Player Discussion Andrew Peeke

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
No?

When he left the lineup we were instantly worse. When he came back we were much better.

No clue where that statement comes from. I liked his game.

By what measure were they much worse? They had a better record against Toronto and florida in the playoffs without him.

And as @drquincy said he was these in the following categories among 9 defenders.

Was the 2nd worst of the D in the playoffs in CF%, FF%, and xGF%

Lowest Shots taken/60 of all the D
2nd Lowest in Hits per 60
3rd lowest of the 9 D in shots blocked/60

Of course short sample size but I’d love to hear how we were much better with him.

Reactions: False Start

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
You take his money and the money they’re eating with the Korpisalo contract and that would make a real decent winger to plug into the top 6. But hey, it’s totally worth the flier, right?

Like who?

I don't see much left in terms of UFA that are real decent top 6 wingers.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
He was fine before the injury and doing what you want out of a third pairing guy. I liked his ability to help clear the crease and be tough to play against along the walls and around the net. Generally made good decisions with the puck. I thought when he came back, he wasn't the same and probably came back too soon. Jury is still out on him but I think there's a lot to like about Peeke and if continues to get his game on track ( remember, he was looking like a top 4 RHD before he fell out of favor in CBUS ) Bruins right side D will continue to be all set for awhile.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Ah, the new enemy of the speed and skill crowd. Peeke played very well and I am looking forward to a full season with him in Boston. They can pair him with Lohrei for about 10:00-12:00 minutes a night at 5 on 5 and then use Peeke on the PK and Lohrei on the PP. Works out well, rests McAvoy. In 15 games he had 44 hits and was plus 1. He'll be just fine as a bottom pair D.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Ah, the new enemy of the speed and skill crowd. Peeke played very well and I am looking forward to a full season with him in Boston. They can pair him with Lohrei for about 10:00-12:00 minutes a night at 5 on 5 and then use Peeke on the PK and Lohrei on the PP. Works out well, rests McAvoy. In 15 games he had 44 hits and was plus 1. He'll be just fine as a bottom pair D.

In 15 games.

And he got hurt.

Jury is still out.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
In 15 games.

And he got hurt.

Jury is still out.

Yes it is fair to say the jury is still out. Peeke had limited time in the system, and did so in what was the worst year of his career. The hope is that he can return to the player he was developing into before everything went awry . He got that bridge contract because he earned it and played exceptionally well. Put him into the boston system with better coaching, and a better system, he might return to the point where the contract is a good deal.

Of course this hasn't happened yet, so it is all a bit of speculation and hope. We will see how it works out in the fall when he has a full camp and preseason in the system

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
In 15 games.

And he got hurt.

Jury is still out.

For many, the jury has already made a decision...

What's interesting to me is while CBJ fans were doing backflips and many BOS fans were flaming Sweeney when the deal was made. the moment Peeke took the ice with Boston and showed he could skate with them...everything quieted down.

RHD who can skate, lay the body and clear the net have a lot of value around the league. He's only 26 - three years younger than Lyubushkin (talk about an overpaid replacement level player....OMG).

I want to see a full season of Peeke. I want to see how he performs on the PK. I want to see how he plays higher in the line-up when injuries strike.

I was a big Kevan Miller fan. Peeke gives me a bit of Miller vibe.

So far, I like Andrew Peeke.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
If you base your entire perception on the last three to four pages of this thread (like me) it would seem somewhat accurate. Haha. ;)

I think much of the negative opinion is tied to the term and cap hit that followed with him in the trade and the rumors he was heading for buyout anyway.

He fills much of the void that Connor Clifton left as the 3rd pair RHD a year ago. He's probably better suited to solidify that pairing with a rookie like Lohrei. Previous two seasons in Columbus he was playing 21+ minutes/game. Boston is a great place for a defenseman like him to get back on track after it went off the rails pretty hard. He was good to very good in that role during his short stint last season.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

I am far from the speed and skill crowd. He’s just a dime a dozen JAG who’s getting paid far more than he’s worth. He’s a vet minimum player who would have been bought out by CBJ.

• Haha
Reactions: Son of Donegal

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I am far from the speed and skill crowd. He’s just a dime a dozen JAG who’s getting paid far more than he’s worth. He’s a vet minimum player who would have been bought out by CBJ.

He played well his first couple years on a mediocre team. In 22/23 it became an awful team, guys like Kuraly, and Gadreau put up awful +/- as did Peeke. he consistently did put up huge numbers of hits and blocks. They hired a new coach last season and Peeke was the whipping boy.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
He played well his first couple years on a mediocre team. In 22/23 it became an awful team, guys like Kuraly, and Gadreau put up awful +/- as did Peeke. he consistently did put up huge numbers of hits and blocks. They hired a new coach last season and Peeke was the whipping boy.

Which “couple” of season did he play well. His first full season was 21/22 2nd worst +/- among D on his team. His 2nd full season he was worst +/- on his tram was an NHL worst -41. His third full season he was a majority healthy scratch on one of the leagues worst teams. Could barely even get on the ice.

Last edited:
Reactions: LSCII

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Bruins fans love to complain about s***. Most Bruins fans think he’s a solid third pair. Our defense got worse when he got injured last year and many fans were hoping he’d come back as fast as possible.
I am in with Peake, there are some out there who need to bitch or their day is not complete.

Reactions: BMC and Mad-Marcus

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

If Boston didn't take him and CBJ bought him out, I would guess he would have been signing a 2 year 1-1.5mish aav this offseason to rebuild his value.

Reactions: LSCII

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I am in with Peake, there are some out there who need to bitch or their day is not complete.

This place until September:

How much Swayman should be paid

Arrrgh, Korpisalo is paid to much for a back-up

Arrrgh, Peeke is paid to much for the 3rd pair

What players should the Bruins target for PTOs

Will Lysell make the team and what line should be be on

Reactions: Gordoff

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
If Boston didn't take him and CBJ bought him out, I would guess he would have been signing a 2 year 1-1.5mish aav this offseason to rebuild his value.

Probably, I’m curious if it would even have been that. Boqvist who beat him out in Columbus before ultimately getting bought out himself, got $800k.

I’m not sure peeke would have got any more.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
This place until September:

How much Swayman should be paid

Arrrgh, Korpisalo is paid to much for a back-up

Arrrgh, Peeke is paid to much for the 3rd pair

What players should the Bruins target for PTOs

Will Lysell make the team and what line should be be on

I mean...yes? What else would we talk about but the issues facing the team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad