Are the Toronto Maple Leafs Stanley Cup contenders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Is that Matthews’ Selke-level defense I keep hearing about?

Matthews literally had McDavid tied up which was his job - but let’s blame him cause you don’t like him.

There’s 2 defensemen standing on the wrong side of the net covering no one and we’re blaming Matthews for not leaving McDavid wide open alone in front of the net for no reason?

I’m guessing if he leaves McDavid and the pass goes through to McDavid in alone on Jones for the goal you’ll also blame Matthews for leaving McDavid. He can’t win when you blame him for existing.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Matthews literally had McDavid tied up which was his job - but let’s blame him cause you don’t like him.

There’s 2 defensemen standing on the wrong side of the net covering no one and we’re blaming Matthews for not leaving McDavid wide open alone in front of the net for no reason?

I’m guessing if he leaves McDavid and the pass goes through to McDavid in alone on Jones for the goal you’ll also blame Matthews for leaving McDavid. He can’t win when you blame him for existing.
If you call standing kinda close to him "tying him up" watch that play again, Matthews completely backs away from McDavid before the shot was taken and allows McDavid to stick his ass right in Jones face so he had no chance to see the shot.

Now, I get what you're saying, Reilly never should've let McDavid go in the first place, but the Centers job in the defensive zone is to cover for those plays when they do happen, and Matthews gives a half-hearted effort to to control McDavid's stick then completely lets him go. That's poor defending all around from Matthews AND the leafs defense.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
If you call standing kinda close to him "tying him up" watch that play again, Matthews completely backs away from McDavid before the shot was taken and allows McDavid to stick his ass right in Jones face so he had no chance to see the shot.

Now, I get what you're saying, Reilly never should've let McDavid go in the first place, but the Centers job in the defensive zone is to cover for those plays when they do happen, and Matthews gives a half-hearted effort to to control McDavid's stick then completely lets him go. That's poor defending all around from Matthews AND the leafs defense.

This makes no sense. What’s Matthews supposed to do - chase the player and leave McDavid alone in front of the net?

Then when the pass goes through to McDavid alone against Jones everyone’s going to say Matthews left his man and it’s his fault. It’s also his fault if he doesn’t leave his man who happens to be Edmonton’s best player alone with the goalie?

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
Toronto needs a bad cop behind the bench. Several unemployed coaches out there who could turn this around. Toronto has too much talent to be frittering away so many games. Clearly the current voice in the room isn't working.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018

There’s 4 other guys on the ice that I equally dislike, I can criticize them too if you want considering the whole team is trash

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016

Matthews literally just stood behind McDavid passively and provided a perfect screen on the goal.
If he played that correctly he would have been been physically engaged with McDavid and at least trying to get him away from the front of the net. I'm not saying AM is a bad defensive player, because I think he is a bit above average for forwards, but on this play there was no effort.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
This makes no sense. What’s Matthews supposed to do - chase the player and leave McDavid alone in front of the net?

Then when the pass goes through to McDavid alone against Jones everyone’s going to say Matthews left his man and it’s his fault. It’s also his fault if he doesn’t leave his man who happens to be Edmonton’s best player alone with the goalie?
Yes it does make sense, since Reilly completely abandoned McDavid to go protect the corners of the rink, Matthews needs to clear McDavid out of Jones line of sight, so jones can actually see the shot. Matthews should not have chased McLeod, positionally he was where he should've been, sort of, but Matthews allowed McDavid to essentially have complete impunity in the front of the net to 100% obstruct Jones view of the shot. Again poor defending by EVERY Leaf on the ice.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
This is absolutely it. Any other personnel changes will be superficial in nature and will continue to buttress Shanahan's "vision". I honestly thought that the Leafs would move one of their "big 4" with a new GM, but now it looks like they will be saddled with all of them and it seems right now, the focus is to try to make this current configuration work. On paper some things look good, whereas in practice not the case. Vegas was a good case study in that you don't need a ton of top heavy offensive contracts - a lot of good role players and guys with grit made that team what looks like a perennial contender. The Leafs have never been short on offence and for sure, that's one of their key strengths. But the imbalance between that and their defence and goaltending is pretty evident. They are not going to be able to improve in the other two areas unless they sacrifice something in the first area...which apparently Shanahan is not willing to do, signing Nylander now long term.
Oh , now it's nothing will change till Shannys gone.
Been hearing this in Toronto since the Ballard days.
Yea , that's it. A new president will turn this team around. ha !!

Last edited:

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Only saw the highlights and looked like they gave up a bunch of chances again and Jones was fair in nets. Wouldn't say the loss is on him, but rather the defense/defensive play
Are you saying there is something wrong with this defence?

GEBP_DlaQAA6sIj.jpg

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Don't understand why Keefe is here, because I don't think it's on merit, I think it's cause the players probably like him. Treliving shoulda started with a clean slate when he came into the org, because it still feels like the exact same Leafs from past seasons. Although Shanahan is probably an even greater concern to the Leafs success. I don't think the Leafs are contenders with Keefe, I think they need a big change up and a coach that won't be afraid to discipline them. I can't remember the last time the Leafs had a resilient identity, but right now it's almost like they've been broken and submitted by other teams into being perennial chokers/underachievers.

Keefe has had 4 playoff appearances and has done f*** all aside from beating a worn out TBL where Vasilevskiy was not on form. They then got shut down ridiculously hard by the Panthers in 5 games, sure the Panthers were the best team in the East, but they didn't even put up a valiant fight. If the Leafs ever want to have marginal success in the playoffs, let alone a cup or finals appearance, they need a tough coach who is gonna make them work hard and beat it into them.

You're stuck with Reilly, Matthews, and Nylander for a long time, and Tavares and Marner are there for till the end of 24-25. It's not like you now need to worry Matthews or Nylander are gonna leave if you bring in a coach who will play them hard, and Marner can probably be resigned with Tavares big contract coming off the books.
Shanahan needs to give Mr. Creamm a call.

Are you saying there is something wrong with this defence?

View attachment 805058
Lmao 👍

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Craig Button is destroying the Maple Leafs after tonight's game.

That Hyman nogoal was sweet but he's not really wrong. Everyone standing around getting cooked by Hyman, and it gets disallowed. You'd think they would count their blessings and wake up, instead Ryan is just free infront of the net for a tap in. Crazy amounts of apathy in that level of defending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad