Are the Oilers a top 5 contender next season with Jack Campbell?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
They're contenders with McDavid.

They'll get average goaltending from Jack. Is that enough? We'll find out
Hard to say. They got above average goaltending with Mike Smith last year (.915) and it wasn’t enough. Mind you he only played 28 games. Campbell should be an upgrade on Koskinen. I’d say overall it’s a wash.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Hard to say. They got above average goaltending with Mike Smith last year (.915) and it wasn’t enough. Mind you he only played 28 games. Campbell should be an upgrade on Koskinen. I’d say overall it’s a wash.

That's kind of my point. Jack isn't enough of an upgrade to get them to the Cup. It continues to be McJesus. He can drag them to it if the stars align at the right time regardless of goaltending.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That's kind of my point. Jack isn't enough of an upgrade to get them to the Cup. It continues to be McJesus. He can drag them to it if the stars align at the right time regardless of goaltending.

If Campbell can be more like Cam Talbot (aside from his one really down year in Edmonton) but 5 years younger, that's fine. No one is asking him to be Vasilevsky, even though he had an identical save percentage to Vasilevsky in that Bolts-Leafs series (had really strong playoff numbers the year before too).

Smith's numbers were buoyed by a hot stretch right towards the end of the year, but he had a lot of shit sub .900 games prior to that too. He went on a 8 game heater to close out the season, that really buoyed his save percentage.

Koskinen was a non-starter as he just doesn't have the upper tier game that even Campbell has, Smith is turning 41 years old and injured so obviously that wouldn't work, Kuemper was the other main option but having to "retrain your eye to see properly" was a scary proposition with him.

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
Oilers are overrated imo. They barely defeated the LA Kings in the 1st round and only got by Calgary because Calgary mysteriously imploded (Calgary scored 9 goals against Edmonton in Game 1 and yet still allowed Edmonton to get into their heads). Edmonton then got spanked by Colorado.

Yes - Edmonton has a TREMENDOUS offence, absolutely no question, but there's no way they'll be able to keep outscoring their massive defensive deficiencies and shortcomings in net. I see Edmonton being about the same as this past season but without the flukey 3rd round appearance. Oilers lose in the first round this coming year.
100% accurate take on the Oilers. Will take massive steps forward from Evan Bouchard and if Broberg can be the D man they drafted him to be. IMHO they can win the division, or miss the playoffs. I mean they were sliding before the coaching change which everyone seems to forget.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ruthervin

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
If Campbell can be more like Cam Talbot (aside from his one really down year in Edmonton) but 5 years younger, that's fine. No one is asking him to be Vasilevsky, even though he had an identical save percentage to Vasilevsky in that Bolts-Leafs series (had really strong playoff numbers the year before too).

Smith's numbers were buoyed by a hot stretch right towards the end of the year, but he had a lot of shit sub .900 games prior to that too. He went on a 8 game heater to close out the season, that really buoyed his save percentage.

Koskinen was a non-starter as he just doesn't have the upper tier game that even Campbell has, Smith is turning 41 years old and injured so obviously that wouldn't work, Kuemper was the other main option but having to "retrain your eye to see properly" was a scary proposition with him.

Campbell was buoyed by an absurd start but fell off hard, most likely due to injury.

I like Jack a lot. But he's got a lot to prove still. I would like to see him do well in Edmonton.

4EDM14OIL93

Jan 12, 2011
Do you lose sleep at night from insufferable comments on both sides of the rivalry?

If yes, then there's a healthier way to live life my friend.
Don’t remember losing sleep over any of this, but thanks for the life advice :thumbu:

4EDM14OIL93

Jan 12, 2011
You just made my point.
Nah not really. Flames fans deserve every ounce of gloating against them after that series following years of obsessing over the Oilers, and talks of how easily the flames would win the series, etc

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'd be happy with just .910 SP goaltending from the Campbell/Skinner combo. During Mcdavid's time as an Oiler they've only had average or greater goaltending for the majority of the season from Talbot in 2016/17 and Smith during the shortened season.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Nah not really. Flames fans deserve every ounce of gloating against them after that series following years of obsessing over the Oilers, and talks of how easily the flames would win the series, etc
There's only one fan base that's obsessed my friend... and the Flames aren't their only obsession... ask any Leaf or Nucks fan.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I'd be happy with just .910 SP goaltending from the Campbell/Skinner combo. During Mcdavid's time as an Oiler they've only had average or greater goaltending for the majority of the season from Talbot in 2016/17 and Smith during the shortened season.

Just goaltending that doesn't single handedly handicap the team will be good enough in my eyes.

The first shot of the game goal was a thing for both Talbot and Koskinen. Smith although good in spurts would randomly implode for 5 min segments and allow basically anything that was directed at the net. Just steady, bare average, know what you're gonna get goaltending is enough for me as you said.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Don’t remember losing sleep over any of this, but thanks for the life advice :thumbu:

I just meant it's more fun to focus on the fun parts of the rivalry and not the dregs. My post wasn't intended as some criticism of your life choices. Sorry.

Honestly speaking, plenty of Flames fans on HF are in agreement with Oiler fans that reading CP isn't a constructive use of time, nor a fun part of the rivalry.

Personally, I made bets with some Oiler buddies and I put a bigger chunk of cash towards the Children's hospital than they the Children's hospital because the Oilers won more games. I'll get him next time! (I think). But in the meanwhile, many others win either way. That part is the more fun and good parts of the rivalry.

Back on Campbell though, I think the Oilers can figure it out even if he struggles. I also think that if he settles in nicely, the Oilers can divert effort in rounding out other aspects of the game instead of covering for him like they have had to for Smith/Koskinen in previous seasons. Top 5 contender of all teams? Nah. But I'd have no issues saying that the Oilers could be a favourite to be a top 5 in the West.

Reactions: 4EDM14OIL93

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Jack Campbell didnt make leafs a top 5 contending team so I dont know why it would make Oilers a top 5 contending team. And Leafs have much better D and had lots of forward depth to boot. No Jack Campbell has not proven anything. Maybe if Oilers had gotten Vasilevsky, then you could say somethimg like this but Campbell???

I have nothing to add. This response was perfect lol

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
For what its worth, Brent Krahn on Fan960 today, thinks the Oilers got worse with the signing of Campbell. He doesn't believe Campbell is a #1 goalie and Skinner will likely have to take over as the Oilers go later into the season.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
For what its worth, Brent Krahn on Fan960 today, thinks the Oilers got worse with the signing of Campbell. He doesn't believe Campbell is a #1 goalie and Skinner will likely have to take over as the Oilers go later into the season.
I think that’s a stretch. I’d say they at least treaded water in the goaltending department. I don’t expect Campbell to be better than last years Smith but you just can’t go into next season with a 40 year old goalie as your starter.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
Obviously the real Stanley cup was Tampa vs Toronto.

Why even play the post season? They should just have the two best regular season teams play each other to decide who’s the best, right?

There should be an asterisk bedside every NHL team to win the cup that didn’t have the best record in the league that year. They clearly weren’t the best.

That’s what you’re saying right?

LA was a tougher opponent that Calgary.

Calgary was ez.
The Flames shouldn't have been that easy. I have no idea why they completely imploded against you guys. Markstrom looked worse than Roman Czechmanek.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
can you explain to me the logic behind "oilers only got by Calgary because their goaltending imploded" and Oilers got spanked by Calgary? was one game the difference between narratives. smith sv% against avs was 87.2% and maelstrom sv% against oilers was 85.2%.
Reading Comprehension 101 my good lad. ;-)

I never said, "oilers only got by Calgary because their goaltending imploded."

I said, "oilers only got by Calgary because Calgary imploded." Markstrom was awful but so was the team in front of him. That Oilers offence was absolutely scary.........but I can't see the Oilers being able to consistently outscore their defensive and goaltending shortcomings. Unless that changes this coming season, I see the Oilers being first round fodder.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
The Flames shouldn't have been that easy. I have no idea why they completely imploded against you guys. Markstrom looked worse than Roman Czechmanek.

Oilers were simply better. They couldn’t handle Mcdavid and draisaitl. Every single one of their dmen got absolutely caved and feasted on. Markstrom no doubt was horrible, but let’s not pretend that he had much help.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
Oilers were simply better. They couldn’t handle Mcdavid and draisaitl. Every single one of their dmen got absolutely caved and feasted on. Markstrom no doubt was horrible, but let’s not pretend that he had much help.
Oilers were deserving of the win and I don't want to take anything away from them, but how do you explain Calgary scoring NINE goals in that first game?.......and still allowing the Oilers to buy real estate in their heads? The Oilers can only play the team in front of them and so full marks to the Oilers, but you can't tell me that Calgary didn't completely implode.

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
I'm a little surprised everyone is just assuming Skinner can be a good back up. He looks promising for sure but the pressure gets tougher when they are counting on you to back up 30 plus games.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I'm a little surprised everyone is just assuming Skinner can be a good back up. He looks promising for sure but the pressure gets tougher when they are counting on you to back up 30 plus games.
Good career trajectory, and fundamentally a good goalie. He will take the starting job from Campbell in a couple years

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The notion that they got above average goaltending from Mike Smith is revisionist history. He went on a heater the last month of the season and won like 9 in a row. From the start of the season until the end of March he had a sv% well under .900 and was basically always hurt.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The notion that they got above average goaltending from Mike Smith is revisionist history. He went on a heater the last month of the season and won like 9 in a row. From the start of the season until the end of March he had a sv% well under .900 and was basically always hurt.
He played 28 games. So if you took away one third of the games when he was great then his numbers don’t look that good. That’s the same with every goalie.
In fact, Campbell’s are even worse.
Revisionist history indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad