Are the Oilers a top 5 contender next season with Jack Campbell?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magic 8 Ball

Sep 27, 2021
The Netherworld
In sum, my guess is that Campbell's presence alone doesn't really change much to the Oilers, but I think he will continue the improvement of the team culture. (Zach Hyman and Evander Kane were very important in this regard, also.)
Campbell does seem like a good locker room guy....but, improvement of the team culture and Evander Kane aren't two things that have ever gone together. He may have toed the company line last year, but let's see what happens now that he has stability with a nice contract. He will regress to a distraction eventually.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Campbell does seem like a good locker room guy....but, improvement of the team culture and Evander Kane aren't two things that have ever gone together. He may have toed the company line last year, but let's see what happens now that he has stability with a nice contract. He will regress to a distraction eventually.
That's what I thought, too, when they acquired him.

But it almost immediately became clear that they had been lacking a bad-ass, irreverent type, to keep everyone loose and do some He-Man damage out there. There are too many polite librarians on the Oilers.

I do agree that Kane is bound to self-implode off the ice at some point, given his pattern, but hopefully not any time soon...

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Campbell is a huge upgrade over Mike Smith in the Locker room. I can’t see Jack throwing his defense corpse under the bus or throwing F bombs at his bench during the TV timeout after he lets in a bad goal.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Campbell is a huge upgrade over Mike Smith in the Locker room. I can’t see Jack throwing his defense corpse under the bus or throwing F bombs at his bench during the TV timeout after he lets in a bad goal.
Please stop pretending to know anything about the Oilers or their locker room. Smith was beloved in the locker room, players spoke of his leadership constantly for years.

Reactions: Duke74

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I'd say yes, he was in the top 6 in a more difficult conference, so I would say that they could win the conference and go to the finals.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Campbell is just too inconsistent to predict anything. Sometimes he looks like the best goalie in the world, then he looks like Glen Healy. He always took accountability, even if it wasn't his fault he would take it upon himself. Just depends on if he can stay healthy. I think the problem with Campbell is that he needs a good back up to take some of the pressure off him. Ideally you'd wanna give him about 45-50 games, he wasn't used to the starter role and it took a toll on his body here. Edmonton should try and get a decent backup so they can keep him fresh. It can't be a coincidence that every time his workload increased and he had to play in consecutive games, he got injured.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
More than I was of Edmonton tbh.
Ah yes the Dallas Stars with their plethora of "Damn this goalie is actually playing good too bad everyone else sucks" and the perpetual ticket to round 2 in Minnesota. Really scary.

Hey, at least you got lucky with Vegas not being around this time.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Ah yes the Dallas Stars with their plethora of "Damn this goalie is actually playing good too bad everyone else sucks" and the perpetual ticket to round 2 in Minnesota. Really scary.
I bet we don't sweep Minnesota or Dallas. Edmonton is weak homie, this opinion isn't uncommon. I'm sorry if this is upsetting to you.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I bet we don't sweep Minnesota or Dallas. Edmonton is weak homie, this opinion isn't uncommon. I'm sorry if this is upsetting to you.
It's not, I just find it amusing that you're pumping the tires of your mediocre division when the only half-decent threat to anything was the Blues.

The west sucks. Both Central (apart from Colorado) and the Pacific are not great.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We beat Vegas this year. You guys probably won't this coming season though.
1663693533810.png
Super scared.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
But if the Pacific sucks so hard then why do we have to worry?
I don't care buddy, you aren't worth interacting with. This is a pointless discussion because I hurt your feelings when I said the Oilers aren't contenders. I've apologized twice for triggering you. What more can I do?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't care buddy, you aren't worth interacting with. This is a pointless discussion because I hurt your feelings when I said the Oilers aren't contenders. I've apologized twice for triggering you. What more can I do?
The funny thing is that I never actually said the Oilers are contenders. I said the Avs and Bolts were and you turned it into this bashfest. You're arguing against a point I never actually made.

Go ahead and ask any Oilers fan, I'm the hardest on the team around.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
The funny thing is that I never actually said the Oilers are contenders. I said the Avs and Bolts were and you turned it into this bashfest. You're arguing against a point I never actually made.

Go ahead and ask any Oilers fan, I'm the hardest on the team around.
It appeared to be sarcasm. If it wasn't then okay.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Pacific division is a joke, we don't need to debate this.
The Pacific's cumulative record vs the Atlantic was 66 46 16 = 148 pts
vs the Met was 65 41 20 = 150 pts
The Met vs the Pacific 62 46 20 = 144 pts
The Atl vs the Pacific 62 56 9 = 133 pts

That's 188 games between the divisions with the Pacific coming out ahead in both cases.

There were a lot of weak teams in both eastern divisions. Seattle had at least a .500% vs Buffalo, Detroit, Montreal, Columbus New Jersey, NYI, and Ottawa. That's 7 of the 8 non-playoff teams. Their combined record vs this group was
8-2-4
and if you throw in Philly their record was 8-3-5. Their combined record vs the whole of the east was 13-13-6. That is an 82 point pace.

Anaheim's record vs the East: 15-9-8. Pace = 97 points
San Jose's record vs East: 15-12-5 . Pace= 90 points

So there is how the bottom of the "ultra weak" Pacific fared vs the all powerful East.

Your evidence is????

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Please stop pretending to know anything about the Oilers or their locker room. Smith was beloved in the locker room, players spoke of his leadership constantly for years.
Please stop pretending like you know one way or the other how smith was thought of in the locker room. Players giving lip service on people they don’t like is nothing new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad