Confirmed with Link: Arbitration Avoided, Bratt Signs for 1 year, $5.45 million

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Well, this is unfortunate. They basically just "settled" on what the arbiter would've handed out anyway.

Bratt wants to go to UFA. Devils will have to trade him. That sucks.
More speculation. Without knowing what both parties were like looking for we are only guessing.

Reactions: glenwo2

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Well, this is unfortunate. They basically just "settled" on what the arbiter would've handed out anyway.

Bratt wants to go to UFA. Devils will have to trade him. That sucks.

Trading him makes no sense. You’re not getting value back if he’s not signing for term. He’s also not getting more anywhere else because of the lack of an 8th year from other teams. You keep Bratt and you just f***ing pay him. 8x8 would mean he needs 9.14x7. We’re not getting beat financially as long as we’re willing to pay.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
More speculation. Without knowing what both parties were like looking for we are only guessing.
I don't think it's speculation to say that Bratt did not get an offer that he liked. Considering he settled on a one-year deal.

Next offseason, he'll have the ability to go to arbitration again. He can take the one-year award and head straight to unrestricted free agency. If he has another big season, he stands to get a massive contract.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I don't think it's speculation to say that Bratt did not get an offer that he liked. Considering he settled on a one-year deal.

Next offseason, he'll have the ability to go to arbitration again. He can take the one-year award and head straight to unrestricted free agency. If he has another big season, he stands to get a massive contract.
Yeah and maybe that contract will be from us!

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
D3C5BD29-8876-435C-8356-C1D34BB3DD55.jpeg

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Trading him makes no sense. You’re not getting value back if he’s not signing for term. He’s also not getting more anywhere else because of the lack of an 8th year from other teams. You keep Bratt and you just f***ing pay him. 8x8 would mean he needs 9.14x7. We’re not getting beat financially as long as we’re willing to pay.
I wouldn't trade him either. And I agree, there is no way the Devils are winning a Bratt trade. But it doesn't really seem like Fitz was willing to pay that much. I would've given him 8x8 this offseason to lock him long-term. Obviously Fitz disagrees.

There will be the allure of just taking another one-year deal and heading to UFA. Bratt might value UFA not necessarily for the money, but for being able to choose his location.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I wouldn't trade him either. And I agree, there is no way the Devils are winning a Bratt trade. But it doesn't really seem like Fitz was willing to pay that much. I would've given him 8x8 this offseason to lock him long-term. Obviously Fitz disagrees.

There will be the allure of just taking another one-year deal and heading to UFA. Bratt might value UFA not necessarily for the money, but for being able to choose his location.

I think Fitz wants a repeat and then would be willing to pay. I’d have just paid but even with a monster year it’s not coming in much higher than 8.

Reactions: Devs3cups and Mgd31

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I obviously would have preferred a 6, 7 or 8 year deal, but I honestly see this as a win-win.

1. Bratt replicates what he did last season. That is a positive team this year, and I think the Devils would be happy to give him an 8x8 contract if he does so.

2. Bratt regresses quite a bit, which would stink for the team success this season, but would give Fitz way more negotiating power next summer.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Not getting an offer he liked is not the same as wanting to go UFA(and thus needs to be traded).

For various reasons Devils may be much more willing to offer more next off season.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Am I making a mistake? Isn't the Miles Wood contract up? He played, didn't, last year 21-22 under his 2018 4-year contract. Didn't that contract end? He now isn't on a contract? Help, thanks. Bad Day for me, confused.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I obviously would have preferred a 6, 7 or 8 year deal, but I honestly see this as a win-win.

1. Bratt replicates what he did last season. That is a positive team this year, and I think the Devils would be happy to give him an 8x8 contract if he does so.

2. Bratt regresses quite a bit, which would stink for the team success this season, but would give Fitz way more negotiating power next summer.

Bratt regressing next year really doesn’t give Fitz any negotiating power. The power remains solely in Bratt’s court. A down year is bad for us all around. I think it lowers his willingness to sign long term a ton. I think he’d rather just bet on himself and take another one year deal rather than take less on a long term deal.

Reactions: DevilDog

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think Fitz wants a repeat and then would be willing to pay. I’d have just paid but even with a monster year it’s not coming in much higher than 8.

Not getting an offer he liked is not the same as wanting to go UFA(and thus needs to be traded).

For various reasons Devils may be much more willing to offer more next off season.
He may very well re-sign long-term next summer. But I don't think the one-year deal is really a positive indication of that happening (the opposite IMO).

The Devils are now in a spot where Bratt has much more leverage.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Am I making a mistake? Isn't the Miles Wood contract up? He played, didn't, last year 21-22 under his 2018 4-year contract. Didn't that contract end? He now isn't on a contract? Help, thanks. Bad Day for me, confused.

Yea but an RFA

Yea its better if Bratt has a monster year (he should, he's a star) and Fitz throws him the long term bag. A down year will complicate things like you said.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He may very well re-sign long-term next summer. But I don't think the one-year deal is really a positive indication of that happening (the opposite IMO).

The narrative has been that there is benefit for Bratt to sign a shorter deal.

One year may be too short to really reap the benefits but it still provides the opportunity to earn an extra million per season on his long term. (Say the devs were offering 7 per this time but could offer 8 next year).

Wonder if that is discussed at the negotiating table?

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

I think what a one year deal says is Fitz wants another year to be willing to pay his worth and given him a comparable deal to a Fiala or Norris or Thomas (which is dumb and he should’ve just paid). Bratt wasn’t willing to take the “significant” long term offer we made which was probably like 6.5 to 7 or something. That says nothing about his willingness to sign long term if he’s paid his worth.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
This would be awful. It's already bad enough that they brought him back for a year but I get their rationale - this would be really, really bad.
I revised it down a year but some are still hating on Wood because of poor corsi numbers from 5 years ago.

If he has a healthy and productive season signing him makes sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad