Keefe. This core hasn't lived up to it's potential yet, and I think he shares some responsibility for that.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Just watched the highlights of yesterday's game.

What a pathetic effort by Matthews and co at the end of a tie game. Getting dominated in their zone, losing all the battles.

Another blown lead.

Only 2 points up from the teams out of a playoff spot.

Is it the time to panic? That team has NO confidence at all.

Marner does this a lot, calling for penalties and playing referee but look at what his immediate reaction is after the goal. Calling for imaginary goaltender interference,

He seems more invested in whining like a little bitch than actually playing good hockey. Matthews just gets absolutely dummied... his defensive game is vastly overrated.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
We’re celebrating beating a team with fans that seems to toss bull**** excuses at the wall every time their team loses. The same fans who will sling mud at Oilers fans or any other fanbase when they’re in the trenches.

But the excuse route makes sense. No accountability with the team or the fans apparently.

perfect !

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
You guys are celebrating beating that team while they were playing their third string goalie in Edmonton so it can’t be that bad.
Great coping mechanism. The oilers dominated play regardless of whatever goalie performance excuse you want to tell yourself. Your team can't hold a lead to save their lives but keep thinking everything is alright just like Marner, that will serve you guys well come playoffs like it always does.

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida

Leaf fans:

"Our first string goalie is historically bad, he's the only reason we're losing games"

-Different goalie starts-

Leaf fans:

"Well yeah you beat our third string goalie, obviously we were going to lose playing him".

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Samsonov was the starter until he sucked. Just like Campbell was the starter in Edmonton until he sucked. Both cleared waivers and went to the minors.

The difference between the Leafs and Edmonton is Skinner is healthy while Woll is injured. I bet the Oilers season looks a lot difference if Skinner was injured.
Skinner had an 0.844 at one point and Edmonton had the worst goaltending in the entire NHL int he first 15sh games or whatever it was. They have already been there.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Skinner had an 0.844 at one point and Edmonton had the worst goaltending in the entire NHL int he first 15sh games or whatever it was. They have already been there.

And how did they look when he was there? They were last in the league. They lost to San Jose!

Now when Skinner puts up a .920+ save percentage for the last month they’re supposed to be contenders. Crazy what a difference a hot goalie can make.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
And how did they look when he was there? They were last in the league.
Edmonton was outplaying most teams even during the losses and have always had great metrics (O and D) all year

Leafs are closer to t he bottom when it comes to defensive metrics. They have really gone down from last year. Leafs are leaky. Doesn't matter if Woll comes back and plays well. The Leafs have structural issues and their D is not that good. It's more than just goaltending. You guys act like Jones has been sporting a 850 this whole time.

• Haha
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Edmonton was outplaying most teams even during the losses and have always had great metrics (O and D) all year

Leafs are closer to t he bottom when it comes to defensive metrics. They have really gone down from last year. Leafs are leaky. Doesn't matter if Woll comes back and plays well. The Leafs have structural issues and their D is not that good. It's more than just goaltending. You guys act like Jones has been sporting a 850 this whole time.

He’s been sporting an .875 the last few games - hence the losing streak.

The Draisaitl goal was a clear example of the gifts he’s been handing out every game since playing SJ.

On what planet is this a good goal?

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
As a lifelong Leaf fan, I feel very confident saying this group will never win. This feels nothing like Washington and Tampa finally figuring it out, or Detroit and Chicago earlier. By signing Nylander to yet another $11M+ deal they've needlessly boxed themselves in so now it is what it is for the foreseeable future. They had control over all three of Matthews, Marner and Nylander prior to July 1, 2023 and they pissed it away.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I'm a little biased, but I'd say that they're cup contenders. They're in the top half of the league in points with a couple of games in hand. A good goalie would make them serious contenders, but either way yeah they're cup contenders.

• Haha
Reactions: 34

Mar 26, 2010
Why is this thread still open. The Leafs have missed the playoffs. Lock it up.

• Haha
Reactions: PuckG

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Samsonov was the starter until he sucked. Just like Campbell was the starter in Edmonton until he sucked. Both cleared waivers and went to the minors.

The difference between the Leafs and Edmonton is Skinner is healthy while Woll is injured. I bet the Oilers season looks a lot difference if Skinner was injured.
Let’s not ignore that Jones came in and played better than any Leafs goalie until very recently

Stu was shittier than Campbell at the start and turned his season around.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Let’s not pretend that Jones came in and played better than any Leafs goalie until very recently

What does the fact he was playing good in the past got to do with him sucking lately?

Samsonov was good last season too but that doesn’t change the fact he sucks right now.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
What does the fact he was playing good in the past got to do with him sucking lately?
Honestly I don’t know what you’re going on about since I didn’t care the read the rest.. the Leafs goaltending is ass but not as ass as the Oilers has been over the course of the season and they are still pacing better than the Leafs

Reactions: BurnabyJoe7

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019

The difference is that one team's top guys rise to the occasion and hate losing while the other team is filled with losers who don't care and have a single playoff series to show for it. One team is also going to be paying 4 guys 11 mil a year

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad