Are the Oilers a top 5 contender next season with Jack Campbell?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Oilers not a strong contender. But if they get hot goaltending for six weeks they are in the finals.
Like Preds in 2017 , Stars in 2021, Habs in 2022.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
How many teams can truly “trust” their goaltending?

I would love to hear the pundits ideas how the Oilers would have landed a better goalie than Campbell. Yes there were a couple other free agents but let’s not pretend they are proven to be better. How many other teams with maybe better goalies would be willing to deal them?

Also those that are saying the Oilers are a wildcard team with Campbell behind “that defence”. So, the Oilers finished 2nd last year in the division, Are you say Smith/Koskinen were a better duo than Campbell/Skinner? Are you day the Oilers D last year was better than this year? Which 2 teams in the Pacific are passing the Oilers exactly?

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013

I would love to hear the pundits ideas how the Oilers would have landed a better goalie than Campbell. Yes there were a couple other free agents but let’s not pretend they are proven to be better. How many other teams with maybe better goalies would be willing to deal them?

Also those that are saying the Oilers are a wildcard team with Campbell behind “that defence”. So, the Oilers finished 2nd last year in the division, Are you say Smith/Koskinen were a better duo than Campbell/Skinner? Are you day the Oilers D last year was better than this year? Which 2 teams in the Pacific are passing the Oilers exactly?
Calgary and Vegas have a great chance of doing so(and no this isn't due to current developments, even before the season started Edmonton was far from guaranteed a top 2 spot).

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Calgary and Vegas have a great chance of doing so(and no this isn't due to current developments, even before the season started Edmonton was far from guaranteed a top 2 spot).
You obviously don’t understand the exercise. In order for the Oilers to be a wildcard team, THREE teams need to finish ahead of them in the division. Calgary finished first last year quite handily and their team still looks solid, so let’s put them first this season… now name the other two teams that improved so much so that they are going to knock the Oilers 2 spots down in the standing to have to battle for a wildcard spot.

So Vegas’ goaltending is better than the Oilers? Show your work.

Reactions: 1989

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019

Iyla Samsonov is better, besides contract year for him.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Iyla Samsonov is better, besides contract year for him.
I know you hate the Oilers but c’mon, try a bit harder.

Sorry, but you’ll have to explain to me how a .903 career goalie is better than Campbell. Samsonov played more than 40 games last season for the first time is his career and was a .896.

If we would have signed Samsonov to be our starter there would have been even more LOLs… rightly so.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Jack Campbell is definitely better than he has shown so far but we all did warn Oiler fans that he was very inconsistent.

He struggles with the mental side of his game and the pressure of a new team and a big contract would be a lot for him to overcome. I do think he will eventually overcome it. I just hope the crowd doesn’t turn on him first it would just make things worse.

GlassesManbad

Oct 14, 2022
I know you hate the Oilers but c’mon, try a bit harder.

Sorry, but you’ll have to explain to me how a .903 career goalie is better than Campbell. Samsonov played more than 40 games last season for the first time is his career and was a .896.

If we would have signed Samsonov to be our starter there would have been even more LOLs… rightly so.
I'd rather have Samsonov. He's at 1.8. That Campbell deal I never liked. Not a bad goalie by any means though. Can be a solid platoon guy.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
This is who Jack is. Next 5 games, he might put up a .970 sv%. It's a wild ride, you just gotta hope on the bad nights, the team can help him out, which Edmonton didn't do on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad