Are the Oilers a top 5 contender next season with Jack Campbell?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
No, but they will likely make the WCF.

Finishing in the top 4 =|= 4th best odds… especially when they had next to no shot advancing to the finals
They don't understand this. The real WCF was Colorado vs St. Louis, no team in the Pacific had a shot to make it to the finals. A lot of their fans can't seem to understand that not all divisions are equal, being the best of the worst does not make you a top contender. If not for divisional formats they probably get swept in the first round again.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Not quite yet. I'm still trying to piece together what type of ankle sprain (if any) Draisaitl had and whether or not Campbell struggled after November. It's been unclear about the answer to either of those so far.
Let’s call a doctor in and get a third opinion. We already have an internet expert and a doctor. I’m not sure. Like Covid, I’m not sure the doctor is the one to listen to. I for sure have a better understanding of medical science from a couple google searches!

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
They don't understand this. The real WCF was Colorado vs St. Louis, no team in the Pacific had a shot to make it to the finals. A lot of their fans can't seem to understand that not all divisions are equal, being the best of the worst does not make you a top contender. If not for divisional formats they probably get swept in the first round again.
This logic could even be used to say that the Oilers are not a contender even if they won the cup. You could come up with whatever excuse like luck or injuries or whatever. There will always be some stat you could point to as well.

The only thing that can really be used to judge a team is results. That's the only thing that history will care about.

I'll be yet another poster to remind everyone that the thread wasn't made by an Oilers fan. Oilers fans are aware that our team has uncertainty swirling around it that could swing the team downwards, but outside fans should admit that the uncertainty can also swing upwards, and we don't have any objective measure to determine what will happen.

That uncertainty comes from how hot and cold the Oilers are, but it's undeniable that the team has had a steady climb for a few years now, and all the reasons given for why it's not for real are fading fairly badly. As an Oiler fan on the mains it does really feel to me like the Oilers haters are getting their last shots in while they can.

Reactions: Dieseloil

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Not quite yet. I'm still trying to piece together what type of ankle sprain (if any) Draisaitl had and whether or not Campbell struggled after November. It's been unclear about the answer to either of those so far.
High ankle sprain, duh! :laugh:

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Me too

So finish higher in the standings. Matthews also got to play Montreal, Columbus and Boston a bunch in his career. He’s had chances to light it up and hasn’t.
I mean I don’t really give to shits either way but what I said wasn’t wrong

Matthews is the better player, but Draisaitl has a more desirable skill set for playoff hockey
As an avs fan I’d rather have drai. I really don’t think I heres a huge difference between the players. Matthews is a little bit better goal scorer I like drai cause he’s kinda an asshole

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I mean I don’t really give to shits either way but what I said wasn’t wrong

As an avs fan I’d rather have drai. I really don’t think I heres a huge difference between the players. Matthews is a little bit better goal scorer I like drai cause he’s kinda an asshole
Draisiatl is stronger on the puck and along the boards, that’s what does it for me

Reactions: lionsDen

4EDM14OIL93

Jan 12, 2011
Have you read some of the comments posted by your fellow Oilers fans with regards to the Oilers beating the Flames? Pot meet kettle.
Have you not read some of the comments by yourself and other flames fans this summer? Somehow after all of this the flames fans are the most insufferable of all… even after getting stomped by the Oilers

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Have you not read some of the comments by yourself and other flames fans this summer? Somehow after all of this the flames fans are the most insufferable of all… even after getting stomped by the Oilers
You just made my point.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
No, or at least I wouldn’t project it against other contenders. Wouldn’t rule out though due to McDrai factor

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
Does Jack Campbell complete this team and push them to the top 5 for contending next season?
Oilers are overrated imo. They barely defeated the LA Kings in the 1st round and only got by Calgary because Calgary mysteriously imploded (Calgary scored 9 goals against Edmonton in Game 1 and yet still allowed Edmonton to get into their heads). Edmonton then got spanked by Colorado.

Yes - Edmonton has a TREMENDOUS offence, absolutely no question, but there's no way they'll be able to keep outscoring their massive defensive deficiencies and shortcomings in net. I see Edmonton being about the same as this past season but without the flukey 3rd round appearance. Oilers lose in the first round this coming year.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
There should be a reality show where a Canadians fan, a Leafs fan, an Oilers fan, and a Flames fan all have to sit in a car and drive across Canada listening to nothing but sports talk radio. Then, you know, see what happens. 😬😅

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
There should be a reality show where a Canadians fan, a Leafs fan, an Oilers fan, and a Flames fan all have to sit in a car and drive across Canada listening to nothing but sports talk radio. Then, you know, see what happens. 😬😅
It’s not the internet, so likely nothing 😂

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Too many seem to chalk it up to "oh we're just passionate about hockey in canada", but the problem is that being a contentious twat isn't passion.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014

Do you lose sleep at night from insufferable comments on both sides of the rivalry?

If yes, then there's a healthier way to live life my friend.

Too many seem to chalk it up to "oh we're just passionate about hockey in canada", but the problem is that being a contentious twat isn't passion.

Agreed. Logic doesn't have to go out of the window because sports rivalry/loyalty reasons.

Reactions: GOilers88

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
Of course it's possible but everything has to lineup perfectly (scoring abnormaility, injury, etc) and that's when probability drops even further...
imagine how miserable this guy must be living in Edmonton and just hating the oilers. probably walks downtown just screaming in rage, throwing temper tantrums every time he leaves the house

• Haha
Reactions: AlbOilFAN

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
Oilers are overrated imo. They barely defeated the LA Kings in the 1st round and only got by Calgary because Calgary mysteriously imploded (Calgary scored 9 goals against Edmonton in Game 1 and yet still allowed Edmonton to get into their heads). Edmonton then got spanked by Colorado.

Yes - Edmonton has a TREMENDOUS offence, absolutely no question, but there's no way they'll be able to keep outscoring their massive defensive deficiencies and shortcomings in net. I see Edmonton being about the same as this past season but without the flukey 3rd round appearance. Oilers lose in the first round this coming year.
can you explain to me the logic behind "oilers only got by Calgary because their goaltending imploded" and Oilers got spanked by Calgary? was one game the difference between narratives. smith sv% against avs was 87.2% and maelstrom sv% against oilers was 85.2%.

Reactions: Duke74 and Coffey

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada

Obviously the real Stanley cup was Tampa vs Toronto.

Why even play the post season? They should just have the two best regular season teams play each other to decide who’s the best, right?

There should be an asterisk bedside every NHL team to win the cup that didn’t have the best record in the league that year. They clearly weren’t the best.

That’s what you’re saying right?

LA was a tougher opponent that Calgary.

Calgary was ez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad