Are the Oilers a top 5 contender next season with Jack Campbell?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He played 28 games. So if you took away one third of the games when he was great then his numbers don’t look that good. That’s the same with every goalie.
In fact, Campbell’s are even worse.
Revisionist history indeed!

It’s not taking the games away. It’s providing some context and nuance to his numbers.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Jack Campbell is good buddies with Tyson Barrie. He called him for emotional support as soon as he found out that he was signed by Edmonton.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
You ever been to CalgaryPuck?
Not for years and we're talking about HF not CP. What happens at CP is of no concern to me. Not sure why you guys are always so concerned about it either.

Last edited:

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Obviously the real Stanley cup was Tampa vs Toronto.

Why even play the post season? They should just have the two best regular season teams play each other to decide who’s the best, right?

There should be an asterisk bedside every NHL team to win the cup that didn’t have the best record in the league that year. They clearly weren’t the best.

That’s what you’re saying right?

LA was a tougher opponent that Calgary.

Calgary was ez.
No, the real Stanley Cup was Colorado vs Tampa.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Oh God. Flames fan? 🤣
No but I like what the flames did especially considering the circumstances. I do not trust campbell. He has never had an injury free year, never played more than 50 games, and he was a sub .900 past Christmas and including the playoffs. You are not winning the Stanley freaking cup with jack freaking Campbell. And the defence is not good enough…defensively.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Depending on being relevant and keeping with actual modern times. Colorado has won 2 cups since entering the league while Edmonton has won 0 in that time frame
3*

You're awfully defensive for someone who has the superior super God team. I don't really understand.

Not sure why you'd want to start counting rings with oilers fans... I'd say that's a losing argument.
Colorado has won three cups since entering the league while Edmonton has zero. You sound like a “we have 24 cups” Habs fan lmao. Keep living in the past.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Is Campbell really an upgrade on Smith? When Smith was on he could be pretty good.

Campbell had a hot start but otherwise seems average. I don't think he's winning you games, you just hope he doesn't cost you them. Ultimately not sold its a big improvement.

So top 5 contender? I'd have: Colorado, Tampa Bay, Carolina over them easily. Are they better than NYR, Toronto, Florida, St.Louis? Not sure. Maybe in that tier.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
No but I like what the flames did especially considering the circumstances. I do not trust campbell. He has never had an injury free year, never played more than 50 games, and he was a sub .900 past Christmas and including the playoffs. You are not winning the Stanley freaking cup with jack freaking Campbell. And the defence is not good enough…defensively.
No but the fact that you list Vancouver as just as good meant you're a Flames fan, a troll, or just have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Edmonton was in the final 4 last year and have a better team this year. It isn't a guarantee they go back, but they're certainly the favourites right now to come out of the Pacific again. I still see them beating Calgary in a series.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
No but the fact that you list Vancouver as just as good meant you're a Flames fan, a troll, or just have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Edmonton was in the final 4 last year and have a better team this year. It isn't a guarantee they go back, but they're certainly the favourites right now to come out of the Pacific again. I still see them beating Calgary in a series.
let’s see if your opinion waivers after a season of jack campbell.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Draisaitl has the highest playoff PPG for any modern era player (30 games minimum)

Draisaitl - 1.59 ppg
McDavid - 1.49 ppg
MacKinnon - 1.32 ppg
Crosby (first 4 playoffs only) - 1.22 ppg
Kucherov - 1.13 ppg
Crosby - 1.12 ppg
Malkin - 1.01 ppg
P. Kane - 0.97 ppg
Ovechkin - 0.96 ppg
Matthews - 0.84 ppg
Tavares - 0.82 ppg

Even if you account for Crosby/Malkin/Ovy/Kane's first 4 playoff runs only (times where they were more in their peak/prime), Draisaitl is still no.1. I added Crosby's first 4 years in the playoffs just for reference.

Draisaitl is simply a beast of a player.
All of that. And they still got swept by the Avs despite many oilers fans getting pissy at posters for underestimating the oilers going into that series. Lets just say the only people shocked they got swept were Oiler fans The rest of us saw the Oilers for what they were. Average. McDavid played out of his mind and they were still no where close enough.

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
It's funny how narratives change.

There's a poster in here who started a thread last year saying Mike Smith is the worst starter in the league, but is now calling him a top5 goalie in the league under Woodcroft lol.
I'm not sure who you are talking about but things and perspectives change. At one time Oiler fans wouldn't have rated Gaudreau in the top 20 fwds in the league and Tkachuk was nothing more than a cowardly rat who would be hard pressed to make the top 30. Now apparently they are both great players who will make fine additions to their new teams.

4EDM14OIL93

Jan 12, 2011
Not for years and we're talking about HF not CP. What happens at CP is of no concern to me. Not sure why you guys are always so concerned about it either.
Are we just talking about HF? They count as flames fans too

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
The two biggest issues for Campbell are:

1. Health - good luck keeping him on the ice for 50+ games

2. Mental - he folds quickly and gets down on himself after a bad game. This will probably be worse with a big dollar long term contract pressure plus playing behind a far worse defensive team
I always thought he was harder on himself than leafs fan were

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Leafs fans narrative is that the first half of the season didn’t happen. Only the back half. Campbell through a comparable amount of games had a lot better save% than that.
I think people remember and view how things ended gives off a decent imagine of how things could continue.
Campbell could be really good in EDM. but he could also be horrible if he has to play too much.

He's off mentally too sometimes he's his own worst enemy allowing bad games to get in his head thinking fans are starting to dislike him maybe I dunno

I wish him well but at the same time this place and all the petty arguments I get into with Oilers fans made me want them to do bad which makes no sense because were in different divisions and dont have a rivalry.

I used to really like the Oilers and had their backs every playoffs. the last time both them and CGY made it to the finals I was cheering but the hate my team gets from the Oilers fanbase makes it very very very difficult to continue to cheer for them

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I always thought he was harder on himself than leafs fan were
From what I hear, great guy in the locker room and loved by all his teammates. That'll be a change from Smith.
Maybe he won't be so hard on himself in Edmonton. Toronto is always a tough town to play for. Fan disappointment is the go to emotion after 50+ cupless years.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
They had Smith and Koskinen and made it to the final 4. They're better with Campbell and Skinner.
your Fully aware campbell had a sub .900 save % from mid December on, as well as the playoffs. And that was on a better regular season team defensively and a better defence. Also he has not shown to stay healthy. I guess we will see.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I used to really like the Oilers and had their backs every playoffs. the last time both them and CGY made it to the finals I was cheering but the hate my team gets from the Oilers fanbase makes it very very very difficult to continue to cheer for them
I got attacked a few times last year trying to support Edmonton.

I feel like Auston damaged them so much they can't grasp us being able to enjoy our Country 's best player.

I hope it changes eventually.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
your Fully aware campbell had a sub .900 save % from mid December on, as well as the playoffs. And that was on a better regular season team defensively and a better defence. Also he has not shown to stay healthy. I guess we will see.
Leafs don't exactly have a rockstar defense and they always collapse in round 1, regardless of the goaltender (Riemer and Anderson both looked better outside of Toronto). Did you watch the series? It wasn't his fault. This was also after Campbell's injury. I'm confident he will be more stable than Smith and the goals from center ice in the playoffs. Also it's you're*

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Leafs don't exactly have a rockstar defense and they always collapse in round 1, regardless of the goaltender (Riemer and Anderson both looked better outside of Toronto). Did you watch the series? It wasn't his fault. This was also after Campbell's injury. I'm confident he will be more stable than Smith and the goals from center ice in the playoffs. Also it's you're*
The one stat that tells a goalie’s worth is Goals saved above expected. Mike smith in the playoffs had a +1.9 GSAE, Campbell had a -1.1 and was injured at the end of the series. This huge upgrade in net better come from skinner…

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
From what I hear, great guy in the locker room and loved by all his teammates. That'll be a change from Smith.
Maybe he won't be so hard on himself in Edmonton. Toronto is always a tough town to play for. Fan disappointment is the go to emotion after 50+ cupless years.
We were never hard on Campbell. maybe last year some were abit but overall we had his back and even if u checkout some of his old Leafs instagram posts people are always telling him it's fine and not to get so hard on himself. he just has that mentality where he always has to be better and its his fault. if he can get over that he might be a top goalie in the NHL. we will see though. he could be lightsout in EDM but I dunno if he will if hes playing 50-60 games

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I got attacked a few times last year trying to support Edmonton.

I feel like Auston damaged them so much they can't grasp us being able to enjoy our Country 's best player.

I hope it changes eventually.
I didnt think we were hated as much as we were till I really started to come here and this goes back before we had Auston.

Andersen has yet to eliminate a team in the playoffs since leaving Toronto. as far as Ive seen Andersen folds when the pressure increases. always lets in a few stinkers in the final 10mins of an elimination game. you can blame this on the Leafs D but he did this almost every year he has been in the playoffs.
Great goalie but still yet to prove it was just as much his fault as it was Toronto's D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad