Player Discussion Andrew Peeke

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Look I get it but this guy makes not top tier money and is quite literally the best D-Partner McAvoy and Carlo have ever had.

He elevates their games entirely, he alone contributes enough to make a defensive difference in our win-loss column by simply existing and filling that role.

He does this despite being inconsistent at times. This is simply not a replaceable player for Boston. Maybe in a few years, if he ages poorly we can have a proper discussion on the value of his contract.

The facts are: He's 30 years old, he has an NMC and he makes 6.5 million. He's not going anywhere, he's either going to dominate with McAvoy or stabilize the 2nd pair with Carlo as one of the best 2nd pairs in the entire league.
Hampus, had that concussion, and I think it has really affected his play and hopefully, he is recovering, concussions are different for every player, if healthy this good be a solid year for him and all this talk will be irelevant.
It is certainly fair to bring up recent comparables to compare to Peake’s contract. I am not familiar with the source of those cards, what does his card for Peeke look like?

I subscribe to the Athletic so I see their analytical analysis and they had the trade graded a D for Boston and A for CBL. They also have Peeke’s true market value as $800k vs his $2.75M.

My guess is the source you referenced had Peeke in the range of those guys you cited. I think these are bad contracts so it doesn’t make Peeke’s better in my view and there is a good chance their agents used Peeke’s contract as a comparable.

To reiterate, I have nothing against Peeke the person or player. It’s the trade I take issue with. CBL should have retained or they should have taken back a bad contract from Boston.
Not a Sweeney defender, but Peeke is better than what they had, and comes in at about a 1 mil less, I will take it. My problem is not having another goal scorer, and Trading Ullmark, brfore Swayman is signed, Peeke is the least of our problems.

Reactions: Kegs

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Gymnastics like... what comparable players are paid. Literally the only measure we have.

There are 74 right handed defensemen signed to standard one way contracts in the NHL who played at least 38 games. 58 of them make 2.5m or more. That is basically the floor if you're right handed and have played 2 full seasons in the league recently. The rest are either just breaking in, soon to be leaving, or are part time players.

You can prefer to have one of those fringe players playing with Lohrei so you can spend 2 million on whatever but they're not at all comparable to Peeke and it doesn't make the team better. The playoffs are a war of attrition on defensemen, Dallas couldn't overcome having to hide Alex Petrovic after losing only two guys. You want to start out with a Petrovic in the lineup from day one, good luck with that.

They got Peeke because he was Zach Werenski's personal safety net in Columbus playing 21+ minutes a game for two seasons, they want him to be that for Lohrei, and they want the insurance behind Carlo. Nobody gives them any of that for even 1 million less.

The right shot defenseman that beat him out on Columbus just got a 1 year $800k.

Interesting that you left him out from your list of comparables

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Trading Ullmark, brfore Swayman is signed,
Waiting on Swayman to sign before Ullmark is traded:

A) Pushes your draft compensation out a year, with an undefined slot
B) Gives you less cap room for free agency, meaning you don't sign Lindholm or Zadorov
C) Gives Ullmark a chance to redo his no trade list, which would be reset very well (given how this list was done)
D) Keeps you from getting a prospect you really like this year (Letorneau or I'm sure there were a couple others there that drove that decision)
E) Brings in the possibility that you can't trade Ullmark until the deadline, or at all

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I think a lot of people just aren't getting that RHD are much more rare and thus cost more. @dafoomie posted it earlier, there aren't even enough good RHD for 3 per team. You're looking at signing a guy like a broken down Hakanpaa for 1.5 mil if you don't have Peeke, saving what 1.25 mil?

Or you take a risk with Regula/Wotherspoon and save a bit more and then we are sitting here in the playoffs discussing how our 3rd pair RHD needs an upgrade.

Reactions: BruinDust

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I think a lot of people just aren't getting that RHD are much more rare and thus cost more. @dafoomie posted it earlier, there aren't even enough good RHD for 3 per team. You're looking at signing a guy like a broken down Hakanpaa for 1.5 mil if you don't have Peeke, saving what 1.25 mil?

Or you take a risk with Regula/Wotherspoon and save a bit more and then we are sitting here in the playoffs discussing how our 3rd pair RHD needs an upgrade.

I really don’t care much at all if the bottom pair D is right handed it left handed. Hell we saw it plenty under Cassidy where Reilly and forbort were the bottom pair D before clifton really found his way.

Hell the way Peeke was unable to clear the zone in the playoffs it looked like he didn’t even have a stick blade.

Regardless, Would you rather be talking about how your bottom pair D needs an upgrade at the trade deadline or how you need to upgrade a top 6 RW?

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I really don’t care much at all if the bottom pair D is right handed it left handed. Hell we saw it plenty under Cassidy where Reilly and forbort were the bottom pair D before clifton really found his way.

Regardless, Would you rather be talking about how your bottom pair D needs an upgrade at the trade deadline or how you need to upgrade a top 6 RW?
It doesn't matter if you or I would be okay playing a LHD there, the Bs seem pretty persistent on having LD-RD.

Who are we getting for the top 6 that isn't just more of what we have with Peekes money? I think we are still sitting here saying we need a top 6 RW, but now we also need a RHD.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Waiting on Swayman to sign before Ullmark is traded:

A) Pushes your draft compensation out a year, with an undefined slot
B) Gives you less cap room for free agency, meaning you don't sign Lindholm or Zadorov
C) Gives Ullmark a chance to redo his no trade list, which would be reset very well (given how this list was done)
D) Keeps you from getting a prospect you really like this year (Letorneau or I'm sure there were a couple others there that drove that decision)
E) Brings in the possibility that you can't trade Ullmark until the deadline, or at all

As someone who was very pro-trade Ullmark the past few months. I would instantly reverse that trade and hold onto him for a year as opposed to having korpisalo on the books for 4 more.

Reactions: Kalus

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
It doesn't matter if you or I would be okay playing a LHD there, the Bs seem pretty persistent on having LD-RD.

Who are we getting for the top 6 that isn't just more of what we have with Peekes money? I think we are still sitting here saying we need a top 6 RW, but now we also need a RHD.

Well yes that is 100% what the team wants.

However this is a forum even if it doesnt matter what you or I wanted and every discussion ended with “well the team wants this and that’s why they brought them in” then this forum would be dead in the offseason until games were actually played.

That’s why this is a forum and there’s roster construction discussions

Reactions: Hookslide

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Think we'll be looking at
Zadorov McAvoy 14.5 mil
Lindholm Carlo 10.6 mil
Lorhei Peeke 3.675 mil
Lohrei and Peeke didn’t look good together in the postseason. Carlo has improved with the puck he does well with Lohrei they were our best D men. McAvoy has the contract and had Norris consideration but I’m not sure after last playoffs he’s our best RD. If Lindholm doesn’t win us G7 vs Toronto there might be buyout chatter.

Peeke Lindholm and Korpisalo is all we have to move out next year to offer Draisaitl if they all have good seasons teams will be interested.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Well yes that is 100% what the team wants.

However this is a forum even if it doesnt matter what you or I wanted and every discussion ended with “well the team wants this and that’s why they brought them in” then this forum would be dead in the offseason until games were actually played.

That’s why this is a forum and there’s roster construction discussions
I just mean it's always been Ld-Rd here. Most things are worth discussion I just think we are talking about something that they will only do out of necessity.

In the scope of our discussion we are better off looking at replacement RHD than every hand, because it's realistically what the team is going to do.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
I see we are grossly underrating H.lindholm around here. Guys so good. His gap control is good, his outlet passes are good but too. He is a great second pairing guy.

I dont think there is a team in the east with a better D group than Boston. I don’t think it’s close.

Mcavoy, Carlo, lindholm, lohrei, peeke, Zadorov and the spoon. How can we not love this entire group? Show me another team with a better group on the back end.
There isn't, they are big, really big, with a great mix of mobility, shot blocking, physical play, puck moving, good old fashioned mean from Zadarov which hopefully wears off on Carlo and doesn't really have a weak spot, with an all star goalie behind them in Swayman. Lindholm, Pasta, Marchand and hopefully contributions from Frederic, Coyle, Zacha, Geekie and maybe Poitras and the offense should be good enough. You can manufacture goals if you have to, they have the size at forward to just crash the net, let the D shoot and bury rebounds.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
The right shot defenseman that beat him out on Columbus just got a 1 year $800k.

Because he didn't beat him out and he's not comparable. He played fewer games than Peeke did and he's a small offensive defenseman, defensive liability. If he's your guy to play with Lohrei on your 3rd pair, fine, make that argument. Pick someone who the Bruins could have signed or traded for who makes less than Peeke, who would be better than Peeke, and make the case. No one wants to do that because you can't.

Last edited:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I just mean it's always been Ld-Rd here. Most things are worth discussion I just think we are talking about something that they will only do out of necessity.

In the scope of our discussion we are better off looking at replacement RHD than every hand, because it's realistically what the team is going to do.

It hasn’t always been there was a good stretch where it was forbort and reilly in the bottom pair under Cassidy.

And before that when kevan miller was out constantly with injury we had Lauzon/john Moore playing the right side when chara/krug/gryz were locking down the left side.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

The small soft defenseman who doesn't hit, and doesn't block shots, but provides a modicum of offense

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Because he didn't beat him out and he's not comparable. He played fewer games than Peeke did and he's a small offensive defenseman, defensive liability. If he's your guy to play with Lohrei on your 3rd pair, fine, make that argument. Pick someone who the Bruins could have signed or traded for who makes less than Peeke, who would be better than Peeke, and make the case. No one wants to do that because you can't.
Oh man he absolutely beat out Peeke at the beginning of the year. And theres articles beyond articles of evidence on the internet.

Peeke before last year was Werenskis partner. Boqvist took over that role as Werenskis partner at the beginning of the 23/24. Peeke was a healthy scratch for the majority of the season only appearing in 5 games until through the first two months of the season until Boqvist got hurt with a shoulder strain that left Bqovist out for almost 2 months. This allowed Peeke to be inserted back in the lineup.

Boqvist came back and 1/6 and guess who went back to being a healthy scratch.. Peeke. Until Boqvist caught a puck to the face which allowed Peeke to come back.

Then a mixed bag of injuries to defenders allowed Peeke to play until February where he was healthy scratched again.

You can get a rough visual of Peekes healthy scratches here when they repeatedly say "peeke drew back into the lineup after a series of healthy scratches"

Dont get me wrong Boqvist is bad too and had some healthy scratches. However, Peeke was 100% healthy scratched in favor of Boqvist for the first two months of the year until Boqvist got injured. There is no doubting it at all.

Then theres daming articles like this where the CBJ were calling up AHL players to play over Peeke

"Peeke was so bad in that December 29th game, that the team opted to recall journeman defenseman Jake Christiansen from the Cleveland Monsters the next morning. Even as the injuries have mounted over the last few weeks, with Damon Severson, Adam Boqvist, Nick Blankenburg, and Zach Werenski all missing time; Peeke has struggled to find minutes for the club."

Not only was he so bad, the CBJ has a laundry list of injuries and were calling up AHL players to play over Peeke.

Further down in the article they talk about how word around Columbus was that the Blue Jackets would have to throw a "high draft pick" AND eat cap to rid themselves of Peeke at the deadline. Sweeney was dumb enough to give up a 3rd.

" there are only two ways out of this for the Blue Jackets. Their first option would be to add other pieces to send him off to a team with cap space. They would have to throw in a high draft pick or good prospect and probably still eat some cap to get rid of him in this scenario."

If you need any more evidence, there is a bevy of articles all over the internet I would be more than happy to provide. Please let me know.

Last edited:

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Wotherspoon wasn't any good before he got here either and everybody just figured him for an AHL depth guy. You give these guys limited and well defined roles in a highly structured system and they can succeed (or at least maximize their potential). Don't look at any stats from Columbus, they were a mess top to bottom.
I don't expect anything earth shattering from Peeke, but as a bottom pairing shot blocker he's just fine.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Wotherspoon wasn't any good before he got here either and everybody just figured him for an AHL depth guy. You give these guys limited and well defined roles in a highly structured system and they can succeed (or at least maximize their potential). Don't look at any stats from Columbus, they were a mess top to bottom.
I don't expect anything earth shattering from Peeke, but as a bottom pairing shot blocker he's just fine.
It is kinda fun though to hear how we should take management cues from the decision making of the Columbus Bluejackets.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Tell me who you would've picked up who is cheaper than Peeke and as good or better or stop wasting my time.

lol you claimed he didn’t get benched for boqvist which was incredibly false. He was not only getting benched for boqvist they were calling up AHL’ers to play over him.

I would have 100% taken brannstrom over peeke and played him on his off wing for 1/3 of the price.

Bruins have played LHD numerous times on 3rd pairing right side under Sweeney.

IveGotToBeMe

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
RI
Have to give it to you, you’re very persistent but are in the very small minority on your take here. Peeke was a solid pickup for the third pairing and he showed that during his regular season play with the B’s. It’s unfair to criticize him on his postseason play after being injured as none of us know the extent of the injury and whether he manned up to get back sooner than he should have. Criticize his contract all you want but it’s not like you were signing the second coming of Guy Lafleur at wing with the million and a half or so you would have available if you went with a lesser contract at the third pairing right defense position. I feel he solidified the third pairing D when he was at his peak (see what I did there) during the latter part of the regular season.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Have to give it to you, you’re very persistent but are in the very small minority on your take here. Peeke was a solid pickup for the third pairing and he showed that during his regular season play with the B’s. It’s unfair to criticize him on his postseason play after being injured as none of us know the extent of the injury and whether he manned up to get back sooner than he should have. Criticize his contract all you want but it’s not like you were signing the second coming of Guy Lafleur at wing with the million and a half or so you would have available if you went with a lesser contract at the third pairing right defense position. I feel he solidified the third pairing D when he was at his peak (see what I did there) during the latter part of the regular season.

Bruins can give swayman $8m a year and have 1.35m left in cap. Swap out Peeke for brannstrom and korpisalo for bussi and that’s $5.4m for a RW. Plenty enough for a top 6 RW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad