Value of: Any bad contract with 3 years term or less to the Blackhawks.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Oh thank god, thank you chicago, we will send you campbell right now. No need to thank us.

Animull

May 12, 2023
Who has a player that they need to dump onto the Blackhawks with their #1 DP attached to it?
Cmon now…
We’ll wait. lol

Nick Backstrom can mentor Bedard for two years. At $9.2/year he’ll be very helpful in getting you to the floor.

Maybe the Blackhawks retain at this or next year’s deadline and trade him to a team wanting veteran center depth.
which draft pick you stapling to this deal?
Lets talk.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't see why Chicago would take him unless you were adding a sweetener. To Chicago he's a capdump. To other teams, they may offer a similar unproductive overpaid player as long as it fills a roster hole.
You could say the same about any player in the league if Chicago is content with being a punching bag for the rest of the league again next year. If they're ready to start building a competitive team around Bedard, they need to get away from looking at every player like a cap dump.

That said, if they are looking for bigger or stronger players, I understand the hesitation. 20 goal scorers, even small ones, aren't always on the market for next to nothing though.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You could say the same about any player in the league if Chicago is content with being a punching bag for the rest of the league again next year. If they're ready to start building a competitive team around Bedard, they need to get away from looking at every player like a cap dump.

That said, if they are looking for bigger or stronger players, I understand the hesitation. 20 goal scorers, even small ones, aren't always on the market for next to nothing though.
Taking on yams doesn’t move the needle for Chi. They still would be a punching bag. Yams is an overpaid 3rd line forward. Chicago would want a sweetener for that contract.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think Chicago should instead of trading for bad contracts to get more draft picks should be trading for good players that other teams just can't afford. Bedard being given a chance to win games and play with real NHL players is a much smarter move than trying to pick up some more 2nd and 3rd round picks.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
The Chicago Blackhawks are currently slated to have 41 million in cap space for 2023-2024, and a frankly hilarious 71.6 million in cap space for 2024-2025.

The 2023 free agent class is the poops, and there’s no better way to undermine a rebuild than making some long-term ufa signing on a guy who happened to the best of a bad selection. Most of GMKD’s comments suggest he recognizes this.

So the Blackhawks are gonna need bodies, just to hit the floor. And we still want picks and prospects.

List the contracts you’d like to move and the sweetener(s) you think would get it done.
Yamamoto and a 4th rounder. He isnt bad. Just 1 million to much in a tight capped team.

I think Chicago should instead of trading for bad contracts to get more draft picks should be trading for good players that other teams just can't afford. Bedard being given a chance to win games and play with real NHL players is a much smarter move than trying to pick up some more 2nd and 3rd round picks.
Exactly. Taking on bad contracts is Arizonas job.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
This would be an exciting team for any GM to try and build. It's essentially like starting an expansion team except you got Bedard, Jones, Murphy and a bunch of prospects to start off with. After that you got a few contracts that expire after next season.

I'd like to see Kane and Toews come back on short deals then fill the rest of the roster with UFA's or players with under 3 year terms coming back with assets attached.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
This would be an exciting team for any GM to try and build. It's essentially like starting an expansion team except you got Bedard, Jones, Murphy and a bunch of prospects to start off with. After that you got a few contracts that expire after next season.

I'd like to see Kane and Toews come back on short deals then fill the rest of the roster with UFA's or players with under 3 year terms coming back with assets attached.
Kane and Toews have already been told they will not be offered contracts.
It’s time to move on.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Why can’t it be both?
Please understand that good but overpaid players will still have a cost to move them because so many teams are tight to the cap.

In many of the scenarios posters are offering a 2nd, 3rd or 4th move someone.
I don’t think that works for Chicago. The Hawks have 4 2nds and 2 3rds in this draft.

I’m thinking in many of these scenarios Chicago adds a 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounder to the dumping team for a 1st in return. Much like the Mrazek trade last year and the Murray proposal above. Because of the tighter cap the fall back will be more than 8 picks but the dumping team still gets something useable in return.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Another reason for Chicago to try to spin their cap space into trying to get good fast is that Auston Matthews could hit UFA and Chicago would be one of the more, if not most, attractive places for him to go.

Crosby made the playoffs his second year and the Cup Final in his third. Why Chicago wouldn’t try to duplicate that success sounds insane to me.

cmich72234

May 11, 2023
Another reason for Chicago to try to spin their cap space into trying to get good fast is that Auston Matthews could hit UFA and Chicago would be one of the more, if not most, attractive places for him to go.

Crosby made the playoffs his second year and the Cup Final in his third. Why Chicago wouldn’t try to duplicate that success sounds insane to me.

The Hawks are is a different position than the Pens were. The cupboard is pretty bare for Chicago right now. They need to do it slow/right.

Reactions: Drumman44

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The Hawks are is a different position than the Pens were. The cupboard is pretty bare for Chicago right now. They need to do it slow/right.

There is just such an opportunity for them with so many cap strapped teams to get good players for pennies on the dollar before the cap goes up and players become more expensive and harder to get. Not saying the blow all their draft capital, but I don’t think they need to add more picks either. You can only break in so many kids at once and develop a professional culture instead of a bunch of spoiled OHL kids that just get used to losing.

Reactions: hawksfan1979

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
That’s funny. I was worried it was awful for Boston. Three prospects that might never make it for three guys in their mid 20’s that are playing first line/starter minutes.

But I did say it was crazy and never would happen anyway.
The 3 hawks prospects that might never make it? Rated 3rd, 6th and 9th best prospects on a team with the 5th best prospects.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The 3 hawks prospects that might never make it? Rated 3rd, 6th and 9th best prospects on a team with the 5th best prospects.

I mean that’s how prospects work.

The first time the Athletic did their org rankings was back in 2018, which I think is far back enough to get a pretty good feel on if those players are going to work out.

The number 5 team that year was the New York Islanders.

1. Oliver Wahlstrom, RW, USNTDP-USHL

2. Noah Dobson, D, Acadie-Bathurst-QMJHL

3. Kieffer Bellows, LW, Portland-WHL

4. Ruslan Iskhakov, RW, CSKA-MHL

5. Bode Wilde, D, USNTDP

6. Josh Ho-Sang, RW, Bridgeport-AHL

7. Ilya Sorokin, G, CSKA-KHL

8. Sebastian Aho, D, Bridgeport-AHL

9. Devon Toews, D, Bridgeport-AHL

10. Mitchell Vande Sompel, D, Bridgeport-AHL

Three impact NHLers out of 10 prospects. A couple of borderline guys. Only one in the top 6! A lot of “who the f*** is that?”.

If one of those three Chicago prospects made it that would be way way way closer to par than if all of them did.

Reactions: ello

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Cupboard isn’t bare in terms of prospects. Current roster? Sure. But they have a top 10 prospect system with out Bedard, 19 and two more 1s next year.

I agree it’ll take a few more years than it did the Pens, but I wouldn’t say the cupboard is bare.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019

The first time the Athletic did their org rankings was back in 2018, which I think is far back enough to get a pretty good feel on if those players are going to work out.

5. Bode Wilde, D, USNTDP

Three impact NHLers out of 10 prospects. A couple of borderline guys. Only one in the top 6! A lot of “who the f*** is that?”.

If one of those three Chicago prospects made it that would be way way way closer to par than if all of them did.
Yep. They all won’t make it. But I do think they have some guys that have a high ceiling and fairly safe floor.

Nazar will be at worst a 3rd line scoring depth guy. Korchinski has PP1 written all over him. Reichel looked really good in his limited nhl games. Vlasic and Del Mastro both have potential to be really good shutdown guys.

They’ll miss on some for sure, but I think they have some safe guys too.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida

5. Bode Wilde, D, USNTDP

So you would have moved Dobson, Sorokin and Aho out for guys who while good don’t really help with the primary objective due to age/timeline?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad