Value of: Andrei Kuzmenko

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
Washington isn’t trading Wilson for Andrei
You're right, that really is a horrendous offer. Just wondering what it would actually take to get a guy like Wilson if he's at all available? Would a 1st, Lekk, Kuz be enough or would it take more? I've heard Caps fans say he's their next captain so I don't imagine he'd be available, but man he'd shore up our top six really well and he has a really reasonable extension coming up too.

Mik - Petey - Wilson
Hog - Miller - Boeser

Feb 19, 2018
You're right, that really is a horrendous offer. Just wondering what it would actually take to get a guy like Wilson if he's at all available? Would a 1st, Lekk, Kuz be enough or would it take more? I've heard Caps fans say he's their next captain so I don't imagine he'd be available, but man he'd shore up our top six really well and he has a really reasonable extension coming up too.

Mik - Petey - Wilson
Hog - Miller - Boeser

The offer was surrounded around those 2 players for Cap reasons obviously. It was a base around a deal. Kuzmenko is younger and coming off a 40 goal season so his value isn’t dust. Capitals window is closing and a player like Wilson might not make much sense going forward.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

Mik - Petey - Wilson
Hog - Miller - Boeser
No doubt would look good. But everything points to Wilson being untouchable.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
Why though?

I would rather keep Kuzmenko, and spend that 1st on a different type of player.
If Kuz cant be rehab’d into what Toch needs
Guentz would be an insane upgrade, ppg shooting W with grit
UFA this summer frees cap, maybe the extra year works for Pitt(?) Kuz could thrive w Malkin or Sid.
And Pitt connection

Crazy idea is, this might be a year to shove chips in middle. Lots of affordability issues going forward, w ufas and big rfas, plus miller and vets aint getting younger. Why not go for it if you can w/o hamstringing yourself, which for first time in forever can have confidence in management

Last edited:

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Kuz and a first for Guentzel?

While I doubt Pittsburgh will remotely consider themselves sellers no matter where they are in the standings, Guentzel is a UFA this off season and likely looking for a decent payday. We really can't afford to give him 8M+ he might get.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have him but I want someone who will be around for next season too.

Reactions: elitepete

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Kuz and a first for Guentzel?

Why though?

I would rather keep Kuzmenko, and spend that 1st on a different type of player.
The Canucks would probably make that move because both management (Rutherford/Allvin) and coaching (Tocchet) are familiar working with Guentzel and know that he can be productive through a long playoff run.

It would be one more major known-quantity going into the playoffs rather than continuing with Kuzmenko who is something of a question mark—he has no playoff-experience and hasn’t performed this regular season either.

Guentzel isn’t who I had top of mind when thinking about a Vancouver TDL target—but the more that I think about it, and the further that PIT slips down the standings—the more that I see the potential.

Reactions: TropicOfNoReturn

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
Yep. His own coach is telling everyone, if he’s not scoring, he’s actually hurting the team, and they’re better without him.

It really is basic, classic stuff with him. Teams have all seen him now. There’s an actual scouting report that says, pressure him and he’ll fold. He needs open space to score, and as of now, he hasn’t shown he can beat NHL dmen 1 on 1, to create that extra space he needs.

All NHL dmen cheat, and give you space outside. If you prove you can score with that space, they adjust and stop cheating against you. They’ll actually pressure you. They take that space away.

It’s one of the major differences between the NHL and every other league. Dmen can play 1 on 1 against very skilled forwards. KHL dmen can’t. So they “give” that outside space. It’s that simple.

It’s why many of these wingers can score consistently in the KHL but not in the NHL. Many of them have that initial success here too. Maybe not as much as Kuzmenko, but same basics apply. After NHL dmen adjust, and pressure them, they can’t score anymore. It’s why so many of them bust in the NHL, and go back to Russia.

It’s up to him to now respond and so far it’s glaring that he hasn’t been able to.

We see this more with “Natural” Russian and Czech wingers than anyone else. Very skilled players too. They just can’t create space under pressure, and if you can’t do that in the NHL, you won’t be around very long. Especially if you’re not a 200’ player. It’s a very different game in North America than in Russia.

It really is that simple.

Lol you should at least watch players if you're going to make such definitive statements about their play. This is a load of nonsense.

This is a guy with 17 points in 29 games played. Everyone likes to talk about his shooting percentages and averages in relation to his counting stats while ignoring that he only plays 15 minutes a game. He playd 16 a game last year.

Some of his best performances both last year and this have been with Kuzmenko on the 3rd or 4th line. The idea that he hasn't been tough enough to play in the tough areas reeks of the old euro/Russian stereotypes.

Kuzmenko's issue hasn't been that he plays too perimeter - its that he doesn't understand his role as an F1 on the forecheck. He peels off too much rather than pressuring to aid the players behind him. His defensive effort is better than his defensive understanding but he does not manage the game - he'll make the same creative cross-ice pass to the opposite wing to try and maintain possession even when his team is changing behind him and needs him to just dump it.

The necessity of playing an intelligent team based 200ft defensive game is why he's sitting. The projection of a soft offensive game is entirely your fabrication.

dustybreaks

Dec 31, 2012
Lol you should at least watch players if you're going to make such definitive statements about their play. This is a load of nonsense.

This is a guy with 17 points in 29 games played. Everyone likes to talk about his shooting percentages and averages in relation to his counting stats while ignoring that he only plays 15 minutes a game. He playd 16 a game last year.

Some of his best performances both last year and this have been with Kuzmenko on the 3rd or 4th line. The idea that he hasn't been tough enough to play in the tough areas reeks of the old euro/Russian stereotypes.

Kuzmenko's issue hasn't been that he plays too perimeter - its that he doesn't understand his role as an F1 on the forecheck. He peels off too much rather than pressuring to aid the players behind him. His defensive effort is better than his defensive understanding but he does not manage the game - he'll make the same creative cross-ice pass to the opposite wing to try and maintain possession even when his team is changing behind him and needs him to just dump it.

The necessity of playing an intelligent team based 200ft defensive game is why he's sitting. The projection of a soft offensive game is entirely your fabrication.

You literally just said he’s a perimeter player ffs.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
A lot of people seem to think they know Kuzmenko without actually ever watching him play. He must’ve scored 20+ goals last season from within 5 feet of the net. Guy isn’t soft or afraid to play in traffic, he’s just lazy and/or inept defensively.

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
A lot of people seem to think they know Kuzmenko without actually ever watching him play. He must’ve scored 20+ goals last season from within 5 feet of the net. Guy isn’t soft or afraid to play in traffic, he’s just lazy and/or inept defensively.

Yes. It's baffling how someone with so many tips and rebounds can be painted as a soft perimeter player. We have Garland on the team - we know what a perimeter player looks like.

To add, I don't find laziness to be the issue. When he stops moving it is because he is unsure not because he just doesn't want to or is cheating. In fact a greater issue recently is that he's been too active and doesn't know when to bail and return to position so he's gotten himself stuck playing defender and protecting the net.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
Kuzmenko for Palmieri, 1st, and any prospect (Dufour maybe?)

If Vancouver has to get rid of him, the islanders make for a good destination. Palmieri is still a decent middle 6 option. Obviously Kuzmenko is a better player but the 1st + prospect should even out the value.

If not them, then I can see Colorado, Carolina, or Florida taking a stab at this

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov
Feb 19, 2018
I wonder if NJ would be willing to part with Mercer? I know he’s had a down year and NJ has some Cap space. Looks like they could use a spark as they are spinning tires at the moment.

Reactions: Ninjadude

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Capitals window is closing

I think your information is out of date. The Capitals are third in the east, and they're doing it with contributions from a bunch of players who are under 27.

Selling Wilson makes no sense for a team with a .633 points percentage.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
If Washington is the team a trade involving Kuzmenko and Tom Wilson makes so much sense. Vancouver has been adding size and grit with Zadorov, Cole, Soucy, Bluegar, Lafferty, Friedman etc etc.

Wilson would help provide a safe working environment and would be great on Petey’s wing. The playoffs would speak for themselves as adding Zadorov and Wilson mid season would be incredible for team toughness.
Less than zero chance Kuzmenko is the main piece back in a trade for Wilson. There are two or three players Washington would entertain from Vancouver as a return for Wilson and Vancouver would never part with those guys.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
It’s gonna be really interesting to see what kind of value he has, I honestly think it’s significant still, the guy scored 39 goals last year, especially if you could retain a little bit.

I would not be surprised whatsoever if he breaks out in the second half of the season, or gets traded and pots 30 plus goals next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad