OT: Anything Goes 41

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I don't know what C+ is, but you're about the same size as me.

I chose high school hockey over Jr B when I was young because I couldn't stand Jr hockey and how they played back then, and knew I wasn't going anywhere, so no point in getting hurt over it. Ended up shattering my leg in half after playing 1 high school hockey game, so that was it for competitive hockey for me.
A B C D. Most guys are C- to D+.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
A B C D. Most guys are C- to D+.
Depends on where/how they played. I'd argue that anyone who played travel hockey and varsity high school, can likely play B, if they're still in shape. Once I'm back in better shape, I fully plan on stepping onto our B roster. I'm still not in that kind of shape right now, despite having dropped like 25lbs over the past year or so.

Most guys are C or C2, IMO. Even in the C2 leagues there are usually a decent amount of good players on each team, and not really many true "benders". The worst guys in C2 are typically the type that played house league their whole lives, but have played for longer periods of time. A teams are generally guys who played some level of juniors, pro, semi-pro, or college, and are mostly still in that kind of shape.

In Canada we have AAA, A, and B.

Once you are 16+ it's OHL, Jr. B, Jr. C, Jr D, or A (hometown travel team)

DHF is talking men's league levels.

Amateur travel hockey is A, AA, AAA, and then either high school or juniors, then college. College has different levels, obviously, like D1, D2, Club, etc.

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Ahh, we don't have men's league rankings here that I'm aware of. I've played on teams with/against college/euro players, OHL players etc. It;s usually a mish mash of guys,
Illinois is generally broken down into A, B, C, C2, (sometimes C3), and like starter leagues that are usually guys just learning to play in actual games(which is also sometimes called C3 or D), and all based upon skill level. With A being the highest.

There are even more specific ones, too. Like a 40+ Elite League.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Depends on where/how they played. I'd argue that anyone who played travel hockey and varsity high school, can likely play B, if they're still in shape. Once I'm back in better shape, I fully plan on stepping onto our B roster. I'm still not in that kind of shape right now, despite having dropped like 25lbs over the past year or so.

Most guys are C, IMO. Even in the C2 leagues there are usually a decent amount of good players on each team. A teams are generally guys who played some level of juniors, pro, semi-pro, or college, and are mostly still in that kind of shape.

DHF is talking men's league levels.

Amateur travel hockey is A, AA, AAA, and then either high school or juniors, then college. College has different levels, obviously, like D1, D2, Club, etc.
Yea, I'm absolutely talking about beer league level. And it's all relative. A C+ Chicago guy is a solid A- in Atlanta.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yea, I'm absolutely talking about beer league level. And it's all relative. A C+ Chicago guy is a solid A- in Atlanta.
Yeah, I was specifically pointing to just Illinois, and not necessarily the entirety of the US.

Leagues vary rink to rink, too. A guy who plays on a C team at Johnny's or Fifth Third can probably play on a B team somewhere else and be just fine. Depends on the quality of the league at that rink, as a whole.

Reactions: DisgruntledHawkFan

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

Yeah. That variance always sucks when you're on a higher level team and looking to pickup an extra guy. You get a contact off the free agent list, who has played "A" hockey. Turns out, he played A hockey in a place where A hockey is total dogshit(because there are only two levels), and he's basically a C2 level player here. :facepalm:

The leagues at Johnny's always throw people for a loop. Especially considering the amount of overlap between Elite league, A league, and B league. Then the overlap with A, B, and B2. The top teams in those leagues, have 4-5 guys that play in all of them. Those leagues at the top, are all pretty damn good hockey. The pace in some games just blows your mind. Legit 45 second shifts. lol

Ahh, we don't have men's league rankings here that I'm aware of. I've played on teams with/against college/euro players, OHL players etc. It;s usually a mish mash of guys,

And that's probably why what happened to you, happens a lot. Because you have guys that really don't belong on the same ice together. I'm shocked the leagues aren't organized better in f***ing Canada. That's just silly.

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
I've never played at Johnny's or 5/3rd. Stuck to the burbs. In Tampa now. I've always heard it's tough to get a spot unless you know someone on a team. Still like that?

Reactions: Pez68

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Shit like this is a good reminder of why I don't miss playing. Doesn't help that I was never any good, but guys have asked me to play beer league and I have no desire. Watching is more my speed these days.

Reactions: DisgruntledHawkFan

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
And that's probably why what happened to you, happens a lot. Because you have guys that really don't belong on the same ice together. I'm shocked the leagues aren't organized better in f***ing Canada. That's just silly.
It's not a league that I play in, just pick up with a bunch of friends of friends kind of thing.

There are leagues, and Im sure there are leagues that better organized than the ones I have played in, in the past.

if you have guys that can hang at that level just embrace it.
Yeah, it can be fun going up against the guys who played at a high level. I remember playing against Greg McKegg and poking the puck off of his stick a few times, made you feel good, until he dangled the shit out of you and skated by you like you were standing still. lol

Reactions: ChiHawks10

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I've felt your pain many times. I'm highly allergic to poison ivy and poison oak. It gets nasty. Sorry man.

I have been applying some cream that is helping, but only seems to last for so long. The biggest pain has been waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to settle down because of it.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
It's not a league that I play in, just pick up with a bunch of friends of friends kind of thing.

There are leagues, and Im sure there are leagues that better organized than the ones I have played in, in the past.

Yeah, it can be fun going up against the guys who played at a high level. I remember playing against Greg McKegg and poking the puck off of his stick a few times, made you feel good, until he dangled the shit out of you and skated by you like you were standing still. lol
I've played with and against Danny Richmond. Cup of coffee nothing NHLer with trash Blackhawk and Penguin teams. He made passes and received hand grenades like he was Wayne f***ing Gretzky. It's a different level of ability.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I have been applying some cream that is helping, but only seems to last for so long. The biggest pain has been waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to settle down because of it.
Mine would get all like open sores and full of puss and whatnot. Nasty stuff for me. Been about 15-20 years since I've stumbled into it, though. Knock on wood.

• Wow
Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Mine would get all like open sores and full of puss and whatnot. Nasty stuff for me. Been about 15-20 years since I've stumbled into it, though. Knock on wood.

It's amazing to me that we would walk through the same exact brush, and you'd be dying with it the next day, and I had nothing. I almost have to be immune to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad