Are the Oilers a top 5 contender next season with Jack Campbell?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
And Edmonton's arena is a beautiful looking building from the outside. Modern design and everything. Frankly I'm almost glad the latest Calgary arena plans got scrapped. What a boring looking place. Zero character.
The concept looked like a mega mall more than arena. Modern but no character or real design language.

Reactions: Rubi

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
True. The arena was once Calgary's pride and joy. Now its an embarrassment. I don't think many Flames fans would contend otherwise. You're kind of preaching to the choir bro. We all want a new entertainment facility... we just don't want to take a bath paying for it while billionaire owners get richer off the taxpayer's purse.
seriously. why should tax payers pay for a billionaires stadium. Im completely on Calgary side here!

Reactions: Rubi

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
The concept looked like a mega mall more than arena. Modern but no character or real design language.
Late stage capitalism at work lol. Most fast food restaurants look the same now too just a different logo. The great amalgamation is well under way lol

seriously. why should tax payers pay for a billionaires stadium. Im completely on Calgary side here!
I'm confused, are tax payers going to be banned from attending concerts and events there aside from flames games? Is the city of Calgary not going to benefit in any way shape or form from having a new arena? I get not being completely funded by tax payers but it makes me laugh a bit when people feel like any taxes going to build an arena in their city should come completely free to them.

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
Late stage capitalism at work lol. Most fast food restaurants look the same now too just a different logo. The great amalgamation is well under way lol

I'm confused, are tax payers going to be banned from attending concerts and events there aside from flames games? Is the city of Calgary not going to benefit in any way shape or form from having a new arena? I get not being completely funded by tax payers but it makes me laugh a bit when people feel like any taxes going to build an arena in their city should come completely free to them.

yes you are definitely confused. no one said tickets should be free if taxes paid for an arena. literally no one.
profits from events dont go to the city so why should the city pay for it?

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I'm not sold on Edmonton. LA took to them to seven without Doughty and Arvidsson.

Campbell should be better than Smith. Maybe that propels them a bit.

McDavid willed them to the conference finals.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I'm not sold on Edmonton. LA took to them to seven without Doughty and Arvidsson.

Then again, Nurse and Draisaitl were injured through that series too. If all of them were healthy, I doubt it'd have went to Game 7.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Then again, Nurse and Draisaitl were injured through that series too. If all of them were healthy, I doubt it'd have went to Game 7.
Then again you can say Nurse and Draisaitl were healthy enough to play. Doughty wasn't.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Only goalies that make the Oilers true contenders on paper would be the two Russians, Vasilevski or Shesterkin

Bill The Thrill 88

Sep 24, 2022
Top 5 in the West, maybe. Definitely not Top 5 in the league. It's even debatable whether they are the 5th best team in the Western Conference. This is a team that relies a bit too heavily on two guys, IMO. If McDavid or Draisaitl were ever out long-term they'd be screwed.

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016
Top 5 in the West, maybe. Definitely not Top 5 in the league. It's even debatable whether they are the 5th best team in the Western Conference. This is a team that relies a bit too heavily on two guys, IMO. If McDavid or Draisaitl were ever out long-term they'd be screwed.
Take Mathews and Marner off the Leafs, Makar and Mackinnon off the Avelanche, do you think these 2 teams go far?

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009

People use this as a knock but anything can happen in the playoffs. LA played well and that's good for them. At the end of the day, the Oilers prevailed and the series taught good lessons which were used vs. Calgary

Reactions: thesandman77

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
So far he had a rough start to both games. One he was able to recover from, the other he could not. Been saying it all along in this thread. Campbell is not a good starting goalie and has a lot of issues. He loves giving up weak goals which happened plenty last night.

Remember oiler fans talking about smith's inconsistency? Well they've already gotten to experience Campbell's 2 games in :laugh:

But that game last night... That's what leaf fans have been trying to warn you Oiler fans of. For over half the season the leafs were often playing from behind from the jump due to weak goals.

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
yes you are definitely confused. no one said tickets should be free if taxes paid for an arena. literally no one.
profits from events dont go to the city so why should the city pay for it?
Cities benefit a lot by having a venue. It creates jobs and draws a ton of people out spending money. It's a contentious debate on who should pay for them, owners obviously press for the city to take on the cost.

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
This guy is going to kill the Oilers season. Stewie may save it.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Campbell will get it together. But that D-corps is still atrocious.
Easier to blame one than six. Oilers fans will have Campbell tarred and feather and roped to a freight train heading out of town by Christmas. After all.. this is the same group that believes Nurse and Ceci is a top 2 defensive pairing and Kulak is just fine as their #3 dman.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Would be interested to have been a fly on the wall when Edmonton decided on Jack Campbell entering free agency. Darcy Kuemper was reportedly an Oiler target before he was traded to Colorado before 2021-22 and has roots in Western Canada. Kind of interesting they didn't revisit Kuemper and were focused on Soup.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Would be interested to have been a fly on the wall when Edmonton decided on Jack Campbell entering free agency. Darcy Kuemper was reportedly an Oiler target before he was traded to Colorado before 2021-22 and has roots in Western Canada. Kind of interesting they didn't revisit Kuemper and were focused on Soup.
Not all players want to come home, Kuemper is from Western Canada but his whole career thus far has been in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad