Are the Oilers a top 5 contender next season with Jack Campbell?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Just sit back and think, the guys who were too bad to play on Ottawa and Toronto are considered good on Edmonton. Should tell you enough about the state of the Oilers D.

"We made the conference finals!" congrats, and like I've mentioned earlier, in the last 5 years the Oilers have just 1 win against a non-pacific team in the playoffs and 11 losses. Best of the worst division, crazy how you still don't understand this.

All I see is a guy who can’t handle ex Leafs doing well on other teams. Just because you don’t watch hockey beyond your team, doesn’t mean you’re not ignorant.

Like I mentioned earlier, I really don’t give a shit what you think. My team made it to the WCF while your team got respect in the handshake line while you whined about reffing.

Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I'm a Doctor of Physiotherapy... there is no pretend. It's my ****ing job to deal with this every day.

Get out of here with your WedMD degree, slandering my knowledge and profession cause it doesn't fit your agenda. Cause lord help us all if you're actually in healthcare
I’ll take the study from these three medical professionals over someone on a hockey forum. Median of 8 games missed with roughly 20% missing no games

Attachments

• E1FA21F4-523A-42F2-B407-7B91BC23390B.jpeg
    E1FA21F4-523A-42F2-B407-7B91BC23390B.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 1

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto's problem is this:

Playoff production

Draisaitl - 1.59 ppg
McDavid - 1.49 ppg
MacKinnon - 1.32 ppg
Kucherov - 1.13 ppg
Matthews - 0.85 ppg
Marner - 0.85 ppg

Leafs top players are a mile behind the Oilers top players when the playoffs start.
It’s always so funny to me how every single post season it’s always the goalies fault and they ignore how pathetic their stars stats are in the post season.

They keep pointing to Campbell just needed to make “one more save” when they really should be saying they just needed “one more goal” (or even just one goal in general) from any of the 4 guys taking up like half their cap space.

Last edited:

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
I thought Jack Campbell was a decent goalie. Flawed and not top tier but decent. He ain't pushing any team over the top from what I saw of him in Toronto. I wish him well though, very nice guy and Edmonton's lucky to have him.
No he's not a difference maker. Ideally he can hold the fort for a couple seasons and Skinner can grow into a bonafide #1 and become that difference maker. That would be the ideal outcome from the Campbell signing.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He had a .926 SV% down the stretch when the Oilers needed him the most, and then heavily outplayed both opposition netminders in the first two rounds of the playoffs. I simply don't see how Campbell will be an upgrade. Smith was not the Oilers problem.
Are you trying to say smith was good against Calgary ? 😂

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Mike Smith had a .923 SV% after the first period of game 1, so yes, I'd say he heavily outplayed Markstrom.
Why are you removing a game in a 5 game sample? His brutal 1st period is the reason they lost game 1.

Is not great stats. There’s also the whole letting in a goal from the other end of the ice which they were somehow able to overcome

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
I’ll take the study from these three medical professionals over someone on a hockey forum. Median of 8 games missed with roughly 20% missing no games

You're annoying me with your ignorance and arrogance at this point, so let me take you to school for a moment (as I'm a published researcher as well in this field).

I'm assuming you've read the abstract of the article and based your entire argument off of the following:

A total of 105 NHL athletes sustained high ankle sprains over the 5 seasons studied. Of these athletes, 85 were unable to play and missed a median of 8 games (range, 0-65 games). A retrospective MRI evaluation of 21 scans identified complete AITFL tears in 13 (62%) and high-grade partial tears in 5 (24%) cases. In contrast, the PITFL was partially torn in 9 (43%) and normal in 12 (57%) cases. Bone contusions were seen in 71% of cases and lacked a consistent pattern.

Now, should you actually know how to deciminate and read research, you'd know that reading the abstract of an article to base your entire argument is foolish at best and utterly ridiculous at worst. And here is no better perfect example.

If you actually read the article, they present a table of all the injuries that had MRIs to diagnose them (as was the purpose of the article looking at using MRI to better Dx High ankle sprains). This was the findings:

Table 1 Significance of MRI Findings on Return to Play After High Ankle Sprainsa
GroupReturn to Play, Mean ± SD, dSignificance
Based on degree of ligamentous injuryANOVA:
 No/partial AITFL disruption38.2 ± 13.4SSq = 29.1; df = 17; F = 2.6; P = .238
 High-grade/complete AITFL disruption72.0 ± N/A
 Complete AITFL tear + 1 additional ligament injured38.4 ± 24.0
 Complete AITFL tear + ≥2 ligaments injured42.0 ± 25.1
Based on presence of bone bruisingt test:
 Present42.1 ± 19.1t = 0.438; df = 19; P = .666
 Absent37.7 ± 25.0
Based on syndesmosis widthANOVA:
 2 mm36.0 ± N/ASSq = 7.3; df = 17; F = 0.287; P = .961
 3 mm47.5 ± 28.6
 4 mm40.3 ± 17.8
 5 mm36.8 ± 26.5
aAITFL, anterior-inferior tibiofibular ligament; ANOVA, analysis of variance; MRI, magnetic resonance imaging; N/A, not available; SSq, sum of squares.

So simply looking off this, the median time to return from injury was at 38 days, with most reporting well over that.

When reading further as to the significance of this and why the MRI results are so much higher than the others, the others pointed to this limitation and flaw in their study:

Our trial does have limitations. As the NHL database allows for voluntary input from both physicians and trainers, it is possible that some injuries diagnosed as high ankle sprains were actually other abnormalities or that other players with a diagnosis of a high ankle sprain were not captured in this database.

The entire purpose of the study was to show the significance of using MRI to diagnose high ankle sprains and to better differentiate from low ankle sprains and other abnormalities in the ankle. The possibility for overdiagnosis without MRI imaging is significant relative to without it, hence the massive limitation.

If you're going to pull something as evidence, I would recommend reading the whole article versus just the first snippit you see. I'd also recommend you stay in your lane and stop trying to push your narrative because you don't know when to just say "hey, you're right. I didn't know that and that changes things. I appreciate the heads up or info." Instead, you keep doubling down and coming off worse each time.

Put down the shovel ffs.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
You're annoying me with your ignorance and arrogance at this point, so let me take you to school for a moment (as I'm a published researcher as well in this field).

I'm assuming you've read the abstract of the article and based your entire argument off of the following:

Now, should you actually know how to deciminate and read research, you'd know that reading the abstract of an article to base your entire argument is foolish at best and utterly ridiculous at worst. And here is no better perfect example.

If you actually read the article, they present a table of all the injuries that had MRIs to diagnose them (as was the purpose of the article looking at using MRI to better Dx High ankle sprains). This was the findings:

So simply looking off this, the median time to return from injury was at 38 days, with most reporting well over that.

When reading further as to the significance of this and why the MRI results are so much higher than the others, the others pointed to this limitation and flaw in their study:

The entire purpose of the study was to show the significance of using MRI to diagnose high ankle sprains and to better differentiate from low ankle sprains and other abnormalities in the ankle. The possibility for overdiagnosis without MRI imaging is significant relative to without it, hence the massive limitation.

If you're going to pull something as evidence, I would recommend reading the whole article versus just the first snippit you see. I'd also recommend you stay in your lane and stop trying to push your narrative because you don't know when to just say "hey, you're right. I didn't know that and that changes things. I appreciate the heads up or info." Instead, you keep doubling down and coming off worse each time.

Put down the shovel ffs.
Neat, all that writing and it still doesn’t change the fact that we don’t know the severity of his injury as it could be anywhere within that range. Unless someone comes out with a diagnosis of the severity which we all know won’t happen.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don’t think Campbell is an upgrade on 2021-2022 Mike Smith. He was really signed because 40 year old Mike Smith was unlikely to repeat last years performance and to provide a longer term solution in net.
So, on balance, I don’t expect Campbell to provide an upgrade over what Smith provided last year. If the team wants to become a top five team it will have to come from key contributions from the young players.

Reactions: theoriginalBCF

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Neat, all that writing and it still doesn’t change the fact that we don’t know the severity of his injury as it could be anywhere within that range. Unless someone comes out with a diagnosis of the severity which we all know won’t happen.

I love how this random not a doctor thinks he knows something better than an actual doctor who actually publishes research.

Take a seat. Thanks for paying season tickets for a team you hate.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I love how this random not a doctor thinks he knows something better than an actual doctor who actually publishes research.

Take a seat. Thanks for paying season tickets for a team you hate.
Neither of us know, neither of us have first hand experience dealing with his specific injury. That’s the point

You can have knowledge in the field but the severity of the injury was never released

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
You have the brains to rely on an infrequent event such as goals to cherry pick a statistical anomaly that is not supported in the years he has played hockey. Best to look at chances he has allowed if you had any quantitative chops but ill leave you with your mistaken impression that he is good defensively, just like Tyson Scary and Cody Cacca
holy shit are you 12?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Why are you removing a game in a 5 game sample? His brutal 1st period is the reason they lost game 1.

Is not great stats. There’s also the whole letting in a goal from the other end of the ice which they were somehow able to overcome

Smith also did his very best to nearly single handedly toss Game 4 as well. The goal from the other end of the ice speaks for itself, but the second goal was awful as well.

Smith was legendary for giving goals up in bunches. The along the ice muffin off the wing that he let in time and time again in the playoffs all at the very worst times still annoy me thinking about them.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
Less than half a season, definitely a small sample size.

This is the season for both to prove what they can do. That or you’re admitting the Canucks can sustain being around the 3rd stingiest team in the league which makes that defence far superior to Edmontons.

So would you rather admit it’s a small sample size? Or that the Canucks are a better team than the Oilers?
half a season isn't a small sample size. especially considering the consistency they performed at. Oilers literally made the conference finals last year, but THIS is the season for them to prove it? they are a good team, just accept it.

well in that sample size the oilers were better than the Canucks lol
since Canucks coaching change .659 P% (11th in league) 57 games
since oilers coaching change .724P% (3rd in league ) 38 games

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
3rd > 11th, so yes. Your logic says Vancouver is the better team. Appreciate the compliment!

Embarrassing losses in the 1st round is now better than missing?

Qualifying round is an officially recorded playoff round. Hence why the records show they won 2 rounds (similar to how Edmonton won 2 last season)

As you Oiler fans like to say… just take the L and move on 😉
holy shit you are a joke lol

Reactions: Duke74

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
All I see is a guy who can’t handle ex Leafs doing well on other teams. Just because you don’t watch hockey beyond your team, doesn’t mean you’re not ignorant.

Like I mentioned earlier, I really don’t give a shit what you think. My team made it to the WCF while your team got respect in the handshake line while you whined about reffing.

Wasn't your team one shot away from being knocked out in the first round by LA who were missing Doughty and Arvidsson?

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
Neither of us know, neither of us have first hand experience dealing with his specific injury. That’s the point

You can have knowledge in the field but the severity of the injury was never released

So because I "don't have first hand experience dealing with his specific injury", I can't make an informed medical decision/opinion on it, despite working with NHLer's frequently and treating high ankle sprains routinely? God, how do medical consultants and team physicians ever make a diagnosis or treat people seeing as they've never worked with that one person's "specific injury"...

You keep spouting off about not knowing the severity of his injury and keep thinking that people play through them or recover without missed games when we know this isn't true. You talk about "high ankle sprains" like they're just another ankle sprain. The reason they're so dreaded is because they involve the actual joint and not just the ligaments. The minimum time for full recovery of a mild/Grade 1 high ankle sprain is 6weeks. Initial treatment is always immobilization in a boot for about 2 weeks. The only reason some hockey players start playing after 2 weeks (if grade 1) is because of how a skate differs from a shoe in that you can tape it up to try and play through to some extent given the height of the skate up the shin.

I don't know where or why you keep saying the severity is a major issue here for your argument. It's NOT an ankle sprain. It's a HIGH ankle sprain which has been reported over and over again. These are NOT something that heal in less than 6 weeks for the most mild of cases. Not to mention he was a game-time decision repeatedly until they were out of the playoffs.

You find me ONE reputable source that says otherwise. Cause a simple google of "mild high ankle sprain recovery time" or "Grade 1 high ankle sprain recovery time" will all show you the same thing that I'm saying. But you're so deep in your narrative-driven hole that I could put the Oilers team physician infront of you and you'd still find some asinine reason to knock the credibility or question Drai's injury again.

Last edited:

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018

My God, you don't stop embarrassing yourself, do you? I took you to school yesterday and an ACTUAL MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL with EXPERIENCE IN THE FIELD just proved you wrong for the billionth time. It's so sad. You can't even realize that you're continuing to make an absolute ass of yourself.

Just stop. You need serious help.

Last edited:

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
So because I "don't have first hand experience dealing with his specific injury", I can't make an informed medical decision/opinion on it, despite working with NHL's frequently and treating high ankle sprains routinely? God, how do medical consultants and team physicians ever make a diagnosis or treat people seeing as they've never worked with that one person's "specific injury"...

You keep spouting off about not knowing the severity of his injury and keep thinking that people play through them or recover without missed games when we know this isn't true. You talk about "high ankle sprains" and like they're just another ankle sprain. The reason they're so dreaded is because they involve the actual joint and not just the ligaments. The minimum time for full recovery of a mild/Grade 1 high ankle sprain is 6weeks. Initial treatment is always immobilization in a boot for about 2 weeks. The only reason some hockey players start playing after 2 weeks (if grade 1) is because of how a skate differs from a shoe in that you can tape it up to try and play through to some extent given the height of the skate up the shin.

I don't know where or why you keep saying the severity is a major issue here for your argument. It's NOT an ankle sprain. It's a HIGH ankle sprain which has been reported over and over again. These are NOT something that heal in less than 6 weeks for the most mild of cases. Not to mention he was a game-time decision repeatedly until they were out of the playoffs.

You find me ONE reputable source that says otherwise. Cause a simple google of "mild high ankle sprain recovery time" or "Grade 1 high ankle sprain recovery time" will all show you the same thing that I'm saying. But you're so deep in your narrative-driven hole that I could put the Oilers team physician infront of you and you'd still find some asinine reason to knock the credibility or question Drai's injury again.
An oilers physician would know first hand about his injury, can’t refute that. I never said anything about recovery time, only that we simply don’t know severity of it. It’s typically 4-6 weeks but it can also be less or it can also be more.

• Haha
Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
The best part about delusional Oilers fans (outside of them thinking the WCF was a very close series) is them believing that Campbell is an upgrade on Smith/Koskinen. Holland paid double for a goalie that is, at best, a lateral move.

View attachment 583167

The Maple leafs had the worst goaltending of any playoff team. And Campbell was a huge part of that.

not a fan of the Oilers in the slightest... but laughable to say Campbell isn't better than Smith and Koskinen. As for the question, Oilers could finish top five... but it ain't gonna be because of Jack Campbell.

The funny thing is, there are only so many teams in the league that the leafs can say that about. Just goes to show how much of a dumpster fire the Oiler's D core really is.

Toronto and Edmonton do not belong in the same class as Florida, Calgary, and St. Louis. Toronto should try winning ONE series first before even thinking about that.

Damn, so much wrong in one post :laugh:

Laughable to suggest Leafs and Florida are in different classes when Florida has one more playoff win, and was immediately swept by the team the Leafs took to 7 games..

Leafs finished fourth last year, they are absolutely in that top group. No question about it.

Yes, they have been cursed and can't seem to win a playoff round (Florida would be in the same spot if they drew Tampa in the 1st) but all it takes is one... then two.... then three...

Leafs are a good team. So is Edmonton. Both have chances at being a top 5 team this year.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
He let this in though

Oh, I remember

I’m removing a bad 6 minutes from a game in which Edmonton had no business being in.. regardless even if you count that he still heavily outperformed Markstrom (.907 SV% vs a .852) which was my point to begin with.

A bad goal is a bad goal - They all count the same, and he showed the ability to bounce back. Smith performed admirably down the stretch and was a driving force behind Edmonton turning their season around. The stats back that up. This is coming from a guy who thought he would be their downfall. You can’t say the same for Campbell.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

The difference is that one guy is more qualified than you are to actually know what the f*** they’re talking about.

But thank you for financially supporting the Oilers with your season tickets. Couldn’t imagine paying money for a team I hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad