Player Discussion Anton Forsberg

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Mcl injuries are not nearly the same as ACL injuries
As a two time veteran of the torn ACL wars, can confirm. MCL injuries are just your classic "sprained knee". They hurt like heck, (more than the torn ACL, weirdly enough) but, like a sprained ankle, wrist, etc., it's going to heal on its own. Once they determined no surgery was required, I knew that he would be OK sooner or later.

Former Sen Chris Driedger tore his ACL last May at the Worlds. It took him nine months to get back, and just recently he started playing games again for the Kraken's AHL team. It's actually remarkable that he is back in just nine months in a position as unforgiving as goal...

Reactions: bert

SokoLove

Jul 26, 2023
He's been walking his dog quite a bit and he was in April too. I have torn both my MCL's I was back playing 6 weeks later. I would be absolutely floored if he isnt fully participating in skates at this point.
I saw Anton practice last week at the Sensplex, he looked pretty good.
He was practicing the RVH and glides with 2 shooters.
The next day, I saw him practice skating drills on his own.

Last edited:

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
He's been walking his dog quite a bit and he was in April too. I have torn both my MCL's I was back playing 6 weeks later. I would be absolutely floored if he isnt fully participating in skates at this point.
Hey Bert,

how do they repair MCLs? Is it re-attach the existing one, or do they use different ligaments?

what did they do in your case?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Obviously I'm not a doctor or had knee injuries.

But how does one recover from 2 MCL tears and be 100% within 6 months? Seems crazy to me. I hope hes not rushing back.

Ah good to know. I figured it would be a gruesome recovery on both knees. Modern medicine or maybe I dont understand MCL recovery well.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

But how does one recover from 2 MCL tears and be 100% within 6 months? Seems crazy to me. I hope hes not rushing back.
Depends on the grade of the tears. Mild tears can heal in a week,

Heck, here's what he said in the latest Athletic article linked above

“I’ve been back to 100 percent for a long time,” Forsberg says. “I would have been back last year if we made the playoffs.”

Reactions: FlameChampion

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Ah good to know. I figured it would be a gruesome recovery on both knees. Modern medicine or maybe I dont understand MCL recovery well.
He never had surgery, and recovery time for MCL isn't very long. 6 months is more than enough time for even severe grade MCL injuries to be back at 100%, especially for professional athletes.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Ya if it hadn't been both at the same time, nobody would be concerned at this point and really, if one can heal/be repaired easily, no reason both can't.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa

I tore my MCL so bad it pulled out of the bone (avulsion fracture). No surgery. Healed up fine in a few months. I was actually really lucky that I didn't damage the ACL. It was a fluke injury. I literally just went into the corner to get the puck and caught a rut in the ice. Didn't even fall down. Just sort of went "oh that's not good" and skated back to the bench and went home. Lol

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He never had surgery, and recovery time for MCL isn't very long. 6 months is more than enough time for even severe grade MCL injuries to be back at 100%, especially for professional athletes.
I had a complete grade 3 tear and was playing with a knee brace in 8 weeks.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I had a complete grade 3 tear and was playing with a knee brace in 8 weeks.
Yup. Mcl injuries are relatively minor. I've seen guys play thru lesser tears with a knee brace

ACL on the other hand can be nasty. Some never recover from it. I still play hockey thanks to Don Joy but I've not played a racket sport since i blew my knee and I'll never play again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad