Players From Countries Other Than Your Own You Prefer Over Players From Your Country?

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Are there any players from a different country than yours that you prefer over players from your own country? I mean stars who have rivalries with players from different nations.

Russians liking Crosby, Canadians liking Ovechkin, Finns preferring Forsberg over one of their own, that sort of thing...

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
I'm Canadian and I don't favour Canadian players even in the slightest. I just like players based on their play. Many of my all-time favourite players are Russians, probably more Russians than Canadians. But I have favourites from all the big hockey countries.

And I generally don't cheer for Team Canada in international play either.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Teemu is numero uno.

Coming from someone who loved Cujo so much as a wee lad he became an Oilers fan for life.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I'm Canadian and I don't favour Canadian players even in the slightest. I just like players based on their play. Many of my all-time favourite players are Russians, probably more Russians than Canadians. But I have favourites from all the big hockey countries.

i couldnt care less about team canada....i cheer devils players and team

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
I'm canadian and my two favourite players (ever) are Mike Richter (American) and Henrik Lundqvist (Swedish). Depending how the next 7-10 years go I may end up adding a Russian (Shesterkin) to that list.

Forsberg (swedish) may be my favourite non -Ranger ever. Brian Leetch (American) probably my favourite defenseman.

Yeah, idgaf about NHL player's nationalities.

All things being equal I pull for Canada in international play but there are exceptions (ie 96 world cup was pulling for Richter and by extension team USA. Same in 2014(??) At Olympics with Lundqvist and Sweden.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I'm German, but do have some Swedish on my dad's side so for most of my hockey fandom I've been using Sweden as my adopted national squad. Lidstrom is my favorite player, after Fedorov got me hooked on hockey initially. But... Seider may be changing things for me. Hopefully the Germans can get more quality pieces in place slowly but surely. I still contend that Germany, Austria, and Switzerland should band together for international competitions. Could probably field a semi-competitive team that way.

Not sure who would be considered Germany's main international rivals...

As for Sweden and the Finns... I like Heiskanen and liked Kimmo Timonen back in the day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Realgud

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Are there any players from a different country than yours that you prefer over players from your own country? I mean stars who have rivalries with players from different nations.

Russians liking Crosby, Canadians liking Ovechkin, Finns preferring Forsberg over one of their own, that sort of thing...
Finns admire the hell out of Sundin. He was a finn killer in every game he played, unfortunately.

I wanted the Canes to beat the Red Wings in 2002 just because Irbe's pads were so dirty. Like f*** yeah. He knows the struggle.
Team bus had to run over them!

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Kucherov is one of my favourite players. Kovalchuk and Subban were my two favourite players growing up. Fedorov is arguably my all time favourite player. I could see Hutson becoming one of my next favourites.

Many years ago my top 3 favourite prospects were:

Kucherov
Kuznetsov
Tarasenko

Honestly I don't really care much about nationality when it comes to enjoying hockey, unless I'm cheering for Team Canada in a tournament.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I guess Hellebuyck is probably the top US goalie right now but I would still generally cheer for him to do well.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I don't care about foreigners and that include Canadians.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad