Are the Oilers a top 5 contender next season with Jack Campbell?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
It's drives me bonkers seeing the Oilers and Leafs continually have goalie issues... Both teams have extremely special players right now and this could be their times to push but it's just not gonna happen with their goalie stress every damn year

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
He's been really bad but Edmonton hasn't exactly defended well in front of him. Their defense is worse than last year as Kulak is a big downgrade on Keith. They need to give Skinner 2/3 of the starts and move some assets for a steady top 4 dman sooner rather than later.

Reactions: AvroArrow

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
1668175522429.png

Jack Campbell from December 1st, 2021 to today. Even if you go back to November 2021 with his insane month where he had like a .950sv%, his sv% only increases to .905sv%, so still below league average.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He's been really bad but Edmonton hasn't exactly defended well in front of him. Their defense is worse than last year as Kulak is a big downgrade on Keith. They need to give Skinner 2/3 of the starts and move some assets for a steady top 4 dman sooner rather than later.

It’s amazing how many last year put the blame solely on the goaltending.

They were the worst top4 team defensively I can think of.

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
It’s amazing how many last year put the blame solely on the goaltending.

They were the worst top4 team defensively I can think of.
Smith certainly had his gaffes but I thought he was really good for the most part. Even Koskinen was solid.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Campbell can't be this bad. It has to improve. That's the good news.

The D is not a Stanley Cup contending D. It won't really improve. That's the bad news.

I'd like to send 'props' to Devin Shore for doing his best in net last night as well!

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
View attachment 606498

Jack Campbell from December 1st, 2021 to today. Even if you go back to November 2021 with his insane month where he had like a .950sv%, his sv% only increases to .905sv%, so still below league average.
I actually crunched all of his numbers probably almost a week ago, including his playoff series against Tampa, as I don't think the NHL's website allows you a filter to combine the regular season with the playoffs, and I think it was .890% or .891%. I'd have to go search my post history for it.

It was actually .893%. But those numbers were before his last two games, so I'd assume it's probably down to an .891% or .892% after last night's drubbing, though his 2 goal on 37 shot game before that might have helped even it out.

Ahh, I ran them again and it's now .891% (including playoffs) over his last 48 games played in the league.

I ran Nedeljkovic's on the same day, but he's since had one game and it was a pretty good start of 2 goals on 29 shots game, but he was an .891% since the start of December of last year and 48 games worth.

I think only Mackenzie Blackwood and Joonas Korpisalo have been worse than that in that time period, at least out of full time NHL regular goalies and neither have even played half the games since December of 2021 that Campbell and Nedeljkovic have. Thomas Greiss has been pretty bad in that period also, but once again, no way he could have played close to 50 games since December of last year.

Campbell is really on a death streak right now and has been for close to one calendar year now. He's also showing why he was looked at as a busted draft pick for quite a while and couldn't make the league full time until he was 26 years old. It looked like he'd be another Markstrom, who had a lot of hype after he was drafted, but couldn't put it together in the NHL until he was about 26. Looking like Campbell's NHL highs could be over. I'm sure he'll put together a good string of play again, but there's a good chance he's already had his best seasons in the NHL. This is nothing shocking for a 30 year old player at any position, but it's much more noticeable in Campbell's case because of how bad his last almost 50 games have been.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Smith certainly had his gaffes but I thought he was really good for the most part. Even Koskinen was solid.
I don't agree on Koskinen. He was one of the worst goalies I've seen in the last 4 years. He had one solid season in 19-20, but was garbage the rest of the time. Let in a lot of brutally leaky goals, just terrible. I'm sure some team would have signed him for the NHL this year if he hadn't signed in Europe before the playoffs even ended, as teams love to recycle goalies.

Smith wasn't that bad the last 2 seasons, even though he was prone to some leaky, laughable goals and stick handling gaffes as well.

I did think Smith played well enough for the Oilers to at least not get swept in the WCF and potentially even win if the team weren't outplayed so much by Colorado. If you swapped teams with Francouz and Smith in that playoff series, I'm extremely confident the outcome is exactly the same. There were a couple games where they pretty much played evenly, but Colorado had 15 more shots on goal, so naturally Smith allowed one more goal than Francouz did in those games. I also remember Francouz keeping the Oilers in I think it was the last two games that were in Edmonton? He gave up some weak goals and kept Edmonton in it, but the shot disparity was too hard to overcome.

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
I don't agree on Koskinen. He was one of the worst goalies I've seen in the last 4 years. He had one solid season in 19-20, but was garbage the rest of the time. Let in a lot of brutally leaky goals, just terrible. I'm sure some team would have signed him for the NHL this year if he hadn't signed in Europe before the playoffs even ended, as teams love to recycle goalies.

Smith wasn't that bad the last 2 seasons, even though he was prone to some leaky, laughable goals and stick handling gaffes as well.

I did think Smith played well enough for the Oilers to at least not get swept in the WCF and potentially even win if the team weren't outplayed so much by Colorado. If you swapped teams with Francouz and Smith in that playoff series, I'm extremely confident the outcome is exactly the same. There were a couple games where they pretty much played evenly, but Colorado had 15 more shots on goal, so naturally Smith allowed one more goal than Francouz did in those games. I also remember Francouz keeping the Oilers in I think it was the last two games that were in Edmonton? He gave up some weak goals and kept Edmonton in it, but the shot disparity was too hard to overcome.
Ya I was referring mostly to last season. He took a lot of heat in Edmonton but he came in and held it down for the most part when they needed him. He wasn't a starter but he was a good tandem with Smith.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Considering Campbell has never gotten a team past the first round, you better hope he gets it together or McDavid learns to play in net as well as forward.

Last edited:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I have a feeling it's the Oilers goaltending coach. But if the Oilers trade Campbell, I predict that solidly he becomes that new teams' starter and brings them to greater heights.

Jack Campbell is a good goalie, maybe not with the Oilers (at least right now) and if they trade him he turns into a viable goaltender.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
It's drives me bonkers seeing the Oilers and Leafs continually have goalie issues... Both teams have extremely special players right now and this could be their times to push but it's just not gonna happen with their goalie stress every damn year
Drives me bonkers seeing Oiler and Leaf fans trying to shit on anyone. Period. This ridiculous back and forth all the idiots are having on the mains is just pure insanity, and makes the rest of us look bad by association.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
I watched the Oilers/Canes 1st period and he was the only reason the Canes were not up multiple goals. Grade A scoring chances left and right.

I doubt guys like Sorokin, Oettinger or Ullmark would have the same numbers playing for the Oilers.

Reactions: AvroArrow

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I’m not saying either the goalies were elite more of that Edmontons game plan was asking their goalies to stand on their heads.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I thought Kulak was anointed as a top-4 dman after the Habs trade. I see he has settled in as a bottom pairing dman as expected.

Campbell's nickname should be changed from Soup to Poop.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I watched the Oilers/Canes 1st period and he was the only reason the Canes were not up multiple goals. Grade A scoring chances left and right.

I doubt guys like Sorokin, Oettinger or Ullmark would have the same numbers playing for the Oilers.

I've only seen a couple of their games this year but that seems to be the case every time. Campbell getting thrown under the bus, scapegoated for that atrocious defence. It's a coincidence that every goalie that plays there has the exact same results.

Until their management actually holds themselves accountable for the blue line it'll never change. They have 1 NHL calibre top 4 D, and filled out the rest of the blue line with bottom pair or #7 D men. What else were people expecting to happen ?

I don't blame Woodcroft, you can only play the guys you have but get them some help lol

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Oh man, going back and reading the comments by Oiler fans being so confident they knew what Jack Campbell was, goin on about how he couldnt be worse than Smith etc etc, ignoring everything that I said about him.

Well, I think there is a lot of crow that needs to be eaten.

:popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad