Are the Oilers a top 5 contender next season with Jack Campbell?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Whatever Leafs fan. I stopped taking you seriously when you said Barrie and Ceci wouldn’t crack any other team. You doubled down on the shitastic take and then went with the usual Leafs victim route.

Just take a step back and think: MAYBE those ex Leafs aren’t actually bad on other teams. Shocking development.

You keep bringing up the fact about non Pacific rivals like I give a shit. Only thing that matters is MY team made it to the conference finals, while you’re whining about the refs and how they rigged it against your team.
Just sit back and think, the guys who were too bad to play on Ottawa and Toronto are considered good on Edmonton. Should tell you enough about the state of the Oilers D.

"We made the conference finals!" congrats, and like I've mentioned earlier, in the last 5 years the Oilers have just 1 win against a non-pacific team in the playoffs and 11 losses. Best of the worst division, crazy how you still don't understand this.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Campbell is going to get exposed in a big way in Edmonton's no-defense system playing behind that horrific defense.

They barely crack the top five in the West IMO, let alone the entire league.

Colorado
Calgary
St Louis
Nashville/LA/Edmonton/Vegas

Geez, Oilers fans think a great deal about a team who's biggest success was getting swept in the conference finals.

Reactions: Rude Dog

KyleDubasBoyGenius

Sep 13, 2022
Campbell is good. The issue is he's a platoon goalie and just got 5x5. there's risk involved there. He's never played 50 games ever, but they expect 50 games every year now.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Only group of people I've ever seen that feel justified chirping from what is very clearly not a favorable position. The mental math they deploy to attempt to chirp the Oilers is hilarious.

"The Flames haven't been successful at all, BUT LOOK AT HOW UNSUCCESSFUL THE OILERS HAVE BEEN GETTING TO A PLACE THE FLAMES HAVE NEVER EVEN SNIFFED WHILE RUNNING OVER THE FLAMES TO GET THERE!!!"

What a burn.
Little brother syndrome. It's quite sad actually.

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
So much Oiler hate. They were a top 4 team last year. They are the exact same team but they improved their goaltending and will be introducing more young depth. Drai and nurse will be coming into the season healthy and the Oilers will be active at the deadline. They are easily a top 10 team and just on the cusp of breaking top 5.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Campbell is going to get exposed in a big way in Edmonton's no-defense system playing behind that horrific defense.

Colorado
Calgary
St Louis

Geez, Oilers fans think a great deal about a team who's biggest success was getting swept in the conference finals.
cool, we beat two of those teams you just mentioned...I like our chances

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Just sit back and think, the guys who were too bad to play on Ottawa and Toronto are considered good on Edmonton. Should tell you enough about the state of the Oilers D.
you're talking about Ceci right...that guy that had a career high in points? not the Oilers fault the Leafs and Sens couldn't identify talent

"We made the conference finals!" congrats, and like I've mentioned earlier, in the last 5 years the Oilers have just 1 win against a non-pacific team in the playoffs and 11 losses. Best of the worst division, crazy how you still don't understand this.
how triggered are you that the Oilers are still in the Pacific next year?

then again, the Leafs can't even beat Columbus or Montreal in the playoffs..

CanHeDoIt99

Mar 14, 2022
I'm not sure if its ironic, because it was very different. In Edmonton, it was game by game. Regardless of which guy we had in the net, we didn't know if we were getting a show stealing performance or if we were getting a guy who couldn't stop a beach ball. Every night. Campbell isn't a superstar and we know that, but I don't think we will get the types of swings in play that we saw in Edmonton from him last year. I've never quite seen anything like last years goaltending insanity in between the pipes in Edmonton.

I think Edmonton game to game will have a more reliable goaltender to give them average starts. But the streakiness is frankly just inherent in the position itself when you don't have a top 5 goalie in the league. Everyone rides large up and down swings, some smaller ones in season - some when you take a step back are a season long relative to other seasons. Just a lot of variance.

I think Edmonton as a whole got better goaltending than Toronto did last year though, when you zoom out. It certainly was a bit more chaotic. This doesn't mean I think they take a step back or even made a bad decision pivoting to Campbell - I think its likely that Campbell in 2022-2023 would be better than Smith/Koskinen in 2022-2023, regardless of the result last year.

Basically:

- Edmonton is better off with Campbell than what they had.
- What Edmonton had as a whole overpeformed last year, making it not unreasonable that Campbell doesn't match what they got.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Nurse - Bouchard
Kulak - Barrie
Broberg - Ceci

I would have Bouchard up with Nurse. I can see next year Bouchard emerging as their #2 dman. Kulak and Barrie played well together last year so I'd keep them together.

Reactions: Duke74

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
So you are saying he is good defensively? Wow. He isn't a rookie. People have actually seen him play for years.
Im saying he's not terrible defensively like you are claiming. do you have anything to back up your claim? or are you just spewing garbage takes again?

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Im saying he's not terrible defensively like you are claiming. do you have anything to back up your claim? or are you just spewing garbage takes again?
Screenshot_20220914-110104_Chrome.jpg

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
It sounds like that series victory is enough for all Oilers fans. I'm content that you're all content with that

What are people content with in Calgary?

Getting to the second round finally?

Being maybe as good as last year?

Comically chirping the Oilers?

It's all I can really think of.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Draisaitl has the highest playoff PPG for any modern era player (30 games minimum)

Draisaitl - 1.59 ppg
McDavid - 1.49 ppg
MacKinnon - 1.32 ppg
Crosby (first 4 playoffs only) - 1.22 ppg
Kucherov - 1.13 ppg
Crosby - 1.12 ppg
Malkin - 1.01 ppg
P. Kane - 0.97 ppg
Ovechkin - 0.96 ppg
Matthews - 0.84 ppg
Tavares - 0.82 ppg

Even if you account for Crosby/Malkin/Ovy/Kane's first 4 playoff runs only (times where they were more in their peak/prime), Draisaitl is still no.1. I added Crosby's first 4 years in the playoffs just for reference.

Draisaitl is simply a beast of a player.

Last edited:
Reactions: capazzo and Duke74

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018

Colorado
Calgary
St Louis

There is such a thing as a sore winner.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
evolving wild GAR is your reasoning? yikes
actual numbers suggest he was good defensively for oilers. in the regular season at 5on5 Kane was 2nd best for oilers at GA/60, despite playing 34.9% of his time vs elite competition (more than Matthews lol)
Criticize the stats all you want but sitting at the 10th percentile defensively does not even make it a question even if the margin of error is exceeded to the maximum. Your attempts to put lipstick on that pig is just silly. Take a knee and the L.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Criticize the stats all you want but sitting at the 10th percentile defensively does not even make it a question even if the margin of error is exceeded to the maximum. Your attempts to put lipstick on that pig is just silly. Take a knee and the L.
He fits well with the “defence need not apply” team Holland has poorly constructed

Reactions: Notsince67

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Colorado
Calgary
St Louis

lol at Avs fans trying desperately to prop up the Flames because they know Edmonton is a bigger threat in the longer term. Colorado and maybe St. Louis I can buy, but the rest of the teams on that list aren't better than the Oilers. The Oilers made shredded wheat of the Flames D corps in the playoffs and they eat Nashville alive any time they play them.

Reactions: Duke74

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
take the L? dude im providing legit evidence that when Kane is on the ice oilers get scored on less, DESPITE having more difficult minutes than the reigning Hart winner. EW is widely criticized for having terrible metrics, specifically with evaluating defence. They dont know how to evaluate context, or account for ice time usage, difficulty of those minutes. Let alone the flaws with xG which dont account for cross ice passes, how a puck got to shooting position or where every other player is on the ice during the shot.

take the L? lol dude at least I have the brain capacity to think for myself, actually understand statistics, and evaluate on ice play. you just base your entire opinion on some shitty public model, which most others disregard.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Curb stomped? He would barely be the 5th best offensively gifted forward on the leafs. My am i feeling bruised that I pointed out he is so crap defensively, he would actually be bottom 3 in defensive talent. Totally over rating this guy. He is a mid level one way player
Is he really that bad offensively? I think he would be higher than 5th best on an offense so anemic, they only muster 1 goal in back to back game sevens.

Ironic when Ottawa wanted to dump Murray and his salary to you....

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad