Confirmed with Link: Arbitration Avoided, Bratt Signs for 1 year, $5.45 million

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Agreed. But if Bratt has a down year then maybe we shouldn't be screaming for Fitz to back up the Brinks truck for him?
That's what I'm saying. If Bratt has a down year, Fitz will be validated in holding the line during the 2022 negotiations, but Bratt/Persson would probably (definitely) still be looking to milk max value. The resulting standoff would almost certainly destroy the relationship.

Things will be much easier for all involved if Bratt just lights it up again.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
@ScottyK , @glenwo2 , @ninetyeight , @TrufleShufle

Yep, you guys are right, sorry I was confused (honest mistake). Edited my initial post to give better context. Sincere thx for you guys correcting this -- I know no one ever thank ppl / apologizes on hf boards but I really do mean that. Honest mistake on my part and thx again for correcting it

Another EDIT: Hello Devs fans, thought I was on the main board this whole time. Not having a great morning so far :rolleyes:

Last edited:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
It's not almost certain that it does. If they throw Johnsson on waivers and he gets claimed, LTIR is avoided. In the scenario of 8x8, you're looking at $84.6M with Wood, at 13/7/2 with one of the 7 being Okhotiuk or Bahl, so you're short a roster spot and have Bernier on LTIR, and there's not a lot of room left. It's not where the Devils want to be.
But it's still preferable to having to go through another painful negotiation process with Bratt a year from now and if unable to find an agreement having to deal him or risk seeing him walk.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
@ScottyK , @glenwo2 , @ninetyeight , @TrufleShufle

Yep, you guys are right, sorry I was confused (honest mistake). Edited my initial post to give better context. Sincere thx for you guys correcting this -- I know no one ever thank ppl / apologizes on hf boards but I really do mean that. Honest mistake on my part and thx again for correcting it
I was ready for a fight, I don't like this. It makes me uncomfortable.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
The positive I can take away from this is he was already deserving of 8 and I don’t see any realistic year upping that price by much if a long term deal were to end up getting done. This does absolutely nothing to ease my anxiety over how we’re just going to go through this same song and dance in a year

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I hope we get a good return on the trade
Depends on what you think is a good return but wings nearing UFA tend to return less than most HFB posters think they will. Trades are also tougher for the Devils now since they look to be a cap team this year. Few teams have the space to be adding $5.45 mil wings at this point.

FascinationStreet

Dec 6, 2021
There is of course another element to this that none of us can really see. We don't know what Jesper is really like as a person, as a competitor. Things only those in the locker room and org know. He has been benched multiple times by different coaches for what seemed to be borderline line questionable reasons, perhaps as reported it was an effort/dedication thing. Maybe Jesper is not really a competitor, maybe he has a weird personality, who knows. There could be so much more to the story. Either way, we have to examine Fitz and his behavior in other instances to assess where the blame lies. The evidence shows Fitz is not only willing to pay players for future performance (maybe not unreasonably so but still..), but that he is generally a players coach who values culture, personality and attitude. My brain does the math and says it makes no sense that Fitz did a massive low ball offer or was overly insulting in the negotiation (or lack there of) process. The logical conclusion is that the issue is coming from the Bratt camp and as many have said it probably lies somewhere between wanting the extra 28yo pay day/agent is a douche/etc..etc...

This team needs more pieces and at least another year or so of development and team building to enter the PO discussion. Fitz hasn't given me much reason to believe he doesn't understand that and I choose to believe that he will parlay Bratt into helpful pieces or get him signed to a longer term when he proves himself again.

Reactions: HBK27 and Devs3cups

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Totally makes sense. We’ll be back at again next year, at which point there will be more clarity on Bratt as a producer and where the cap will be going fwd.

Also allows for a bunch of contacts to clear out. As wingers i think of Johnsson and Tatar as the most notable. But Bernier graves and sevs as well.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Depends on what you think is a good return but wings nearing UFA tend to return less than most HFB posters think they will. Trades are also tougher for the Devils now since they look to be a cap team this year. Few teams have the space to be adding $5.45 mil wings at this point.

There’s no outcome where we come out on top of a trade. Nobody bringup “oh but people said that about Tkachuk”. It’s irrelevant because Tkachuk was a sign and trade for 8 years.

We need to keep him long term. Don’t care if it’s a bit of a market overpay. You pay for your stars.

Reactions: glenwo2

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
So basically we'll do this again next year, but at least any nastiness from the arbitration process has been avoided.
I don’t know if coming to a last second agreement at the number the arbitrator was going to award anyway avoided the nastiness.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
That's what I'm saying. If Bratt has a down year, Fitz will be validated in holding the line during the 2022 negotiations, but Bratt/Persson would probably (definitely) still be looking to milk max value. The resulting standoff would almost certainly destroy the relationship.

Things will be much easier for all involved if Bratt just lights it up again.
Ya let Bratt confirm his role as a star player. Then we can pay him as one. A banged up or unproductive Bratt doesn’t help anybody.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Totally makes sense. We’ll be back at again next year, at which point there will be more clarity on Bratt as a producer and where the cap will be going fwd.

Also allows for a bunch of contacts to clear out. As wingers i think of Johnsson and Tatar as the most notable. But Bernier graves and sevs as well.
Plus the Devils get another year to see how Rango, Mercer, and Holtz develop to get a better idea what they may cost moving forward.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I don’t know if coming to a last second agreement at the number the arbitrator was going to award anyway avoided the nastiness.
Well the Devils didn’t have to submit any rationale or comps for their $4.15 million offer.

Anything in the Devils documentation could have the potential to cause hard feelings.

————-

I agree with the general point though; we have no idea how amicable or nasty this negotiation was.

I’ve been involved in hard bargaining that was friendly and easy bargaining that was nasty. Negotiations being hard on the numbers doesn’t necessarily make hard on the feelings.

Reactions: HBK27

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Exactly.

This deal gives Fitz and Bratt/JOKE'im the opportunity to try and hammer out a deal in the meantime with no restrictions like that 1/1/23 date.

We'll see what happens in the coming days...weeks....months....

yeah.
Please educate me, lad. If they actually went to arbitration, they couldn’t negotiate a long term extension before 1/1/23. But since they avoided it, they can sign him 8x8 today if they would like and have it kick in next year.

Is this correct?

Reactions: HBK27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad