Are the Oilers a top 5 contender next season with Jack Campbell?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Insecurity runs slightly behind hate in the gamut of emotions of some posters. If you think its bad on the main boards you should read their ATL thread once the season starts. Its just crazy.
the "Edmonton is no good" thread on CP is the single most embarrassing thread ever, and the most active
imagine being so obsessed with all things Edmonton, you have a thread dedicated to us

we really live in Flames fans head

Big Stick Rick 99

Sep 17, 2022
Nope. IMO that Campbell contract is going to be talked about as one of the worst in the league, and sooner rather than later. Paying a career 1B $6 million (Jacob Markstrom money) over 6 years is a pretty big risk. I wasn't impressed by his performance as a starter in Toronto, and neither were the Leafs who opted to go with Matt Murray instead.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
All of that. And they still got swept by the Avs despite many oilers fans getting pissy at posters for underestimating the oilers going into that series. Lets just say the only people shocked they got swept were Oiler fans The rest of us saw the Oilers for what they were. Average. McDavid played out of his mind and they were still no where close enough.

No one was beating the Avs this year. That was the culmination of about 8 years of work by that franchise and leveraging fully the bargain basement 6 million dollar MacKinnon deal and several other value contracts which weren't going to last.

Colorado mandhandled Tampa too.

The Oilers with Draisaitl playing on one leg and Nurse badly injured the week before the playoffs started were always going to be in tough against Colorado, but with those two pieces playing half crippled, it was asking for a miracle. I think if healthy (reasonably), that would have been a 6 game series, not a sweep though, all the games except game 2 were close.

Given two catastrophic injuries like that, the Oilers played with a lot of heart just getting that far.

Big Stick Rick 99

Sep 17, 2022
All I see is a guy who can’t handle ex Leafs doing well on other teams. Just because you don’t watch hockey beyond your team, doesn’t mean you’re not ignorant.

Like I mentioned earlier, I really don’t give a shit what you think. My team made it to the WCF while your team got respect in the handshake line while you whined about reffing.

This is pure ignorance talking. The Leafs are in a FAR tougher division than the Oilers. If Toronto played in the Pacific, they would've easily made it to the WCF. Chirping Leaf fans about losing to Tampa in Round 1 when the Oilers got SMOKED 4-0 by Colorado (the first decent team they faced) is kind of weak man.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
No one was beating the Avs this year. That was the culmination of about 8 years of work by that franchise and leveraging fully the bargain basement 6 million dollar MacKinnon deal and several other value contracts which weren't going to last.

The Oilers with Draisaitl playing on one leg and Nurse badly injured the week before the playoffs started were always going to be in tough against Colorado, but with those two pieces playing half crippled, it was asking for a miracle. I think if healthy (reasonably), that would have been a 6 game series, not a sweep though, all the games except game 2 were close.

Given two catastrophic injuries like that, the Oilers played with a lot of heart just getting that far.
And if Brayden Point wasn't injured Tampa couldve beat the Avs. Too bad this is reality where injuries happen to every team and therefore are not an excuse for performing poorly

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This is pure ignorance talking. The Leafs are in a FAR tougher division than the Oilers. If Toronto played in the Pacific, they would've easily made it to the WCF. Chirping Leaf fans about losing to Tampa in Round 1 when the Oilers got SMOKED 4-0 by Colorado (the first decent team they faced) is kind of weak man.

Avs would've swept Toronto too, especially if Marner was playing on one leg and Reilly had a torn hip flexor. This was just their year.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
And if Brayden Point wasn't injured Tampa couldve beat the Avs. Too bad this is reality where injuries happen to every team and therefore are not an excuse for performing poorly

Maybe they would have. Losing your 2nd best forward and no.1 D to injuries where they basically can't even skate properly would take a toll on any team, even Colorado, not sure if they win a Cup if Rantanen has a high ankle sprain and Makar has a fully torn hip flexor.

And I already stated Colorado would win the series even if the Oilers were 100% healthy and the Avs were 100% healthy, so I am giving them full credit.

I don't see any team beating them last season, they would've destroyed Toronto too.

Reactions: Duke74

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Meh. Tampa at least gave Colorado a challenge and so did St. Louis. As for injuries Colorado was missing Girard and Kuemper was playing injured. And Kadri as well. No doubt they had other injuries just like every team.
Win a game or two and you can complain about injuries etc. Get swept and you just have to acknowledge you weren’t in the same league as the winning team.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Meh. Tampa at least gave Colorado a challenge and so did St. Louis. As for injuries Colorado was missing Girard and Kuemper was playing injured. And Kadri as well. No doubt they had other injuries just like every team.
Win a game or two and you can complain about injuries etc. Get swept and you just have to acknowledge you weren’t in the same league as the winning team.

No one was in Colorado's league last year. Not one of the series they played in was close. Did they even trail in any of the series' they played in?

But Colorado is not the same team anymore either.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
No one was in Colorado's league last year. Not one of the series they played in was close. Did they even trail in any of the series' they played in?

But Colorado is not the same team anymore either.
Tampa and St. Louis both gave them a good series at least. Edmonton not so much. And Tampa and St. Louis had injuries every bad as Edmonton.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Tampa and St. Louis both gave them a good series. Edmonton not so much.

Tampa and St. Louis didn't have the same injuries to key players that Edmonton did, but there's no shame in not being as good as Tampa either.

You guys make it seem like OMG, the Oilers should be ashamed of themselves, lol, gimme a break. They had a good playoffs and could've folded up shop in round 2, game 1 when Calgary thought they were whooping it up to an easy victory and Draisaitl hobbling around the ice. They showed balls to get back into that series and fight back and take over, this is something the Leafs honestly need to learn.

Even in the Colorado series, they kept fighting back in basically every game, other than game 2 which was a defensive masterpiece from the Avs.

It's not always about skill, it's about how you handle adversity and whether there is some fire in that belly or not. Oilers actually showed some in the playoffs.

Big Stick Rick 99

Sep 17, 2022
Avs would've swept Toronto too, especially if Marner was playing on one leg and Reilly had a torn hip flexor. This was just their year.

I'm not sure about that. Toronto would've taken it at least 6 I think. Edmonton was just completely outmanned. And to be fair Colorado had some pretty significant injuries themselves. Edmonton just wasn't on their level.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm not sure about that. Toronto would've taken it at least 6 I think. Edmonton was just completely outmanned. And to be fair Colorado had some pretty significant injuries themselves. Edmonton just wasn't on their level.

No one was on the Avs level. They would beat Toronto in 5, if Toronto had serious injuries, probably 4. If Tampa wasn't gassed from two Cup runs they probably would've beat Toronto in 6 too, that went 7 because Toronto was able to take advantage of the Bolts not having as much in the tank as previous years. Still enough to win anyway.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Tampa and St. Louis didn't have the same injuries to key players that Edmonton did, but there's no shame in not being as good as Tampa either.

You guys make it seem like OMG, the Oilers should be ashamed of themselves, lol, gimme a break. They had a good playoffs and couldn't folded up shop in round 2, game 1 when Calgary thought they were whooping it up to an easy victory. They should've balls to get back into that series and fight back, this is something the Leafs honestly need to learn.

It's not always about skill, it's about how you handle adversity and whether there is some fire in that belly or not. Oilers actually showed some in the playoffs.
Tampa and St. Louis had injuries just like Edmonton and Colorado. St. Louis lost their starting goalie and Tampa lost Point, one of the top playoff performers of this era.
And Colorado lost Girard.
Those players couldn’t even suit up.
I’m sure every team had key players playing injured.
As for the Oilers being ashamed of themselves, I think they should be proud as they went further than many projected. But I’d say the same for any team that gets swept. No lame excuses unless you win at least a couple of games and make a series of it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Tampa and St. Louis had injuries worse than Edmonton as St. Louis lost their starting goalie and Tampa lost Point, one of the top playoff performers of this era.
And Colorado lost Girard.
Those players couldn’t even suit up.
I’m sure every team had key players playing injured.
As for the Oilers being ashamed of themselves, I think they should be proud as they went further than many projected. But I’d say the same for any team that gets swept. No lame excuses unless you win at least a couple of games and make a series of it.

Not even close. First of all Smith was hurt for the Oilers too, he was hurt in game 3 of the season and was never healthy after that, lol.

Draisaitl is the 2nd best player in the world arguably, so with due respect, other injuries are not even close, he's a huge loss.

Girard is not Colorado's no.1 D. Lets see how far they would go with Makar playing with a fully torn hip flexor, to say it would make no difference is just flat out lying.

There's no excuses either way because the Oilers weren't going to win that series, but no one else was going to either. Colorado was the best team in the league by a fair amount last year, no one was even pushing the Avs to 7 games.

I give the Oilers credit for fighting back in a lot of those games, most teams would quit if they were down 2-3 goals to the Avs, the Oilers kept fighting back in 3/4 games. That was a big lesson learned, lots of teams still don't know how to respond to playoff adversity.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Not even close. First of all Smith was hurt for the Oilers too, he was hurt in game 3 of the season and was never healthy after that, lol.

Draisaitl is the 2nd best player in the world arguably, so with due respect, other injuries are not even close, he's a huge loss.

Girard is not Colorado's no.1 D. Lets see how far they would go with Makar playing with a fully torn hip flexor, to say it would make no difference is just flat out lying.

There's no excuses either way because the Oilers weren't going to win that series, but no one else was going to either. Colorado was the best team in the league by a fair amount last year, no one was even pushing the Avs to 7 games.

I give the Oilers credit for fighting back in a lot of those games, most teams would quit if they were down 2-3 goals to the Avs, the Oilers kept fighting back in 3/4 games.
That’s a one sided view focusing only on the Oilers injuries. Every team had similar injuries and some so bad the players couldn’t even play. Draisaitl and Nurse were both able to play and contribute.
I give the Oilers credit for beating LA and Flames but I don’t give them credit for being swept by the Avalanche, lame excuses or not. Win a couple of games and I’d say they at least made a competitive series out of it like some of the better teams that Colorado faced.
Anyways my last post as clearly we saw the series completely differently.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That’s a one sided view focusing only on the Oilers injuries. Every team had similar injuries and some so bad the players couldn’t even play. Draisaitl and Nurse were both able to play and contribute.
I give the Oilers credit for beating LA and Flames but I don’t give them credit for being swept by the Avalanche, lame excuses or not. Win a couple of games and I’d say they at least made a competitive series out of it like some of the better teams that Colorado faced.
Anyways my last post as clearly we saw the series completely differently.

Nurse was probably a liability in all honesty, he was maybe 20% of the player, it's a miracle to even be able to skate at all on a torn hip flexor, trying to play hockey in that state is bordering on insanity.

Draisaitl gutted it out in the Calgary series but you could see by the Colorado series he was really in dire straights. A high ankle sprain is a brutal injury for hockey.

I mean injuries happen to every team but having injuries to your no.2 forward and a player as good as Draisaitl is, your no.1 D crippled, your no.1 goalie playing hurt too ... that's a f***ing lot, lol.

I think it was a good experience for the Oilers though. They learned not to feel sorry for themselves and suck it up. Bad things happen, are you going to punch back or feel sorry for yourself? Oilers started punching back. Toronto and Calgary are teams that still don't do this IMO. When things start to go a bit sideways for them, they end up bending and then breaking.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
So how do you explain dropping a 3-1 series lead to the Habs? Or the Jackets the year before?

Enough with the ridiculousness. At least try and be consistent with your logic.

Reactions: Rengorlex

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If anything last playoffs show how little McDavid and Draisaitl need to work with to get to a Conference Finals.

They made a Conference Final with Kulak as basically their no.1 D and a 40 year old injured goalie in net and Draisaitl on one leg on top of that.

First time they get to play with even a "low-end star tier" player in Evander Kane (and that's probably being generous, Kane is the type of player that is maybe the best player on a bad team), the team becomes notably way better.

Holland just needs to focus on continuing to add quality role players, the Oilers have never been big buyers at a trade deadline and never traded a 1st in the McDavid era, that needs to change. A 1st should definitely be on the table for a defensive D-Man at the deadline or earlier, another pick (a 2nd) should be on the table for another depth forward.

Last edited:

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

I give the Oilers credit for fighting back in a lot of those games, most teams would quit if they were down 2-3 goals to the Avs, the Oilers kept fighting back in 3/4 games. That was a big lesson learned, lots of teams still don't know how to respond to playoff adversity.

It's questionable whether Nurse is a 1D in spite of being paid like one.

And Draisaitl isn't such a dynamic skater anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad