Player Discussion Andrew Peeke

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Sure not solely responsible, many factors. However he had the worst +/- in the nhl in 22/23. Not only worst on his team but the entire nhl.

He was one of those shitty teammates. Legitimate case for him being among the worst regular players in the NHL that year.
How many times did he kick your dog, christ:laugh:. The one thing the B's are pretty careful about is who they bring into the locker room at the TDL.
I get it you don't like the player, but it seems personal to call him a sh*tty team mate. Maybe it was a sh*tty team, coach, management group(that got rid of all their good players or let them walk) and he felt like his career was going to die if he stayed(mental health the silent career killer). The kids 26, that's a kid by today standard for kids getting their shit together. You should feel lucky if you never had a sh*tty boss.
I respect everyone opinion even if I don't agree, but this take stinks of some other agenda.
I'll give the kid a full camp and first half before the torches and pitchforks come out. He wouldn't be the 1st kid to rescue his career by leaving his drafting team.

By the way The Uncle Rico in Napoleon Dynamite, well anyone that's seen the movie knows where this is going, arguable the worst character in the entire move.:laugh:

Peace brother and have great night.

Reactions: Gordoff

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
I don’t think people have a problem with Peeke, they have a problem with the trade. Columbus fans we’re doing flips when they learned all they had to do was take on Zboril’s contract in order to get out from under Peeke’s negative value contract and somehow they got a future 3rd out of the deal which delighted and perplexed them.
In this offseason alone, Lyubushkin 3x3.25, Jokiharju 1x3.1, Dumba 2x3.75, Myers 3x3.0. Here's those player cards everyone here loves. Which of these other right handed defensemen is a better value? (not to pick on you but this keeps coming up)

1720571247533.jpeg1720571338929.jpeg1720571371868.jpeg1720571819156.jpeg

Last edited:

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I don’t think people have a problem with Peeke, they have a problem with the trade. Columbus fans we’re doing flips when they learned all they had to do was take on Zboril’s contract in order to get out from under Peeke’s negative value contract and somehow they got a future 3rd out of the deal which delighted and perplexed them.

Nailed it.

It would’ve been like if another team took Beleskey/Backes/Moore off our hands and gave us a 2nd round pick for our troubles.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
People talking about Peeke's negative value contract, overpayment, etc gives me hope that Korpisalo becomes a good goalie again

Rather have Bussi and his league minimum but Peeke is worth his contract so hopefully Korpisalo will be as well.
I’m ok with the decision to ice a 8-9 mil third pairing if we fee this is needed to beat the Panthers. I think it’ll be Peeke and Lindholm honestly and Zadorov plays with McAvoy. They themselves tie up 15 mil in net with Knight as backup which makes me OK with Korpisalo.

We lost to the Islanders when our garbage 4th line seemed to give up a PP or goal every shift and their 4th line cost around 10 mil that series.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
How many times did he kick your dog, christ:laugh:. The one thing the B's are pretty careful about is who they bring into the locker room at the TDL.
I get it you don't like the player, but it seems personal to call him a sh*tty team mate. Maybe it was a sh*tty team, coach, management group(that got rid of all their good players or let them walk) and he felt like his career was going to die if he stayed(mental health the silent career killer). The kids 26, that's a kid by today standard for kids getting their shit together. You should feel lucky if you never had a sh*tty boss.
I respect everyone opinion even if I don't agree, but this take stinks of some other agenda.
I'll give the kid a full camp and first half before the torches and pitchforks come out. He wouldn't be the 1st kid to rescue his career by leaving his drafting team.

By the way The Uncle Rico in Napoleon Dynamite, well anyone that's seen the movie knows where this is going, arguable the worst character in the entire move.:laugh:

Peace brother and have great night.

wtf are you talking about dude?

You called his teammates shitty I was just throwing your verbiage back at you. I’m not calling him a shitty person. Talking about his play because that’s what you used to call his teammates.

Reactions: Kegs

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I’m ok with the decision to ice a 8-9 mil third pairing if we fee this is needed to beat the Panthers. I think it’ll be Peeke and Lindholm honestly and Zadorov plays with McAvoy. They themselves tie up 15 mil in net with Knight as backup which makes me OK with Korpisalo.

We lost to the Islanders when our garbage 4th line seemed to give up a PP or goal every shift and their 4th line cost around 10 mil that series.
Think we'll be looking at
Zadorov McAvoy 14.5 mil
Lindholm Carlo 10.6 mil
Lorhei Peeke 3.675 mil

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
wtf are you talking about dude?

You called his teammates shitty I was just throwing your verbiage back at you. I’m not calling him a shitty person
My mistake, apologies, that's how it came off to me. The quality of that CBS team was awful from the head down. Anyone that played on those teams should be judged of what that do with their next chance. Judgement reserved till the 1/2 way mark of the season on him, from me, it's only fair.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
This place until September:

How much Swayman should be paid

Arrrgh, Korpisalo is paid to much for a back-up

Arrrgh, Peeke is paid to much for the 3rd pair

What players should the Bruins target for PTOs

Will Lysell make the team and what line should be be on
When the team has massively obvious holes in the top 6, overpaying for luxuries like a back up goalie and a 3rd pairing dman are fair criticisms, no?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
The mental gymnastics being done here to avoid being honest that the guy is overpaid for his role is astounding.

I've always felt positions like a 3rd pairing dman and a backup goalie can be filled by whatever for the most part when your roster is in the position the Bruins is right now. There's always players looking to sign a 1 year bounce back contract after coming off a bad year for near minimum. That's how I would fill an open 3rd pairing D spot when I am routinely near the cap ceiling. Same with a backup goalie. A 3rd pairing dman and a backup goalie shouldn't be the difference between making the playoffs and missing them.

Keep the cap open so you can be flexible for whatever UFAs are available. You also never know who may pop up on the trade block during the offseason/midseason. I'd hate to miss out on a top 6 guy because I have a couple million too much tied up in depth.

If your team is buzzing along but you want a better backup/3rd pair for the playoffs then you spend at the trade deadline once you are sure you can't upgrade your top 6 anymore.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
The mental gymnastics being done here to avoid being honest that the guy is overpaid for his role is astounding.
Gymnastics like... what comparable players are paid. Literally the only measure we have.

There are 74 right handed defensemen signed to standard one way contracts in the NHL who played at least 38 games. 58 of them make 2.5m or more. That is basically the floor if you're right handed and have played 2 full seasons in the league recently. The rest are either just breaking in, soon to be leaving, or are part time players.

You can prefer to have one of those fringe players playing with Lohrei so you can spend 2 million on whatever but they're not at all comparable to Peeke and it doesn't make the team better. The playoffs are a war of attrition on defensemen, Dallas couldn't overcome having to hide Alex Petrovic after losing only two guys. You want to start out with a Petrovic in the lineup from day one, good luck with that.

They got Peeke because he was Zach Werenski's personal safety net in Columbus playing 21+ minutes a game for two seasons, they want him to be that for Lohrei, and they want the insurance behind Carlo. Nobody gives them any of that for even 1 million less.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I’ve been watching Peeke for several years now and this “worst player in the NHL” shit is total nonsense.

Not only is he not a fringe NHLer, he’s not even a typical third-pair plug. Peeke is a guy with the ability to play top four minutes and he’s signed for a song at $2.75M.

I know some will think I’m nuts with this assessment, but I’ve been a fan of his for a while. His start in Boston (and his whole year last year, honestly) has not been… inspiring. He wasn’t BAD after the trade, but he also wasn’t the player I know he can be - the player I’ve watched. I understand why some are hesitant.

If I’m wrong on him this year, I will have no problem owning that. But I’m confident I’m right. If he plays to his ability this year, he’s going to have a lot of fans around here.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
The Peeke talk got real quiet when he came into the lineup and played well. It picked up again when had some trouble handling the puck after a puck broke his hand in game 2 vs the Leafs. I expect it will be very quiet again on October 8.
I hope you’re right. Thankfully he should have Lohrei w him to handle the puck

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
People talking about Peeke's negative value contract, overpayment, etc gives me hope that Korpisalo becomes a good goalie again

Rather have Bussi and his league minimum but Peeke is worth his contract so hopefully Korpisalo will be as well.
How is Peeke worth his contract? He’s another overpaid 6 in a never ending supply of bruins overpaid 6s until he shows he’s worth almost 3 mil per year. Playing ok as a 6 won’t make him worth it.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
When the team has massively obvious holes in the top 6, overpaying for luxuries like a back up goalie and a 3rd pairing dman are fair criticisms, no?

That depends on your viewpoint of those roles. If you don't place much value in your 2nd goaltender playing 30+ games a year, or your physical 6th D-man playing 16-17 mins a night, than sure it's a fair criticism.

But if you do put value in those two roles, neither Peeke nor Korpisalo are overpaid and are being paid what the market value is for most players in those same roles.

It comes down to how you want to build your team. Some fans want top-heavy, others want the cap dollars spread around more. It's an debate that can go in circles because there is no right answer. Personally I think this concept that you can have your 6th D and back-up G making 775k each or both guys on ELCs is a bit of a pie-in-the-sky concept and not really based on the realities of the NHL talent marketplace. Sure it would be nice, but outside of terrific drafting, probably not realistic year-upon-year.

I think in both cases (Peeke and Korpisalo) they are projects that the Bruins FO feel they can revitalize in their system with their coaching. And if that ends up being true, both players will have trade value and can be moved later on. There is a gamble here but too early to say if it will pay off.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I thought the team looked more than 2.75 mil better when he was on the roster than before. He looked like the right piece for the puzzle.

Last edited:

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Every team has at least one hole in their roster going into the season. Some of it is by design. BOS is now the heaviest team in the league. The prospect of being dominant on D and in net is probably worth it as long as they address offense between now and the post season.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I’ve been watching Peeke for several years now and this “worst player in the NHL” shit is total nonsense.

Not only is he not a fringe NHLer, he’s not even a typical third-pair plug. Peeke is a guy with the ability to play top four minutes and he’s signed for a song at $2.75M.

I know some will think I’m nuts with this assessment, but I’ve been a fan of his for a while. His start in Boston (and his whole year last year, honestly) has not been… inspiring. He wasn’t BAD after the trade, but he also wasn’t the player I know he can be - the player I’ve watched. I understand why some are hesitant.

If I’m wrong on him this year, I will have no problem owning that. But I’m confident I’m right. If he plays to his ability this year, he’s going to have a lot of fans around here.
I am with you, he is 26 years old and was a need at the deadline, not on of Sweeneys worst moves. I know that many feel his contract is a overpayment, but I think he was an upgrade over what they had at the time. Fans wanted someone to be more physical and not being bumped off the puck consistently, I thought, his effort was there, and his contract is a helluva better than Gryz and Forbort.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston

Great post 100% agree but then again who else can we tear apart now that Griz is gone.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
ok, all the pro Peeke and pro Korpi deals, don't bitch if one of the kids don't shine in a top 6 role if not filled with a PTO when its a black hole all year.

If it's not, still doesn't change the fact these two are overpaid luxuries.

I mean Peeke's ceiling is #6 defenseman. Same as Forborts.

Hoping for the best. He won't be a liability but won't do anything a million dollar guy couldn't do in this system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad