Are the Oilers a top 5 contender next season with Jack Campbell?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GlassesManbad

Oct 14, 2022
Oilers had good goaltending last year. Leafs were bottom 5 and literally the worst after December 1st. So the answer is to grab Jack Campbell?
Oilers issue is D. their D is easily worse than Toronto's. Campbell might well struggle, but it's not all on him.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Campbell is going to be very up and down. That’s who he is.

That said, the Oilers D was brutal on Saturday. It would have been nice for Campbell to make another stop or two, but he isn’t the one who fell over backwards (Kulak), or failed to block out Backlund on a rebound.

PROGFAN66

Feb 10, 2019
It's really early to start discussing this to be honest. I don't blame the goaltender as much their defense and boxing out to prevent rebounds.

Without the special teams and McDavid & Draisaitl the Oilers would be 0-2.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I don't see this working out for the Oilers, especially long term. Campbell just is not reliable enough to take this Oilers team to the next level.

Reactions: thaman8765678

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
after 2 games the answer is clear. 2 games is all it took, I can't believe they didn't win their 2nd game of the season? Can you imagine only winning 1 game in 2? what a bunch of losers. Campbell has played with this defence for 2 games, so he should be better and know all the nuances of how they play. I can't believe it, 2 games! 2 games!! Fire Holland and Woodcroft! Trade everyone!

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
after 2 games the answer is clear. 2 games is all it took, I can't believe they didn't win their 2nd game of the season? Can you imagine only winning 1 game in 2? what a bunch of losers. Campbell has played with this defence for 2 games, so he should be better and know all the nuances of how they play. I can't believe it, 2 games! 2 games!! Fire Holland and Woodcroft! Trade everyone!
We have a few years of watching Campbell and know how bad he is.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Why trust Toronto’s goalie evaluation when they decided Matt Murray was a sufficient starter for a hopeful cup contender?
That’s an over simplification as there’s not a ton of great goalies (Avs)

If they signed Campbell 5 years people would be saying they up unless he was consistently above average, which likely won’t happen

Distinctly possible with Kuemper if he’d even go there

Murray is a stop gap who’s shorter lasting contract costs less

They can basically hold on to him until another goalie becomes available, and the length is tradeable

GlassesManbad

Oct 14, 2022
Jack Campbell had it easier with Toronto's D than he will this year. Last year they weren't allowing many shots either,

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Jack Campbell had it easier with Toronto's D than he will this year. Last year they weren't allowing many shots either,

Edmontons defence is more to blame than Jack Campbell, just downright horrendous. I feel bad for Jack, stuck behind that blue line for 5 years. GA is more of a team stat than it is solely goaltending.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
This guy is going to kill the Oilers season. Stewie may save it.
The Oilers blue line is going to kill the Oilers season. Nurse is the only legitimate defender they have. The rest of the guys would be a #7 on any real contender, or #6 on a bad team.

Nurse is a good 2nd pairing anchor, like a prime Phaneuf was, not stylistically but impact wise.

You got Murray, Bouchard, Ceci, Barrie, Kulak, that is gross.

GlassesManbad

Oct 14, 2022
Edmontons defence is more to blame than Jack Campbell, just downright horrendous. I feel bad for Jack, stuck behind that blue line for 5 years. GA is more of a team stat than it is solely goaltending.
Oh well big payday at least. He was great for 1.6 per on Toronto. 5 x 5 is risky.

Reactions: AvroArrow

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Oh well big payday at least. He was great for 1.6 per on Toronto. 5 x 5 is risky.
They're asking him to play like Shesterkin, he's a decent starter, not elite but not bad. But he's not good enough to carry a poor defense. If they can surround him with capable defenders, at least in the top 4, they'll see much better results

Reactions: GlassesManbad

NylanderBros

Jun 22, 2014
Sudbury, Ont
The oilers are a top contender with newly signed Jack Campbell. He has came up to a wild start posting a .874% and looks to bring them through the pacific division once again. Oilers looking very strong lead by defenceman Cody Ceci and Darnell Nurse.

• Haha
Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
they are a low tier playoff team, poor depth, defence and subpar goaltending.

Matthews to Arizona, McDavid to Toronto

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Their biggest weakness was defense and goaltending and they somehow managed to get worse at both.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Team is an absolute gas can defensively. Their stars are the ones leading the way too, Hyman/Kane/McDavid/Drai are among the worst on the team in their defensive numbers.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Edmonton has the worst general manager in all of hockey by so many magnitudes it's not even funny. Ken Holland makes Chuck Fletcher and Bill Guerin look like Steve Yzerman and Joe Sakic. It was never possible to be a contender with someone that incompetent running the show. This team fired Kevin Lowe then somehow managed to get 4 GMs in a row who were worse than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad