Are the Oilers a top 5 contender next season with Jack Campbell?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
the "Edmonton is no good" thread on CP is the single most embarrassing thread ever, and the most active
imagine being so obsessed with all things Edmonton, you have a thread dedicated to us

we really live in Flames fans head
Threads dedicated to bashing rivals sounds fun. Not a sdefinitive sign of obsession that's a little dramatic, damn.

Reactions: perronist

The90

Feb 27, 2017
No it isnt...Are you new to hockey??
Lol. No. I can however see past a hot goalie carrying a defence that got cratered once he cooled off.

The cross checks gave you warm fuzzies, they didn’t stop the puck or prevent scoring chances. Chiarot et all got caved and bailed out by Price. Everyone but the fan boys recognized it.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Lol. No. I can however see past a hot goalie carrying a defence that got cratered once he cooled off.

The cross checks gave you warm fuzzies, they didn’t stop the puck or prevent scoring chances. Chiarot et all got caved and bailed out by Price. Everyone but the fan boys recognized it.
Sorry,yes that blueline was predicated entirely on size,which worked ...Well with Price being able to see and stop the first shot ...But its vital flaw in the end was a lack of skill and speed overall...The team that punished them was a team that had everything you could want in a top 4 ...Tampa had Savard on their 3rd par for crying out loud

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Sorry,yes that blueline was predicated entirely on size,which worked ...Well with Price being able to see and stop the first shot ...But its vital flaw in the end was a lack of skill and speed overall...The team that punished them was a team that had everything you could want in a top 4 ...Tampa had Savard on their 3rd par for crying out loud
Lol. Price worked though. You got caved on shots and chances and won. You had pedestrian stats from everyone but the right bounce and goals at the right time. Not even close to what you’re trying to make it out to be. Price was 80% responsible for that. The defence 20%. Tampa and Colorado could’ve won with shooter tutor’s. Entirely different and not even in the same comparison.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Lol. Price worked though. You got caved on shots and chances and won. You had pedestrian stats from everyone but the right bounce and goals at the right time. Not even close to what you’re trying to make it out to be. Price was 80% responsible for that. The defence 20%. Tampa and Colorado could’ve won with shooter tutor’s. Entirely different and not even in the same comparison.
Iam not a Habs fan,and shots are not everything....We made the 3rd round playing the exact way in Ottawa...A heavy defense to guard the net ,allow as many shots from the outside all day long clear the rebound...Toronto did exactly what Montreal was doing to us having the puck with loads of permeter shots that the goalie always stops....Then tiring out in the 3rd allowing us to take advantage and score in droves....Its called defense quick,allow shot clear rebound

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Iam not a Habs fan,and shots are not everything....We made the 3rd round playing the exact way in Ottawa...A heavy defense to guard the net ,allow as many shots from the outside all day long clear the rebound...Toronto did exactly what Montreal was doing to us having the puck with loads of permeter shots that the goalie always stops....Then tiring out in the 3rd allowing us to take advantage and score in droves....Its called defense quick,allow shot clear rebound
Lol

The90

Feb 27, 2017
The Leafs had the puck more had more shots and still lost....Its exactly what happened,the Habs learned well from the beatdown we gave them by doing the exact thing to you guys...
Lol. You’re almost there.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
You can continue by yourself,if you dont understand strategy and team construction based on this...Then thats not on me
Strategy: let Carey bail us out.

Team construction, lacking, aside from Carey Price.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
So, three of four games were one-goal games, but it wasn't close at all.

Got it.
My aunt/ uncle says that if you got swept, it’s not close.

Clueless...They had Price for 10 years beforehand ,what changed???When you figure it out get back to me
I’m good. I’m also done derailing the thread because you lack the ability to comprehend what you’re watching. Shit defence, excellent goalie. Happens every few years.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
My aunt/ uncle says that if you got swept, it’s not close.

I’m good. I’m also done derailing the thread because you lack the ability to comprehend what you’re watching. Shit defence, excellent goalie. Happens every few years.
You dont luck your way to a final,nor goaltend your way there dude..But its ok if you dont understand how the game is played

The90

Feb 27, 2017
You dont luck your way to a final,nor goaltend your way there dude..But its ok if you dont understand how the game is played
You’re probably right. I only played with or against ~30% of the players in the cup finals that year. Including ‘Savard on the third pairing for crying out loud’. Maybe if I hit 40% I’ll get your fabled understanding of how hockey is played :)

• Haha
Reactions: Rengorlex

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You’re probably right. I only played with or against ~30% of the players in the cup finals that year. Including ‘Savard on the third pairing for crying out loud’. Maybe if I hit 40% I’ll get your fabled understanding of how hockey is played :)
They played bar the crease ,you should understand this....Price was a huge factor but that defense was built to allow him to see the shots he would stop 98% of the time and to control rebounds...That is how they made it as far as they did,and why their defense was purpose built ....I dont get why we are arguing here,anyone could see the average size of that top 4 and see what Montreal was trying to do

The90

Feb 27, 2017
They played bar the crease ,you should understand this....Price was a huge factor but that defense was built to allow him to see the shots he would stop 98% of the time and to control rebounds...That is how they made it as far as they did,and why their defense was purpose built ....I dont get why we are arguing here,anyone could see the average size of that top 4 and see what Montreal was trying to do
Right on. I’m about to go coach my little guy. Just about to leave for the rink. You wanna come help out? Seems like you have it all figured out. I’ll see myself out.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Right on. I’m about to go coach my little guy. Just about to leave for the rink. You wanna come help out? Seems like you have it all figured out. I’ll see myself out.
Do you any 6.4 230 pound defenders??I know Montreal had 4 of them,all of them willing to hammer anyone that came close to Price,s crease....

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
This is pure ignorance talking. The Leafs are in a FAR tougher division than the Oilers. If Toronto played in the Pacific, they would've easily made it to the WCF. Chirping Leaf fans about losing to Tampa in Round 1 when the Oilers got SMOKED 4-0 by Colorado (the first decent team they faced) is kind of weak man.
oilers beat a team better (in every metric) than the team who beat the leafs....

Last edited:

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
You keep repeating the games were close but look at it this my way.

Game 1: Firewagon game. The Avs amassed a big lead scoring 8 points. The Oilers were never really at the precipice of winning in spite of narrowing the lead late. This game was like a basketball game that’s never in doubt but a last minute 3 makes the score more respectable.

Game 2: Edmonton was dominated by Francouz in a decisive and comfortable win.

Game 3: Big push by Edmonton at home to make it a series. Close game. But not enough ammunition to close the deal. Game 3 was part of JT Compher’s highlight reel.

Game 4: Edmonton pushed ahead 3-1 going into the 3rd. Then the Avs woke up and decided it’s winning time. Twice Edmonton had a two goal lead but it was hardly insurmountable for a better and faster Avs team. This game was somewhat the inverse of game 1, except the Avs closed out game 1 when the Oilers couldn’t do the same in game 4.

In the 4 games, game 4 was probably the Oilers best total showing. But the Avs sleep walked through 2/3 of that game and still won.

Previously, I said the Avs were a faster team. I realize the Oilers like to play with pace because of 97. But there’s more to being a fast team than that. The Oilers had 1 or 2 elite skaters. The Avs had at least 4. But it’s not just about skating. It’s about playing fast which also means reading the game and having the skill to go with it. The Avs dominated the series because they’re a faster team than the Oilers in various regards.

Additionally, the Avs defensemen are night and day better than what Edmonton has. They also play fast and are a big reason Edmonton’s breakaways were negated. I know Oilers fans mostly remember their opportunities and near misses but I think they’re also forgetting how much of those games were played at their defensive end of the ice.

My opinion: the Avs have a big advantage in the brain trust running the team and I kind of feel like Edmonton would be better off replacing the dinosaurs. Holland isn’t awful but does he have the vision for 2023?
fixed that for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad