Are the Toronto Maple Leafs Stanley Cup contenders?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
again,

im not sure why this is confusing but Dubas wanted to make the calls any GM would make. If he has to go ask big daddy Shanny then Dubas isnt really the GM.
A GM and POHO is a normal setup. Kyle can try and kick the blame upwards as for his own failings all he wants. That's what weasels tend to do.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The Oilers fired the coaches and told the offensive guys to pay some attention to defending and no more cherry-picking for goals. Be more like Kopitar, Bergeron or Datysuk. Preventing 3 goals a game is better than scoring one. Those guys on a nightly basis did that and astute fans, coaches and commentators knew the real value of them. There has to be a total change in this team's run-and-gun mentality of outscoring your mistakes.

The Oilers are currently experiencing a coach bump much like they got when they hired woodcroft in the first place.

The leafs will also make the bench changes as required if it comes down to that. They will not miss the playoffs.

My assessment of the Leafs is the same as it always been under this era.

Playoff team? Yes
Realistic Cup contenders? No

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
again,

im not sure why this is confusing but Dubas wanted to make the calls any GM would make. If he has to go ask big daddy Shanny then Dubas isnt really the GM.
I think the amount of power a GM has these days is changing. The coveted job is now president of hockey ops.

He has complete control in Pittsburgh now for 7 years, so we'll get to see what he can do. Especially when it's time to rebuild. FSG is totally hands off.

Dec 15, 2002
A GM and POHO is a normal setup. Kyle can try and kick the blame upwards as for his own failings all he wants. That's what weasels tend to do.
OK, let's buy this line that what happened in Toronto is all the fault of Dubas and it was Shanahan saving him from screwing things up more.

How long (much longer) of a leash does Shanahan get, now that he's brought in a hand-picked GM, who's kept the same coach, before we start [accurately] pointing the finger of blame for why the Leafs can't get their shit together at Shanahan? What has to happen before "you know what, maybe Dubas wasn't all the problem here" gets whispered?

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
He wanted the power to not have to answer to anyone, essentially to be GM and POHO. Even went to his buddies in the media and cried about "muhh family" to try and build a sentiment to get him the power and money he was after. He comes off like a smarmy weasel. Didn't work though, now he's Pittsburgh's problem.
I really believe that he did his best to get out of that gong show he created ;)

MrCreamm

Nov 16, 2023
Core 4 is shrinking to a core 2 .
Marner and Tavares strike fear on absolutely no opponents
Which is the right move. I wonder how much they can recoup in free agency though, I kinda doubt they trade Marner just cause Shanahan let alone any other justification needed.

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I just saw Sheldon Keefe on TV pleading the world to believe in his team, directly referencing the fact they managed to win that one playoff series in a decade as proof of how mentally strong his team is. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Soft, fat loser. Just a perfect representation of the whole thing there.

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Well, we know Matthews won't. The team will have to deal with those problems should they arise.
Its discouraging to have a barely above avg record and only 13 RWs without even injuries as a reason. Just poor play/weaker team due to mismanagement.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Its discouraging to have a barely above avg record and only 13 RWs without even injuries as a reason. Just poor play/weaker team due to mismanagement.
I don't think that is too much of a worry at this point. Obviously, it would be nicer to win the games in regulation, but as it stands they are 12th in the league with just under half the season to go. If they really want to become a contender, they have to improve.

Strangle

May 4, 2009

Due to the worst goaltending in the league for at least 16 games, depending on how many Sammy has been pulled in this year.

The Leafs team has problems, but Sammy has been their biggest one

All that said, the Leafs aren’t contenders because their stars don’t know what it takes to win. So they won’t win

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I don't think that is too much of a worry at this point. Obviously, it would be nicer to win the games in regulation, but as it stands they are 12th in the league with just under half the season to go. If they really want to become a contender, they have to improve.
They're gonna have to improve, avoid injuries just to make the playoffs. That SOS remaining is gonna make it tough.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I think the Drai goal was pretty weak... he was cheating on the pass, wasn't hugging the post, and let it past......

Having said that, he also kept the Leafs in it, when perhaps they had no business being in the game.

Yeah but I think every Goaltender cheats pass there. No one but Draisaitl shoots that puck, and even if they did, no one but Draisaitl has that kind of cannon of a backhand.

Like the physics of that shot look like a glitch in an EA sports game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad