Are the Toronto Maple Leafs Stanley Cup contenders?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think both goalies had made timely saves.

Skinner played well for sure too. Your team looks very good right now. Fast, talented, playing physical, good team D overall (Though Bouchard needs to clean up his game), and the goalie is performing... this keeps up, and you guys will go far. We need to retool.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
They're essentially playing teams that are about as good as them on avg for the rest of the season?
Perhaps, but they haven't played well, or consistently all year... really their record flatters them. In the last month, they've won ONE game, against a team that isn't currently in the bottom five of the standings. Five wins, in 13 games, and most of those wins against terrible teams. The next five games against hot teams, that are all pretty good. It wouldn't be a shock, if they collect something like 3 points in those games.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
this keeps up, and you guys will go far.
I see so many more issues with the team despite the win streak.
So many giveaways every game, especially in the d-zone. Bouchard is notorious for this, Kane was real bad yesterday.
PP stinks, complete 180 of last year.

To be frank, the Leafs started like a bat out of hell yesterday. I for sure thought we would lose, but then they dialed it down and that's where it cost them. So they definitely have the potential to be way better than they are. Just gotta keep up the play for 60 mins.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
I see so many more issues with the team despite the win streak.
So many giveaways every game, especially in the d-zone. Bouchard is notorious for this, Kane was real bad yesterday.

To be frank, the Leafs started like a bat out of hell yesterday. I for sure thought we would lose, but then they dialed it down and that's where it cost them. So they definitely have the potential to be way better than they are. Just gotta keep up the play for 60 mins.
They only get paid on Eastern time, by the end of the first and start of 2nd, they were basically being forced to work overtime (like that stupid nonsense that happens every year aka the "playoffs" or as Leafs stars call it "work without pay").

That's what happens when you nickel and dime your superstars, they put in these half assed efforts, they need to pay them forreal. #OhtainMoney

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Can't help but think of a year ago when you and some other Leafs fans said Toronto was in a way better spot than Florida because Panthers had no 1st round picks to get better.

Now some Leafs fans want their coach, Marner and Tavares gone. Ouch
Feels bad but I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong, sucks but it is what it is.

That Marner quote after last night's game was mind boggling to me.

I don't know if it's arrogance or if he's just a dumb kid who can't read the room, but to essentially say they're playing great no matter what people outside the locker room say and they're just not getting the bounces right now was astounding given the team's overall "choke" label the past few playoffs, as well as on the heels of these recent 2-goal leads blown turning into losses.

Reminds me of his nonsensical "people are putting shambles in our brains" remark.

It's one thing to say they still have confidence in their roster, but acknowledge they need to be much better at executing and not blowing leads. It's another to basically be all, "nah, we're awesome. People ripping on us are dumb dumbs".
He said that after the Montreal series as well. "I thought we played great, our line generated a lot of chances" lol

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Keefe's an idiot for expressing the Colorado unit is quantums above his guys to the media. Though, I'm sure the Leaf's big 5 are dumb enough and egotistical enough to take that personally and tune him out from now on. He's a bad coach anyway so what does it matter.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
13-13-16 in regulation
4-7-5 in overtime
4-1 in the shootout

Very average team, which is a bit scary to consider when Auston Matthews is pacing for like 80 goals or whatever. The funky way the NHL does overtime points, where it's neither a pure win/loss system, not a win/lose/tie system and not a 3-2-1 system, but instead the least intuitive method where overtime wins are treated as full wins, and overtime losses are only treated as half-losses, has covered them for now, but they aren't playing like a contender, nowhere close.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
FYI for whoever needs it: I think there’s some missing context for the Marner interview. He did say they were playing well which may not be true but it also seemed like he acknowledged they had things to clean up and improve on.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
As it relates to the Oilers, I really want to know the thinking behind keeping McDavid out for half, sometime less, of a PP when they get so few and it's clearly struggling. Last night they got 1 and the top unit actually looked dangerous for once.

MacKinnon and Kucherov play the full 2 mins almost everytime. No reason why McDavid can't.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Feels bad but I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong, sucks but it is what it is.

He said that after the Montreal series as well. "I thought we played great, our line generated a lot of chances" lol
You are legit one of the only posters that holds themselves accountable on here, gotta respect it

Reactions: AvroArrow

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
As it relates to the Oilers, I really want to know the thinking behind keeping McDavid out for half, sometime less, of a PP when they get so few and it's clearly struggling. Last night they got 1 and the top unit actually looked dangerous for once.

MacKinnon and Kucherov play the full 2 mins almost everytime. No reason why McDavid can't.
New coach, new rules I guess lol
Woodcock played PP1 for 1:30-2:00 on every pp.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Every time I watch him play he's just coasting
Idk maybe I catch him at the wrong time

I think the reason he's seen as good defensively is his takeaway ability. He has the magic stick that really surprises guys even after 7 years. My opinion for awhile now though is that his line is hemmed in and cycled more than any other line on the team which is telling.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
It wasn't even -40. It was -20... The same as Toronto.

Having lived in both Lethbridge and the GTA, I can assure everyone -10 in Toronto feels like -30 in Lethbridge because of the humidity difference (maybe an exaggeration but not by much). Lethbridge is pretty arid though and I have no idea if it's the same or similar in Edmonton.

Reactions: Coffey

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
A GM wanting the power to do his job properly makes him a rat?
He wanted the power to not have to answer to anyone, essentially to be GM and POHO. Even went to his buddies in the media and cried about "muhh family" to try and build a sentiment to get him the power and money he was after. He comes off like a smarmy weasel. Didn't work though, now he's Pittsburgh's problem.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Having lived in both Lethbridge and the GTA, I can assure everyone -10 in Toronto feels like -30 in Lethbridge because of the humidity difference (maybe an exaggeration but not by much). Lethbridge is pretty arid though and I have no idea if it's the same or similar in Edmonton.
Super dry in Edmonton too, so yes this just makes the dudes comment look even dumber.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad