Are the Toronto Maple Leafs Stanley Cup contenders?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Joseph Woll is reaching "Josh Norris" level where the longer he is out injured, the more the legend of him grows.

HHOF Andrei Vasilevskiy gets major surgery and the Lightning struggle: "safe to say the Lightning are just done forever"

3rd round pick with 109 pro games, 76 % of which were in the AHL is out: "it's impossible to win without the star goaltender"
It's easier to blame goaltending (which has been a trend during the entirety of the Matthews era) for losses than accept the core four they've signed for a collective $1 billion have zero ability to step up when it matters.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
It's easier to blame goaltending (which has been a trend during the entirety of the Matthews era) for losses than accept the core four they've signed for a collective $1 billion have zero ability to step up when it matters.
Harsh truth. Apart from Nylander, the "core 4" has been extremely inconsistent and just bad overall.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
MLSE and Shanny and the new GM are all on the same page and until that changes The Leafs are in trouble.

I think this is very much the case. MLSE are happy to rake the money in and as long as there are playoff games, fans will sell out the arena, buy the merchandise and generally fill the pockets of the management. Winning the Cup would be great, but it isn't essential for the senior people.

Until they miss the playoffs, or until the fans stop spending their money, no major changes will happen with the roster.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
I have been saying this the past few seasons, only to be debunked by some of the Leafs eyeglass wearers.

They need someone, whether to be a coach or a change in players, to bring in and change that culture.

This was such a huge missing factor for the Panthers, for years. Once Zito came in, he started changing the culture of the team. Adding Tkachuk and Coach Maurice has really helped, as you can see that the team is always there for each other, and are always willing to fight.
Zito’s first step towards changing the culture into a winning mind set was getting Hornqvist. A Freaking warrior and a champion who set the example.
Signing Gudas was another move by Zito to add toughness and team-first mentality.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
As they are currently constructed, they are nowhere near a cup contender. Too top heavy, their secondary scoring dries up way too often, their defense is suspect, and the goaltending is a crap shoot.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Play the Leafs, get these vids

1705516909501.png

Beat the Leafs, get these vids

1705516930360.png

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Harsh truth. Apart from Nylander, the "core 4" has been extremely inconsistent and just bad overall.
That Marner quote after last night's game was mind boggling to me.

I don't know if it's arrogance or if he's just a dumb kid who can't read the room, but to essentially say they're playing great no matter what people outside the locker room say and they're just not getting the bounces right now was astounding given the team's overall "choke" label the past few playoffs, as well as on the heels of these recent 2-goal leads blown turning into losses.

Reminds me of his nonsensical "people are putting shambles in our brains" remark.

It's one thing to say they still have confidence in their roster, but acknowledge they need to be much better at executing and not blowing leads. It's another to basically be all, "nah, we're awesome. People ripping on us are dumb dumbs".

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I like him. He gives props where props are due.

I mainly watch when they lose though, so...

To his credit, Steve's readily admitted several times that his page views spike in a huge way after any Leafs loss.

He's aware of the effect that their repeated, almost predictable failure has on his channel, not to mention his own mental health. :laugh:

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
I'm aware.

I have the same mentality as I did when people were laughing at Edmonton earlier in the year. They will do what it takes to turn it around and ensure that they don't miss the playoffs.
If everyone had the same mentality as you,

it wouldn’t be quite as entertaining around here

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I think this is very much the case. MLSE are happy to rake the money in and as long as there are playoff games, fans will sell out the arena, buy the merchandise and generally fill the pockets of the management. Winning the Cup would be great, but it isn't essential for the senior people.

Until they miss the playoffs, or until the fans stop spending their money, no major changes will happen with the roster.
I used to buy a new jersey every year for some reason, I havent bought a jersey since Tavares joined the team.

problem is it doesnt matter how many fans stop buying. or how many stop watching. this team has a 20 year wait list for season tickets. I looked into it like 6 years ago and it said 20 year wait. so likely longer now.

they can just have a revolving door of fans giving up and new fans just beginning to be disappointed.

there was a time I said I would never start to hate this team, and in a way I never will because Ill be a fan till I die but I hate this team and I dont even know where the fix is

Reactions: Iwishihadaspacebar

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
4 Blown leads in a row

Mitch Marner post game says some bullshit like "I thought we played great again" not an exact quote but you get the idea.

That was the last straw for me with Marner. He said that after the series against Montreal where he was playing like a frightened little child, you're not winning anything with a guy like that on the team.

0 accountability, can't handle fair criticism, ego is through the roof, doesn't want to compete on a consistent basis and the guy is completely ok with losing and playing incompetent hockey.

Not a winner. I've said it about players in the past as well, guys from other sports too, like James Harden and Carmelo Anthony. Elite talents, but don't have the will to compete on a nightly basis, can't handle being critiqued and are ok with losing as long as their stats look good.

Time for Leafs nation to move on from him. Far too entitled for how poor his effort and attitude has been.

Look to trade Marner for either a couple of good forwards who play with an edge and compete, or help on the back end, maybe both in a package. But he needs to go.

I'm a die hard fan but disagree. This team as it is constructed today has no chance of getting past Boston and or Florida, no chance.

They are a playoff team, nothing more. It's the sad reality but there's tons of time to make changes. Treliving needs to get on it asap.

Everyone wants Keefe fired, but he just extended him. I don't know if he'd let him go and use a life line that quickly. Burke fired Wilson shortly after an extension but that was after multiple years of having Wilson fail under him. It's year 1 for Keefe + Treliving. But in all honesty Keefe should have been fired 2 years ago, cut your losses but I don't know if Tre will.

Marner needs to go but has a NMC and will not waive which is awesome (sarcasm). Same for Tavares.

Make a splash for some big physical D-men. Looking at Tanev. Should've went for Zadorov but Tanev is still a great option, older but would do great here. Lindholm would be great as well but not sure if we can go after both guys, with the cap situation.

Reminder to my fellow Leaf fans, we play in the Atlantic. Which means we have to go through the Bruins and Panthers, think about that before you call this team a contender.

Can't help but think of a year ago when you and some other Leafs fans said Toronto was in a way better spot than Florida because Panthers had no 1st round picks to get better.

Now some Leafs fans want their coach, Marner and Tavares gone. Ouch

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Zito’s first step towards changing the culture into a winning mind set was getting Hornqvist. A Freaking warrior and a champion who set the example.
Signing Gudas was another move by Zito to add toughness and team-first mentality.

Did he just not want to stick around?

Or did Florida move on?

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I think this is the first Leaf team where I looked at the leader and best players on the team and have thought “I don’t f***ing like any of these guys”

I miss Jake Muzzin

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
That Marner quote after last night's game was mind boggling to me.

I don't know if it's arrogance or if he's just a dumb kid who can't read the room, but to essentially say they're playing great no matter what people outside the locker room say and they're just not getting the bounces right now was astounding given the team's overall "choke" label the past few playoffs, as well as on the heels of these recent 2-goal leads blown turning into losses.

Reminds me of his nonsensical "people are putting shambles in our brains" remark.

It's one thing to say they still have confidence in their roster, but acknowledge they need to be much better at executing and not blowing leads. It's another to basically be all, "nah, we're awesome. People ripping on us are dumb dumbs".

Elite talents, probably the best collection of talent that I can recall in my lifetime as a fan of the Leafs, and I've been watching since the 70's.

But, they are incredibly inconsistent, rarely play hard a full game, and when games get rougher, they tend to wilt. To their credit, Matthews and Nylander have learned to be better in these games, but it isn't far enough, and Marner hasn't made any progress. Tavares has just had his game and skating in particular decline. I'm in agreement on Marner's comments... who exactly is reinforcing their belief that this is "good enough". They are in the business of winning, and this core doesn't know how to do that.

We've seen other players, and teams take time to learn how to win, and with this kind of collection of talent, you have to be patient that it will eventually click.. but it hasn't, and it won't.

I don't even think that it has to do with paying them too much, and being too thin elsewhere... if you are going to win, you need your best players, to be your best players, when it really counts... one thing that has always stood out about Crosby, but not these guys. They've changed the supporting cast, brought in physical D at times... and it's the same thing... core 4 disappear.

Shanahan has had a decade to get this right, been blessed with some incredible talents... it's time for a clearing out of management, and a retool... some good pieces, but Toronto needs to do what others have done.. like Tampa after missing the playoffs, then winning the cup two years later... retool. This team won't get it done.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Also will say last night i cant blame Jones on any of those 3 (4) goals, those were slick shots
I think the Drai goal was pretty weak... he was cheating on the pass, wasn't hugging the post, and let it past......

Having said that, he also kept the Leafs in it, when perhaps they had no business being in the game.

Reactions: Idiot Stick

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
I think the Drai goal was pretty weak... he was cheating on the pass, wasn't hugging the post, and let it past......

Having said that, he also kept the Leafs in it, when perhaps they had no business being in the game.
I think both goalies had made timely saves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad