OT: Anything Goes 41

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I got slew footed driving to the net and ended up landing on the guys skate. The blade went clean through my elbow pad and sliced my elbow up good.

There's playing hard, and then there are idiots. I try not to engage with those. And this was in a charity tournament.

Man, I miss really hockey. Where do you play?
Fifth Third. @Pez68 plays out of Fifth Third and Johnny's.

Reactions: BLKHKhockey

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Yeah, I've been slew footed pretty bad, the guy said it was on accident, yeah right. I guess I just keep giving it back and hope I don't come home with a black eye or something lol Maybe if I keep giving it back they will be less likely to do it. I don't know, I've just put up with it until last week, when I snapped. (didn't help I wasn't playing the greatest either lol)

I generally give guys the first one. If they keep it up with the stick work I'll give them a warning to knock it off, or I'm going to start hitting them. Then I'll start upping the physicality along the boards, and eventually just rub them out entirely. Slashing and tripping guys intentionally in pickup is garbage. I'd be pissed.

Another thing you can do is, if they are hooking you and sticking you is leave the puck, and just two-hand their stick. That tends to send a message. f*** em.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
IMG_6811.jpeg

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I generally give guys the first one. If they keep it up with the stick work I'll give them a warning to knock it off, or I'm going to start hitting them. Then I'll start upping the physicality along the boards, and eventually just rub them out entirely. Slashing and tripping guys intentionally in pickup is garbage. I'd be pissed.

Another thing you can do is, if they are hooking you and sticking you is leave the puck, and just two-hand their stick. That tends to send a message. f*** em.
Yeah, only problem is they love it when you get more physical and will just keep doing it. We all grew up playing competitive hockey, so it doesn't scare them off.

But yeah, maybe if I keep snapping on them they'll knock it off a bit, or I'll just join a different group of guys.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Yeah, our leagues are always a little chippy and physical, especially along the boards. Just no outright body checks allowed. And I'm fine with that. It's when some bender gets his little feefees hurt that the problems come in.
I have no problem with a little body contact in the corners/pushing each other fighting for the puck and what not with the people that like to do it. But I can't stand when people put their stick on me, or resort to cheap shot like slew foots or elbows.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Yeah, only problem is they love it when you get more physical and will just keep doing it. We all grew up playing competitive hockey, so it doesn't scare them off.

But yeah, maybe if I keep snapping on them they'll knock it off a bit, or I'll just join a different group of guys.
Break a guy's stick and then tell him why.

Or just find a different group to skate with. That doesn't happen at any of the higher level skates I've been in around here.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I have no problem with a little body contact in the corners/pushing each other fighting for the puck and what not with the people that like to do it. But I can't stand when people put their stick on me, or resort to cheap shot like slew foots or elbows.
Don't play beer league with guys that are throwing cheap shots and challenging you to fist fights. It's supposed to be fun. Don't let some psycho ruin your night. Gotta go to work in the morning.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Break a guy's stick and then tell him why.

Or just find a different group to skate with. That doesn't happen at any of the higher level skates I've been in around here.
The first bit is terrible advice. You're dealing with somebody who is unhinged. Costing them several hundred dollars isn't going to make anything better.

The second bit is the truth. If playing feels like a chore don't play.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Not sure where to put this, but wanted some perspective from other hockey players on this situation.

I play pick up (no body contact) with a bunch of random guys, half of them I consider to be "friends" now, the other half I get along with just don't know them well.

For the past 2-3 weeks, seems like every time I get the puck, I get hooked, slashed, tripped, held on to, etc. I have a feeling it's because I tend to score 3 or 4 goals every time we play and that's the only way they can slow me down.

It got to the point last week where I got completely sick of it. I know it's just for fun, and not to be taken serious, but at the same time I am a pretty competitive person who also tends to have a bit of a temper.

Near the end of the game, I deked out a guy, went around him and he hooked me to the point where I couldn't even skate forward. After dealing with this type of nonsense all game from multiple people, I came back around, and as the buzzer sounded kind of gave the guy a cheap shot from his blind side on the body (not the head) and he flew to the ground. He got pretty pissed off to the point he wanted to fight and I was pretty pissed off as well, but don't typically resort to fighting. After getting undressed, heads cooled, I went to his locker room, apologized, he accepted it, and apologized for hooking and all is good now.

Problem is, how do I deal with this moving forward? I'm sure guys know that if they do it, it gets under my skin, but that i'll give it back. I also don't want to keep having that type of hostility if I do give it back. I just want to play fair and square and score goals lol
Going back and reading everything through...

Dude hooked you. It's frustrating but it's painless. You blindsided the guy with a hit and knocked him on his ass. What if he tweaked something? If somebody slashes, trips or slew foots you go nuts. But that isn't what happened.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

Dude hooked you. It's frustrating but it's painless. You blindsided the guy with a hit and knocked him on his ass. What if he tweaked something? If somebody slashes, trips or slew foots you go nuts. But that isn't what happened.

Sounds like it was a culmination of slashing, tripping, and hooking, and he just had enough. I cannot stand stick work in f***ing men's league, so if a guy is slashing me, I have no issues breaking his stick in half. I've had two broken fingers in the last year from guys slashing me. It gets f***ing tiring. Most guys I play against are cool, but every league you play in has a couple of those assholes. They're typically not unhinged. They're just douchebags who think nobody will do shit to them in men's league.

I take a checking penalty or a cross checking penalty putting guys like that in place once or twice a season, and I've found it to be a perfect deterrent. If guys know you will blow them up, they are way less likely to swing their stick at you.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Guess you didn't read everything.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Sounds like it was a culmination of slashing, tripping, and hooking, and he just had enough. I cannot stand stick work in f***ing men's league, so if a guy is slashing me, I have no issues breaking his stick in half. I've had two broken fingers in the last year from guys slashing me. It gets f***ing tiring. Most guys I play against are cool, but every league you play in has a couple of those assholes. They're typically not unhinged. They're just douchebags who think nobody will do shit to them in men's league.

I take a checking penalty or a cross checking penalty putting guys like that in place once or twice a season, and I've found it to be a perfect deterrent. If guys know you will blow them up, they are way less likely to swing their stick at you.
Most of these guys are cool, they just think it's funny to commit penalties on me everytime I get the puck. We dont have refs or anything like that so there is no consequence for them doing it. That's what makes it more difficult.

But yeah. If it continues to piss me off I'll just go play with a different group of guys. Lots to choose from around here. But I do enjoy playing with these guys the majority of the time, it's just been getting out of control lately.

Reactions: Pez68

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Not sure where to put this, but wanted some perspective from other hockey players on this situation.

I play pick up (no body contact) with a bunch of random guys, half of them I consider to be "friends" now, the other half I get along with just don't know them well.

For the past 2-3 weeks, seems like every time I get the puck, I get hooked, slashed, tripped, held on to, etc. I have a feeling it's because I tend to score 3 or 4 goals every time we play and that's the only way they can slow me down.

It got to the point last week where I got completely sick of it. I know it's just for fun, and not to be taken serious, but at the same time I am a pretty competitive person who also tends to have a bit of a temper.

Near the end of the game, I deked out a guy, went around him and he hooked me to the point where I couldn't even skate forward. After dealing with this type of nonsense all game from multiple people, I came back around, and as the buzzer sounded kind of gave the guy a cheap shot from his blind side on the body (not the head) and he flew to the ground. He got pretty pissed off to the point he wanted to fight and I was pretty pissed off as well, but don't typically resort to fighting. After getting undressed, heads cooled, I went to his locker room, apologized, he accepted it, and apologized for hooking and all is good now.

Problem is, how do I deal with this moving forward? I'm sure guys know that if they do it, it gets under my skin, but that i'll give it back. I also don't want to keep having that type of hostility if I do give it back. I just want to play fair and square and score goals lol

What did I misread?

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
The 2 paragraphs before the one you bolded? And maybe the part where it was happening all game in the bolded part you quoted? lol
Dude hooked you. You admittedly bodied him in a manner you described as a cheap shot. I get it. I don't play anymore because I'm a hot head lunatic. I'm not judging you.

You take my feet out and I'll want to destroy you. You hold or hook me I'll be just as upset. The difference is one is my pride being hurt the other is my body.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Dude hooked you. You admittedly bodied him in a manner you described as a cheap shot. I get it. I don't play anymore because I'm a hot head lunatic. I'm not judging you.

You take my feet out and I'll want to destroy you. You hold or hook me I'll be just as upset. The difference is one is my pride being hurt the other is my body.
Are you still missing it?

"For the past 2-3 weeks, seems like every time I get the puck, I get hooked, slashed, tripped, held on to, etc. I have a feeling it's because I tend to score 3 or 4 goals every time we play and that's the only way they can slow me down."

It wasn't just the hook. This same guy, hooked me the last time I dangled him, his teammate slashed me on the hands on the same play, 2 plays before that another one of their teammates just held on to my stick as I was trying to skate away with the puck. And hooking isn't completely painless when the stick is above your hockey pants and in your stomach/mid section.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Most of these guys are cool, they just think it's funny to commit penalties on me everytime I get the puck. We dont have refs or anything like that so there is no consequence for them doing it. That's what makes it more difficult.

But yeah. If it continues to piss me off I'll just go play with a different group of guys. Lots to choose from around here. But I do enjoy playing with these guys the majority of the time, it's just been getting out of control lately.
Find a new group. Shouldn't be happening in pickup.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Are you still missing it?

"For the past 2-3 weeks, seems like every time I get the puck, I get hooked, slashed, tripped, held on to, etc. I have a feeling it's because I tend to score 3 or 4 goals every time we play and that's the only way they can slow me down."

It wasn't just the hook. This same guy, hooked me the last time I dangled him, his teammate slashed me on the hands on the same play, 2 plays before that another one of their teammates just held on to my stick as I was trying to skate away with the puck. And hooking isn't completely painless when the stick is above your hockey pants and in your stomach/mid section.
I didn't read it as the same guy hooking you and hurting you. You shouldn't be playing with benders like that.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I'm an above average C+ player that's 6'1 and 215. I've had my share of hot head psycho moments.
I don't know what C+ is, but you're about the same size as me.

I chose high school hockey over Jr B when I was young because I couldn't stand Jr hockey and how they played back then, and knew I wasn't going anywhere, so no point in getting hurt over it. Ended up shattering my leg in half after playing 1 high school hockey game, so that was it for competitive hockey for me.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
It wasn't the same guy every time, but he did it multiple times and the cumulative effect of everyone doing it got me pissed and I raged.
I lost my shit the other night. Late game, lazy f***ing asshole ref. Other team was a bunch of plugs, and just hooking and slashing the entire game. I'm skating the puck out of our zone, walk a guy, and am about to blow past another guy for a breakaway. A two-hander comes right over the top onto my forearm, drops my bottom hand off the stick, numbs my f***ing hand, and I lose the puck. Look back, no call from the ref. I two-handed this guy about as hard as I've ever two-handed a guy, right on his calf. He dropped like a ton of bricks. Still no call.... I can't f***ing stand that kind of hockey, and most of the time, it's lazy ass refs not calling shit that causes it. You call the first couple of those in the game, and guys stop it right away.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I lost my shit the other night. Late game, lazy f***ing asshole ref. Other team was a bunch of plugs, and just hooking and slashing the entire game. I'm skating the puck out of our zone, walk a guy, and am about to blow past another guy for a breakaway. A two-hander comes right over the top onto my forearm, drops my bottom hand off the stick, numbs my f***ing hand, and I lose the puck. Look back, no call from the ref. I two-handed this guy about as hard as I've ever two-handed a guy, right on his calf. He dropped like a ton of bricks. Still no call.... I can't f***ing stand that kind of hockey, and most of the time, it's lazy ass refs not calling shit that causes it. You call the first couple of those in the game, and guys stop it right away.
This is every reason why I don't play anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad