Are the Oilers a top 5 contender next season with Jack Campbell?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Well I did say more predictable, which isn't hard to achieve.
It’s also less true lol. It doesn’t get more unpredictable than a goalie who was vezina caliber for half the season, then <.900 for the other half

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Since Oiler fans like splitting the past season into two chunks (with and without Woodcroft) I fail to see how they have upgraded in net. Under Woodcroft Mike Smith was statistically a top five goaltender for them with a .920 SV% (playoffs included). In addition to that they lost one of their top four defensemen - and only player with cup pedigree in Keith.

They are a very gifted team offensively that will outscore their problems more often than not during the regular season. They are in a unique position of having two of the game's premier offensive talents - but lack the goaltending and defensive depth to truly compete in my estimation.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
that actually quite far off
11th after the coaching change btw
Small sample sizes are fun

“The Canucks have given up the sixth-most goals in the NHL under Green and since Boudreau was hired, they have given up the third-fewest. Vancouver’s power play was 22nd at 17.4% under Green and is at 7th with 25.6% ever since Boudreau’s arrival.”

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Since Oiler fans like splitting the past season into two chunks (with and without Woodcroft) I fail to see how they have upgraded in net. Under Woodcroft Mike Smith was statistically a top five goaltender for them with a .920 SV% (playoffs included). In addition to that they lost one of their top four defensemen - and only player with cup pedigree in Keith.

They are a very gifted team offensively that will outscore their problems more often than not during the regular season. They are in a unique position of having two of the game's premier offensive talents - but lack the goaltending and defensive depth to truly compete in my estimation.
Mike Smith was good (mostly), but Woodcroft's new system allowed for more predictable defensive schemes

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
i'd say they are top 7. Their team is actually kind of crap but McDrai can carry them pretty far.

I don't know if there's a team in the league that goes from top 7-10 team in the league to literal lotto candidate more than Edmonton on the back of McDavid. It's actually shocking how much that one player means to that team; like even in Sid's prime if he got hurt, Malkin, Staal, Letang and Flower could still put together a 105+ point finish, I don't know if Edmonton wins more than 36/37 games if he was out for a season.

Rangers might be closest with Shesterkin, but I think they'd go from like 100+ point team to like mid 90's.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Small sample sizes are fun
38 games isn't a small sample size
“The Canucks have given up the sixth-most goals in the NHL under Green and since Boudreau was hired, they have given up the third-fewest. Vancouver’s power play was 22nd at 17.4% under Green and is at 7th with 25.6% ever since Boudreau’s arrival.”
also not a small sample size.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
38 games isn't a small sample size

also not a small sample size.
Less than half a season, definitely a small sample size.

This is the season for both to prove what they can do. That or you’re admitting the Canucks can sustain being around the 3rd stingiest team in the league which makes that defence far superior to Edmontons.

So would you rather admit it’s a small sample size? Or that the Canucks are a better team than the Oilers?

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Less than half a season, definitely a small sample size.

This is the season for both to prove what they can do. That or you’re admitting the Canucks can sustain being around the 3rd stingiest team in the league which makes that defence far superior to Edmontons
literally every team in the NHL has to prove what they can do at the start of the season lol

the difference is the Oilers have made it the past 3 seasons while the Canucks haven't

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
literally every team in the NHL has to prove what they can do at the start of the season lol

the difference is the Oilers have made it the past 3 seasons while the Canucks haven't
Not like new coaches do. So what is it? It Vancouver superior or is it a small sample size?

Also last 3 years for each team, tell me how won has been better than the other?

Both have won 2 playoff series, both have failed to do anything the other 2 years

By your logic let me get this right.
1. Vancouver is The better team because they performed better under Boudreau
2. Both teams have identical playoff success over the last 3 years. I guess Canucks still win though, they took Vegas to game 7, oilers couldn’t even win a game against Colorado

Attachments

• 7277E3CC-84A2-40E4-8E9A-C98A2D69E971.jpeg
    7277E3CC-84A2-40E4-8E9A-C98A2D69E971.jpeg
    211.9 KB · Views: 1
  • CC859072-9C32-4BB0-9225-BC806BC007C8.jpeg
    CC859072-9C32-4BB0-9225-BC806BC007C8.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Misleading greatly. As he managed to shit the bed on several occasions.
Where an easy save/play was turned into a goal.

He had a .926 SV% down the stretch when the Oilers needed him the most, and then heavily outplayed both opposition netminders in the first two rounds of the playoffs. I simply don't see how Campbell will be an upgrade. Smith was not the Oilers problem.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
All these oiler fans talking about Smith having horrible games with lots of bad goals. Just look at this gem of a game from Jack Campbell.

6-1 lead almost evaporated from terrible goals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Three On Zero

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Not like new coaches do. So what is it? It Vancouver superior or is it a small sample size?
it's not either/or in your made-up scenario

Also last 3 years for each team, tell me how won has been better than the other?
because one team has made the playoffs all 3 and the other hasn't...pretty simple

Both have won 2 playoff series, both have failed to do anything the other 2 years
false, Vancouver failed to qualify for the playoffs the past 2 seasons

By your logic let me get this right.
1. Vancouver is The better team because they performed better under Boudreau
course not, they're trending in the right direction under Boudreau because in a decent sample they were good
2. Both teams have identical playoff success over the last 3 years. I guess Canucks still win though, they took Vegas to game 7, oilers couldn’t even win a game against Colorado
wait what? that was the second round :laugh:

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
it's not either/or in your made-up scenario

because one team has made the playoffs all 3 and the other hasn't...pretty simple

false, Vancouver failed to qualify for the playoffs the past 2 seasons

course not, they're trending in the right direction under Boudreau because in a decent sample they were good

wait what? that was the second round :laugh:

3rd > 11th, so yes. Your logic says Vancouver is the better team. Appreciate the compliment!

Embarrassing losses in the 1st round is now better than missing?

Qualifying round is an officially recorded playoff round. Hence why the records show they won 2 rounds (similar to how Edmonton won 2 last season)

As you Oiler fans like to say… just take the L and move on 😉

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
3rd > 11th, so yes. Your logic says Vancouver is the better team. Appreciate the compliment!
quite the mental gymnastics you are using

Embarrassing losses in the 1st round is now better than missing?
losing 10-0 in 4 straight playoff games is better than being an awful team like the Canucks...you're serious?

Qualifying round is an officially recorded playoff round. Hence why the records show they won 2 rounds (similar to how Edmonton won 2 last season)
As you Oiler fans like to say… just take the L and move on 😉
so far in this thread you haven't been able to differentiate between assist and points, pretend some secondary assists are better than others, act like a doctor regarding Draisaitl's injury...and now you don't understand the difference between the Conference Finals and the 2nd round :laugh:

these L's are astounding

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
quite the mental gymnastics you are using

losing 10-0 in 4 straight playoff games is better than being an awful team like the Canucks...you're serious?

so far in this thread you haven't been able to differentiate between assist and points, pretend some secondary assists are better than others, act like a doctor regarding Draisaitl's injury...and now you don't understand the difference between the Conference Finals and the 2nd round :laugh:

these L's are astounding
No need for mental gymnastics when you’re the one posting the facts for me.

I never claimed a difference between secondary assists, I claim a difference between forwards and defenceman

Being swept is far more embarrassing than missing

I never claimed how far either team went, I stated they both won TWO rounds. Which is factually true based on NHL records saying the playing are a playoff series win

A large study was done on high ankle sprains in the NHL, no need to act like a doctor when you can find the study with a simple google search 😉

These L’a are astounding, it’s been fun but it’s time to move on 😉

Last edited:

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018

The Canucks made it to round 2, plus won a 5 game series vs a good Wild team 2 seasons ago, 2020 playoffs. They have shown they can do it. I think you put too much stock into some pretty brutal Covid seasons and injuries. Add in a coach who did not play the team the way it was designed to be played, and you get what you got once BB took over. They're far better than you think, and much closer, if not better overall than the Oilers. Certainly in Net, on D, and as deep at forward. They just don't have a Conner McDavid, who is a player that Pettersson definitely could be, a difference maker on another level. I'll take Vancouver Center depth overall and Wing depth any day, and certainly Demko and Hughes over Campbell and Nurse.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
It is a very broad term, it can result
in no missed time or up to around 270 days recovery. Of hockey players who miss time due to a high ankle sprain the average recovery is 22 days.

A high ankle sprain is far more severe than a low ankle sprain. I will give you that

Mike Smith was one of the best outlet passers in hockey as a goalie. It will be interesting to see a more conservative goalie playing for Edmonton full time

Saying a "high ankle sprain" is a broad term because it can result in no missed time in very rare cases (despite the fact its been repeatedly reported that Drai recquired multiple injections to even manage it) is like saying "cancer" is a very broad term because it results from very little symptoms to death.

High ankle sprains are one of the more serious injuries a player can have in sport outside of a break or complete muscle tear, and arguably more annoying than either because every time you try to "push/play through" it, if its too soon you just set yourself back weeks/months. At least with breaks and tears you literally can't do anything except rest and wait for several weeks until beginning return to sport.

Reactions: Duke74

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Saying a "high ankle sprain" is a broad term because it can result in no missed time in very rare cases (despite the fact its been repeatedly reported that Drai recquired multiple injections to even manage it) is like saying "cancer" is a very broad term because it results from very little symptoms to death.

High ankle sprains are one of the more serious injuries a player can have in sport outside of a break or complete muscle tear, and arguably more annoying than either because every time you try to "push/play through" it, if its too soon you just set yourself back weeks/months. At least with breaks and tears you literally can't do anything except rest and wait for several weeks until beginning return to sport.
Now who’s pretending to be a doctor? When recovery can be anywhere between a couple weeks to a year, that’s a pretty broad injury

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
Now who’s pretending to be a doctor? When recovery can be anywhere between a couple weeks to a year, that’s a pretty broad injury

I'm a Doctor of Physiotherapy... there is no pretend. It's my ****ing job to deal with this every day.

Get out of here with your WedMD degree, slandering my knowledge and profession cause it doesn't fit your agenda. Cause lord help us all if you're actually in healthcare

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I thought Jack Campbell was a decent goalie. Flawed and not top tier but decent. He ain't pushing any team over the top from what I saw of him in Toronto. I wish him well though, very nice guy and Edmonton's lucky to have him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad