Confirmed with Link: Arbitration Avoided, Bratt Signs for 1 year, $5.45 million

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Didn't Fitz offer Bratt.....$4.15M?
This was the arbitration offer. It means nothing in regards to what long-term offer was put on the table.

For example, MTL offered PK a little over 5 mil in arbitration a few years back. They ended up signing him to a 9 mil deal a few days later.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
That was the arbitration number for a 1-2 year deal. The actual offer for a long term contract was certainly higher than that.
Thanks

This was the arbitration offer. It means nothing in regards to what long-term offer was put on the table.

For example, MTL offered PK a little over 5 mil in arbitration a few years back. They ended up signing him to a 9 mil deal a few days later.
Thanks

What a team submits to arbitration ≠ what a team is offering in a contract
Thank you

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The narrative has been that there is benefit for Bratt to sign a shorter deal.

One year may be too short to really reap the benefits but it still provides the opportunity to earn an extra million per season on his long term. (Say the devs were offering 7 per this time but could offer 8 next year).

Wonder if that is discussed at the negotiating table?

I highly doubt there is some sort of gentleman's agreement in the back pocket here.

I don’t think what a one year deal says is Fitz wants another year to be willing to pay his worth and given him a comparable deal to a Fiala or Norris or Thomas (which is dumb and he should’ve just paid). Bratt wasn’t willing to take the “significant” long term offer we made which was probably like 6.5 to 7 or something. That says nothing about his willingness to sign long term if he’s paid his worth.
Fitz was willing to pay up for Jack before he really had any significant production (Obviously he was a 1st overall, but he wasn't an out-of-the-box star). Bratt has a lot more of a track record behind him. Maybe Fitz is willing to give him a big-time contract after "one more" year of production. Or maybe he just doesn't value Bratt as highly as we do.

What I'm saying is that Bratt now has a lot more leverage. I think him having more leverage increases the chances he'll want to explore UFA as it becomes closer.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I think Bratt wants to remain a Devil but he wants the Hughes contract. Fitz probably offered something less than Hischier's contract

I agree.

My best guess would be that Fitz offered a 7/8 year deal worth ~6.5 million per season. And Bratt camp said on a 7/8 year deal we want 8 million per. And Fitz said no way.

If Bratt puts up another monster year, I'd have no problem shelling out an 8x8 contract to him next summer.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I highly doubt there is some sort of gentleman's agreement in the back pocket here.

Fitz was willing to pay up for Jack before he really had any significant production (Obviously he was a 1st overall, but he wasn't an out-of-the-box star). Bratt has a lot more of a track record behind him. Maybe Fitz is willing to give him a big-time contract after "one more" year of production. Or maybe he just doesn't value Bratt as highly as we do.

What I'm saying is that Bratt now has a lot more leverage. I think him having more leverage increases the chances he'll want to explore UFA as it becomes closer.

The entire crux of this relies whether Fitz would be willing to pay Bratt with a repeat. If he is then the UFA stuff is all likely irrelevant as he’s not getting more elsewhere. If he’s not then we’re utterly f***ed.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi my Devils friends,

Just heard the news. Was hoping it would be a bridge/longer term deal but perhaps that comes before the year is out. At least the potential harm from an arbitration hearing was avoided.

Hope you’re all having a great summer,

Cheers
0EFEA7E7-7A5B-49E9-A557-4D5F51A3299D.gif

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Gentlemens agreement or not. There was benefit on Bratts side to signing a shorter deal.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I know you're not being patronizing on purpose but...man...
No, I'm not. Its emphathy.
I was on the fire before the draft. I dis know how it will end way long before. Before Mckenzie and Promax even think to say something. But it did make my life easier.
I did check statuses and infos everyday. That was hard to read about trade Bratt or other stupid staff.
Its really painful to be involved sometimes and love the team realy hard. Its hard.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
It just feels like some of you are taking it way too personally. Like Jesper is saying “f*** this team, I don’t want to be here” rather than “I’m going to have another amazing year and then you’re going to pay me a ton of money to play hockey with these guys love”.

It’s not like he has some “home” he can go to like Parise did. Unless you actually think he just wants to go to a low tax state because he literally only cares about money.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
It just feels like some of you are taking it way too personally. Like Jesper is saying “f*** this team, I don’t want to be here” rather than “I’m going to have another amazing year and then you’re going to pay me a ton of money to play hockey with these guys love”.

It’s not like he has some “home” he can go to like Parise did. Unless you actually think he just wants to go to a low tax state because he literally only cares about money.

Yeah I’m not going to be mad at a player for not taking less than they deserve. I’d like to know what Fitz was actually offering and his true thoughts on Bratt to know just how angry I should be with him

It’s infinitely better than a 2 or 3 year deal. He’s still an RFA after this. If he puts up another big year, there’s no more “it was a fluke” bullshit. We have money coming off the books and can actually pay him what he deserves. And if he has a down year (he won’t), then we can get him for cheaper.

There just isn’t reason to panic here. Why should Jesper have locked himself into a long term deal before the cap rises and before he’s fully established himself as an elite player?

We’re not getting him for cheaper with a down year. He’d take another year deal and then go to UFA if we’re not offering to his liking.

Reactions: glenwo2

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
jack hughes and Nico Hischier both did and I think we all wanted jesper Bratt too also
They’ll both be UFAs at age 28. And he didn’t have the 1OA clout to get the deal he probably deserves.

If I know I’m training harder and getting better every year, and I’ve beaten the odds every step of the way in my career as a small 6th round pick, why am I not betting on myself again? You have to be a bit of a psycho to make it in professional sports lol. He will probably enjoy the challenge of proving it again.

Reactions: My3Sons

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I think we need some clarification on the arbitration process. I was under the impression it’s no longer a GM firing up a big “this player actually sucks and isn’t worth any money” powerpoint in front of the player and their agent.

Is it actually still that? I could’ve sworn people say it’s not the contentious debate it used to be, but then even our own beat writer is still parroting the story of Milbury making a guy cry at a hearing.

Last edited:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I revised it down a year but some are still hating on Wood because of poor corsi numbers from 5 years ago.

If he has a healthy and productive season signing him makes sense.

It's not 'poor Corsi numbers from 5 years ago', it's the fact that Wood has arguably two plus skills, one was for sure but now we don't know, thanks to surgery: straight-line speed and one I'm granting for the sake of argument: some hands around the net. His weaknesses are basically everything else but especially passing the puck. This isn't a player who is going to outsmart his limitations - if his skating just becomes average, he's not an NHL player anymore. Couple that with his reckless playstyle, which is great but not suited for NHL longevity, and it's hard for me to see the circumstance where Wood merits keeping.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
What’s the benefit in avoiding arbitration? Still a 1 yr deal
I have been under the belief that if we avoid arbitration and signed a 1 year deal then we can trade him at any point. But if he was awarded a 1 year deal thru arbitration then we can’t trade him until a certain date

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
also i’m sure this is coming from Bratt’s agent, but i think considering their own filing at the hearing was so low, it’s clear Fitz’s long term contract offer went no higher than 6m, maybe was more like 5 and change.

It was said the offer was "significant". I doubt that's in the 5s. It was likely in the 6s. Being willing to take 6.5 for one year and being willing to take 6.5 for 7 or 8 years at 24 years old are WILDLY different things.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Obviously a positive he won’t be UFA but this is probably going to happen again next offseason, he needs a new agent asap

Reactions: glenwo2

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Obviously a positive he won’t be UFA but this is probably going to happen again next offseason, he needs a new agent asap

He won't get more from somewhere else as a UFA (as long as we're willing to pay) even if it comes down to another one year deal next year. The 8th year is massive. 8x8 means 9.14x7 elsewhere. As long as we're willing to pay we're not getting beat financially

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad