Are the Oilers a top 5 contender next season with Jack Campbell?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Please stop pretending like you know one way or the other how smith was thought of in the locker room. Players giving lip service on people they don’t like is nothing new.
If it was once or twice some lip service was said, sure. But over the course of 3 years it was a common theme, talked about and brought up over and over by players without having to be asked about it. You could easilly see it on the ice too. So yeh, Smith was great in the lockerroom.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
@TheNumber4
that’s good. But you have no idea. If you could please refrain from assuming you know exactly what’s going on in the dressing room than the Pr bits players put out that would be great.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
It's not, I just find it amusing that you're pumping the tires of your mediocre division when the only half-decent threat to anything was the Blues.

The west sucks. Both Central (apart from Colorado) and the Pacific are not great.
To be fair, the Eastern Conference does have a lot of good teams but half of their teams were bad... really bad.... Teams like Montreal, Philly, NJ, Ottawa, Detroit, Buffalo, Columbus, and the Islanders. The top eight of that conference feasted on those teams thus inflating their win/loss records. Everyone of those eight bottom teams has a losing record with the exception of the Islanders who managed to scrape together 2 more wins than their 35 regulation losses. Out of the 16 teams in the West, only five had losing records (Arizona, Seattle, Chicago, Anaheim, and San Jose).

Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Please stop pretending to know anything about the Oilers or their locker room. Smith was beloved in the locker room, players spoke of his leadership constantly for years.
So Smith has changed? There are players who played for the Coyotes and Flames that don't think so highly of Smith's leadership skills over the years. He's always been known as someone quick to point the finger of blame at anyone but himself. Frankly IMO that's not leadership.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
So Smith has changed? There are players who played for the Coyotes and Flames that don't think so highly of Smith's leadership skills over the years. He's always been known as someone quick to point the finger of blame and anyone but himself. Frankly IMO that's not leadership.
I don’t know about those players on the Flames or Yotes that spoke badly of Smith (if they even exist, a source would be nice). But there were zero issues in Edmonton. Dude was a heart and soul leader for this group on and off the ice.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I don’t know about those players on the Flames or Yotes that spoke badly of Smith (if they even exist, a source would be nice). But there were zero issues in Edmonton. Dude was a heart and soul leader for this group on and off the ice.
Source: ‘I want it to be true’

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Mike Smith, a true leader and loved by all...

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
So Smith has changed? There are players who played for the Coyotes and Flames that don't think so highly of Smith's leadership skills over the years. He's always been known as someone quick to point the finger of blame at anyone but himself. Frankly IMO that's not leadership.
This is true. Some Flames players did not like Smith in the locker room.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
You would be cranky too if you were stuck playing for the Yotes or Flames

• Haha
Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Mike Smith, a true leader and loved by all...

1. He didn’t blame fans. He noted that the Oilers were off their game due to being overly excited about the crowds energy. I made the exact same assessment after that game in the 2nd period. McD and Drai and others said the same after that game, cause that’s exactly what happened.

2. TNT speculates he’s reaming out a defenceman but has no proof.

3. The Arizona video sounds like Smith is telling it exactly like it is. A team checked out at the end of the season.

You can wonder about Mike Smiths leadership and think whatever you want. Your thoughts (speculation) on his leadership is irrelevant. The only people it matters to are his teammates and his teammates in Edmonton appreciated his leadership. As did the fanbase.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
@TheNumber4
that’s good. But you have no idea. If you could please refrain from assuming you know exactly what’s going on in the dressing room than the Pr bits players put out that would be great.

I have a lot more of an idea than any of the non-Oilers fans that speculate on Smiths leadership based on 10 second video clips and hearsay.

I’ve watched 3 years of Smith with the Oilers, all 99 of his games. I’ve listened to 3 years of pressers with players speaking to his leadership. Plus media members and team insiders talk about his leadership. His leadership isn’t even a question in Edmonton, there is ZERO doubt that he was a huge leader in the dressing room.

This same lack of knowledge about the Oilers that you exhibit is the same ignorance that fuelled all the talk about the Oilers questions in net and how they could never win with that tandem. Well we were able to win with that tandem. The experts were wrong, Oilers fans that knew the team were right.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I have a lot more of an idea than any of the non-Oilers fans that speculate on Smiths leadership based on 10 second video clips and hearsay.

I’ve watched 3 years of Smith with the Oilers, all 99 of his games. I’ve listened to 3 years of pressers with players speaking to his leadership. Plus media members and team insiders talk about his leadership. His leadership isn’t even a question in Edmonton, there is ZERO doubt that he was a huge leader in the dressing room.

This same lack of knowledge about the Oilers that you exhibit is the same ignorance that fuelled all the talk about the Oilers questions in net and how they could never win with that tandem. Well we were able to win with that tandem. The experts were wrong, Oilers fans that knew the team were right.
3 paragraphs to seems awful long to say ‘I’m not in the room. I don’t really know what he’s like’

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Absolutely not, they lucked out getting past LA who didn't even have Doughty.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You got a division rival that you match up well against? Not exactly a strong win, what happened against Coloardo again?
Well at least you know it wasn’t luck. Beats your last take. We win 4 in a row to close it, decently strong. Stronger than barely winning in 7 against the worst 1st round team in League history (the Leafs).

Colorado proved to be the best team in the League? Much better than even the Cap Cheating Lightning, which is no small feat.

Reactions: PuckG

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Midget players have more heart than McDavid and Drai put together.
Yah good take...Neither guy put up much of an effort in these playoffs. Especially Draisaitl. All he did was complain about having to play on an ankle that should have put him in a walking boot. Anyone with half a heart would have just soldiered on and try to help the team.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Yah good take...Neither guy put up much of an effort in these playoffs. Especially Draisaitl. All he did was complain about having to play on an ankle that should have put him in a walking boot. Anyone with half a heart would have just soldiered on and try to help the team.
Draisaitl was plenty fine when they had the puck, labored like mad on defense. Please, I watched him sell that injury to avoid defensive responsibilities.

Now go back and watch Val in that series so you know what heart looks like.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Draisaitl was plenty fine when they had the puck, labored like mad on defense. Please, I watched him sell that injury to avoid defensive responsibilities.

Now go back and watch Val in that series so you know what heart looks like.
You seriously believe this don't you. It's a ridiculous take that pretty much eliminates any credibility that any of your other posts might have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad