Are the Oilers a top 5 contender next season with Jack Campbell?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah, I'm pretty worried about playoffs scoring for the oilers. We only had 5 PPG players in the playoffs, we need more scoring depth... like the Avs and their 4 PPG players for example.

Wow, another Oilers fan who doesn't understand what scoring depth means.

Then again I guess it's not surprising. Why would the fans know what scoring depth is if the team doesn't have any either. It makes sense actually.

Edit: Even funnier that you're flat out lying to try and make your point. Edmonton had 4 players above 1.00 PPG just like Colorado. Leon, Connor, Evander, and Zach. Colorado had Cale, Mikko, Gabe, and Nate.

RNH had 14 points in 16 games. Not a PPG player and if you're counting him to make 5 for Edmonton then it's even more hilarious that you exclude Kadri and his 15 points in 16 games from the Avs list.

Colorado had 8 players above 0.7 PPG(And Burakovsky at 0.68). Edmonton had 5 guys above that number.

Colorado had 13 Players above 0.4 PPG. Edmonton had 8.

That is scoring depth. Not what the 2 best players and the two guys who ride Shotgun with them can do. What did the 3rd and 4th Iines do, and the defense.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MessierII

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
New coach bump coupled with perfect storm for needing to be good while other teams were ramping down and preserving for the post season.

This is the true season to see if Edmonton is a contender or not
Lmao no one relevant was ramping down until like 3 games before the end of the season.

Dallas just sucked at the end of the season and by a miracle of insane goal tending was able to limp to game 7. NSH was in a wild card race and doing what they could until their starter went down and basically sewered the team.

With the exception of COL, no one really took their foot of the gas at the end of the season. Playoff teams finished their last 10:
Wild - 8-1-1
STL - 7-2-1 (won like 13/15 right before the end of the season)
Stars - 5-3-2 weren't a good team down the stretch.
NSH - 4-4-2 hanging on with no starter and then got swept.
CGY - 6-2-2
EDM 7-2-1
LA 6-3-1
VGK 4-2-4 Fell apart at the end, end of march to mid april they were 11-3-1, until they collapsed and the playoff window shut.
VAN 6-2-2

Who in there was preserving for the post season? Dallas wasn't good as evidenced by anyone that watched their CGY series. Was NSH ramping down, so they could get swept? Everyone else had a really good final 10. Vegas? Did they ramp down once it was clear they were out in the final 5 games? If what you're saying was true for any kind of meaningful period, the Canucks might have actually made the playoffs.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Lmao no one relevant was ramping down until like 3 games before the end of the season.

Dallas just sucked at the end of the season and by a miracle of insane goal tending was able to limp to game 7. NSH was in a wild card race and doing what they could until their starter went down and basically sewered the team.

With the exception of COL, no one really took their foot of the gas at the end of the season. Playoff teams finished their last 10:
Wild - 8-1-1
STL - 7-2-1 (won like 13/15 right before the end of the season)
Stars - 5-3-2 weren't a good team down the stretch.
NSH - 4-4-2 hanging on with no starter and then got swept.
CGY - 6-2-2
EDM 7-2-1
LA 6-3-1
VGK 4-2-4 Fell apart at the end, end of march to mid april they were 11-3-1, until they collapsed and the playoff window shut.
VAN 6-2-2

Who in there was preserving for the post season? Dallas wasn't good as evidenced by anyone that watched their CGY series. Was NSH ramping down, so they could get swept? Everyone else had a really good final 10. Vegas? Did they ramp down once it was clear they were out in the final 5 games? If what you're saying was true for any kind of meaningful period, the Canucks might have actually made the playoffs.
Players were being rested, teams were giving less than 100% and looking to avoid injury(for the east mainly that was already decided). This is well known, and you can still win games without going all out 🤣

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
God you guys are sooooooooooo insufferable since you won.

Truly bizarre. The equivalent of Oiler fans obsessively attacking Kings fans this off season. Like you won, congrats. The Avalanche are a better team and you won't find anyone claiming otherwise. If I had to place it it likely has something to do with a complex around the narrative a few years ago that Mackinnon is better than McDavid, but who knows.

Flames and their fans have a target on their back due to the rivalry and the baked in hatred between the fan bases, but I'm not sure a single Oiler fan has bothered to say anything slightly negative to a King fan since the series ended.

The insinuation that Oiler fans don't know anything about hockey is pretty rich coming from a bandwagon fanbase that jumps ship when the Avalanche are bad then are "hardcore" fans immediately when the winning starts.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Players were being rested, teams were giving less than 100% and looking to avoid injury(for the east mainly that was already decided). This is well known, and you can still win games without going all out 🤣
"For the East" has what to do with EDM? Game 60-62 we played DET-BUF-NJ. Next time we played an East team was PIT/CLB in games 79/80. So those teams in game 60-62 were already shutting it down in preparation for the playoffs that were approaching in....2 months? Lmfao. So anyways...back to the West, where we played 90% of our games leading up to the playoffs.

Strange that VAN/VGK were resting players and trying not to get injured despite...not even being in a playoff spot. While LA/NSH/DAL were 'obviously' doing the same thing despite not having clinched until 3 games before the playoffs. That's some big brain coaching.

I'm sorry, but the only place that it's well known teams give less than 100% in the last 20 games of the season while still fighting for a playoff spot, is your own head. It's certainly not well known out here in the real world. Funnily enough, NSH played a lot of East teams down the stretch and have one of the worst records i posted, guess they were trying to out rest those resting East juggernauts. Pacific teams largely played each other, and strangely enough that has nothing to do with the playoffs in the East.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Wow, another Oilers fan who doesn't understand what scoring depth means.

Then again I guess it's not surprising. Why would the fans know what scoring depth is if the team doesn't have any either. It makes sense actually.

Edit: Even funnier that you're flat out lying to try and make your point. Edmonton had 4 players above 1.00 PPG just like Colorado. Leon, Connor, Evander, and Zach. Colorado had Cale, Mikko, Gabe, and Nate.

RNH had 14 points in 16 games. Not a PPG player and if you're counting him to make 5 for Edmonton then it's even more hilarious that you exclude Kadri and his 15 points in 16 games from the Avs list.

Colorado had 8 players above 0.7 PPG(And Burakovsky at 0.68). Edmonton had 5 guys above that number.

Colorado had 13 Players above 0.4 PPG. Edmonton had 8.

That is scoring depth. Not what the 2 best players and the two guys who ride Shotgun with them can do. What did the 3rd and 4th Iines do, and the defense.

You're awfully defensive for someone who has the superior super God team. I don't really understand.

And Oilers fans have always been insufferable despite not winning a f***ing thing. Congrats fools!

Not sure why you'd want to start counting rings with oilers fans... I'd say that's a losing argument.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
You're awfully defensive for someone who has the superior super God team. I don't really understand.

Not sure why you'd want to start counting rings with oilers fans... I'd say that's a losing argument.
Depending on being relevant and keeping with actual modern times. Colorado has won 2 cups since entering the league while Edmonton has won 0 in that time frame

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
God you guys are sooooooooooo insufferable since you won.

1663271279590.png

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Not quite yet. I'm still trying to piece together what type of ankle sprain (if any) Draisaitl had and whether or not Campbell struggled after November. It's been unclear about the answer to either of those so far.
They didn't even mention Nurse's injury or his contract. Lot of people just glossing over the important points.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

I'll take that non response as conceding you were wrong.

Great stuff. You won a cup 30 years ago! Colorado has literally won 3 since the Oilers last won 1 :laugh:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Not quite yet. I'm still trying to piece together what type of ankle sprain (if any) Draisaitl had and whether or not Campbell struggled after November. It's been unclear about the answer to either of those so far.
I’m trying to figure out what ‘Edmonton’s record after Woodcroft’ means. Is Woodcroft some kind of Alberta holiday?
In BC we have a new holiday called Bruce.

• Haha
Reactions: Duke74

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I’m trying to figure out what ‘Edmonton’s record after Woodcroft’ means. Is Woodcroft some kind of Alberta holiday?
In BC we have a new holiday called Bruce.

Do you even know anything about hockey? Woodcroft is a make of hockey stick that the Oilers switched to around mid-season which allowed them to shoot better.

• Haha
Reactions: Duke74

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
They were a top 4 contender with a 41 yr old injury riddled Mike Smith, who let in a 132 foot goal in the 2nd round of the NHL playoffs.

Almost any NHL goalie would be an upgrade, but Jack Campbell? He was a top 3 goalie for the first half of the season last year, in the market with the most pressure to win. Every leaf that has transitioned to Edmonton has had success immediately, in Ceci, Barrie and Hyman
-Ceci is the team's most reliable blue-liner with impressive advanced stats
-Barrie clinched the #1 defenseman in points in 2021, his first year with the club
-Hyman had the best year of his career in almost every category offensively, and won 2 round in the playoffs, in which he was an integral reason

If history repeats itself, 'Soup' is going to bring what Edmonton hasn't had in 30+ years, a legitimate top 10 NHL goaltender

Reactions: capazzo

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
No, but they will likely make the WCF.

They were a top 4 contender with a 41 yr old injury riddled Mike Smith, who let in a 132 foot goal in the 2nd round of the NHL playoffs.

Almost any NHL goalie would be an upgrade, but Jack Campbell? He was a top 3 goalie for the first half of the season last year, in the market with the most pressure to win. Every leaf that has transitioned to Edmonton has had success immediately, in Ceci, Barrie and Hyman
-Ceci is the team's most reliable blue-liner with impressive advanced stats
-Barrie clinched the #1 defenseman in points in 2021, his first year with the club
-Hyman had the best year of his career in almost every category offensively, and won 2 round in the playoffs, in which he was an integral reason

If history repeats itself, 'Soup' is going to bring what Edmonton hasn't had in 30+ years, a legitimate top 10 NHL goaltender
Finishing in the top 4 =|= 4th best odds… especially when they had next to no shot advancing to the finals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad