Confirmed with Link: Andy Greene Contract Extension (Five years, $5 million per)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Our best goal scorer last season was 24 years old...just to keep the record straight.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I heard similar things last season. They essentially kept their own players. The best offensive players on the team are over 40 and close to 40. I'd say B-, thanks to a really unsightly draft. People are acting like he just revamped the entire system and brought in 3 or 4 25 year old dynamos. This team's flawed structure wasn't magically fixed in the offseason. We can still lose with Greene and Schneider. ROFL It was done last year.

Your viewpoint on how this team should be run is bizarre. What would you have expected Lou to do differently last year and this year? He has done more than enough to make this team competitive right now. What 25 year old dynamos should he have acquired? In what world is the draft relative to the offseason for Lou? We're talking about the 30th overall pick (who looked very good in camp by the way) and a bunch of players that we're more than likely not going to see for several years.

I'd love to hear what you would've expected to be done. Tell me, what trades would you have made? Keep in mind, they would need to be reasonable. It takes two to make a trade.

This coming from the "Zajac flat out sucks" guy, by the way.

For the record to keep this on topic, this is an absolute steal of a deal.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Your viewpoint on how this team should be run is bizarre. What would you have expected Lou to do differently last year and this year? He has done more than enough to make this team competitive right now. What 25 year old dynamos should he have acquired? In what world is the draft relative to the offseason for Lou? We're talking about the 30th overall pick (who looked very good in camp by the way) and a bunch of players that we're more than likely not going to see for several years.

I'd love to hear what you would've expected to be done. Tell me, what trades would you have made? Keep in mind, they would need to be reasonable. It takes two to make a trade.

This coming from the "Zajac flat out sucks" guy, by the way.

For the record to keep this on topic, this is an absolute steal of a deal.

The damage has been done years earlier. There isn't much you can do. You just hope to not double down on earlier mistakes. And all the UFAs in the world aren't going to correct the mistakes of the past. Last year was proof positive of that.

BTW The Greene deal is excellent but I would hold off on parade plans anytime soon.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The damage has been done years earlier. There isn't much you can do. You just hope to not double down on earlier mistakes. And all the UFAs in the world aren't going to correct the mistakes of the past. Last year was proof positive of that.

BTW The Greene deal is excellent but I would hold off on parade plans anytime soon.

Damage was done years earlier? When was that? When the devils were going to the finals 3 out of 4 years and putting together 45+ win 100+ point seasons every year for a decade and never picking above 20?

I want more of that damage!!!!

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

This still doesn't answer my question. What would you have done in Lou's shoes when you lose your top two goal scorers two consecutive summers in a row? What reasonable moves would you have made? And what consistent mistakes has this team made financially that are still affecting them right now?

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Lou gets an A this offseason. I would have loved Carter over Bernier, but that's nitpicking.

Greene is so important for our defense!!!! I'm very happy!

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
This still doesn't answer my question. What would you have done in Lou's shoes when you lose your top two goal scorers two consecutive summers in a row? What reasonable moves would you have made? And what consistent mistakes has this team made financially that are still affecting them right now?

I would have groomed their replacements within the system, much like an assembly line. Like I said, the damage was done between 2005 and now. I wouldn't have been tied to the whims of Zach Parise or Ilya Kovalchuk.

Smart GMs don't put their eggs all in one basket. They have a plan B or even C. ;) That's why I laugh uncontrollably when Lou is given the excuse that he lost his two top players, when it's happened in the past (holik, gomez, neidermayer). To use an analogy, your house burns down in the past, and then when you rebuild, you don't install a fire alarm system. That's how I view Lou's recent reign when dealing with personnel.

As far as moves made to mitigate the lost talent, I would have looked for expendable, younger forwards from talent rich organizations. Obviously, deals are difficult to finalize but you try to improve with a low profile move. There isn't a single bullet that is going remedy numerous lost drafts. That's just not realistic.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Some people are just never happy with anything. Rather than being happy with the Greene signing, let's ***** some more about the past.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This is the Andy Greene re-signing thread. Not the place for Tundra's childish pouting about everything Devils related. Shut up

Quoted for truth.

There's a couple people who feel the need to be negative about every single move that is made. There's is nothing negative about locking up our best defenseman to a 5 year contract at a very fair price.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
This is a fantastic deal. All around great in every aspects. I actually thought Greene was going to get closer to 6M or extra years at around 5.

Greene will no doubt help out whatever young dman his partner is.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
This is a fantastic deal. All around great in every aspects. I actually thought Greene was going to get closer to 6M or extra years at around 5.

Greene will no doubt help out whatever young dman his partner is.

Completely agree. It will be interesting to see who he pairs up with this year. Merrill and Larsson would likely be the front-runners.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Back to the deal, Greene absolutely did us a solid here. Only 5 million per year for a guy who brings what he brings is fantastic. Glad to keep such a loyal soldier for hopefully the rest of his career.

devilsrock

Sep 14, 2005
Great Neck, NY
This has been a great offseason so far. I don't understand how anyone could be negative!
If you want to **** on Lou go ahead but keep in mind this is the same GM that build 3 Stanley cup championship teams 5 times eastern conference champions and always kept this team competitive.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
This is the second best deal after Henrique's....remember when "He should've gotten a bridge deal"....that was before he led the team in goals this season. ;)

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Listened to the conference call and Lou trolling the reporters about kovalchuk was great

Someone brought up Kovalchuks contract and Lou goes "who are we talking about, I don't know who you are speaking about."

Then someone says does these extension eliminate the bad taste that kovalchuk left and lou says " I had a great lunch so I have a pretty good taste in my mouth"

Classic lou

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah anyone that listened to that and still thinks Kovalchuk's coming back any day now (and/or there was some mutual conspiracy in him leaving when he did) must think Lou's a stand-up comedian.

Wouldn't shock me if it was Chere bringing it up too lol...I'd have to listen to it again.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
I don't think there is really any other way than that.

This has been reminiscent of the organization when we had loads of defensive prospects and developed the best ones and traded the others for forwards and won cups. The devils have begun the rebuild and right in the middle of it gave us a cup run can't complain. This team is on it's way back up. Maybe another 2 years before they r elite again but on the right track to push for playoffs now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad