Rumor: Anaheim willing to listen on offers for Gibson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
So what does Gibson do well? What one thing can you point to? Anahem doesn't win games, nor does Gibson stop pucks. I should believe he's a great goalie because Anaheim fans that watch games say so?
Not just Anaheim fans. Ask experts around the league, goalie coaches and former goaltenders, and the vast majority will tell you he’s got great ability. Has he at times struggled behind a young/bad team that had stretches during which it imploded on a regular basis? Sure. But in general, his angles and reflexes are elite, in a system that limits cross-ice passes in the slot, he’s one of the hardest goalies to beat in the league. Given how playoff games tend to be played more tightly by competent defensive systems, there’s no reason to expect his tangible skills just went away. We know they didn’t - it was easily visible when the Ducks executed something resembling a structured defensive game earlier in the season.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
So if Gibson stops the puck well, why can't anyone point to a single thing that verifies this contention outside of "I watch the games"?

I don't believe I accused you of being a Ducks fan or an American either. No idea where that silliness even came from.
Goaltenders are fickle. Their numbers go up and down for a variety of reasons. But they are probably the easiest to determine their skill level without relying on stats. Way easier than skaters. Gibson is one of the most technically skilled and sound goaltenders on the planet.

Perhaps currently there are no numbers to show this. But that’s my point. Regardless, he remains one of the most technically sound athletes in net.

Reactions: Beckett

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
You have that completely backwards, actually.

See my post above. There's nothing Gibson does even average the last few years.

You do know GSAx isolates for team defense, right? You must otherwise you wouldn't have intentionally posted something so wrong.

I don't know this metric but I have gone through the WAR metrics methodology in details, you can find them on evolving hockey and the creators mention that they try to control for team performance but fail to do so perfectly, especially for players who play a lot in bad teams :s not sure how it works with goalies and GSAx but I suppose you have the same issue.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
2014-15
Bernier .912
Riemer .907

2015-2016 (last place team)
Bernier .908
Riemer .918
Sparks .893

2016-17
Andersen .918
Defense core: Rielly, Zaitsev, Gardiner, Hunwick, Polak, Carrick, Marincin.

I think Gibson would have a chance to be a lot better than .905% on the Leafs, and I'd certainly trust him more than the farce that's been tending our nets the last few months. But ain't no damn way anyone should be paying premium prices for a guy with 5 more years on his deal at 6.4m, when he's been putting up .905% for years now. Gibson can't even put up numbers matching Riemer and Bernier on astoundingly bad Leafs teams, and it's been three years now. I ain't paying 1st rounders and top prospects for that, and I don't care how good he was four years ago. The price must reflect reality, if he doesn't rebound that is an absolute albatross.
Man can you stop looking at only the analytics. If you don't watch Gibson play it's really unfair for you to just be shitting on him. I'm a Leafs fan - I have no bias and no reason to pump up gibson.

By your arguments Gibson is worse than Reimer and Bernier - like just stop lol

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Lindholm, Manson and Fowler all have had injury issues the past few seasons.

The ducks also struggle to have possession of the puck, thus not really giving Gibson much help.

Also, if that’s your best offer for an elite goalie. I suppose you should get your Jack Campbell jersey ready because ya ain’t getting anything better for a late first and waiver fodder.
I believe that Gibson is a darn good goalie, but there is no way that you're putting the screws to anyone when the guy has been .905sv% for three years and has big dollars and term left on his deal. Your excuses for why he's been letting in goals are about as good as the excuses for why the Leafs keep getting eliminated in the first round. Relevant enough, but nobody outside of your fanbase actually cares.

If Gibson had played like an elite goalie for three years, I would be singing a different tune.

Man can you stop looking at only the analytics. If you don't watch Gibson play it's really unfair for you to just be shitting on him. I'm a Leafs fan - I have no bias and no reason to pump up gibson.

By your arguments Gibson is worse than Reimer and Bernier - like just stop lol
Man, read the damn posts that I'm writing. I've written in every single post that I think he's a good goalie, but I am very much making an argument about the price. I can make an argument for the price in a thread where people are discussing the price.

Sv% is not f***ing analytics.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
I was gonna say Edmonton should be all over this but the 10 team no trade list means Edmonton has already been denied 10 times

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I believe that Gibson is a darn good goalie, but there is no way that you're putting the screws to anyone when the guy has been .905sv% for three years and has big dollars and term left on his deal. Your excuses for why he's been letting in goals are about as good as the excuses for why the Leafs keep getting eliminated in the first round. Relevant enough, but nobody outside of your fanbase actually cares.

If Gibson had played like an elite goalie for three years, I would be singing a different tune.

Man, read the damn posts that I'm writing. I've written in every single post that I think he's a good goalie, but I am very much making an argument about the price. I can make an argument for the price in a thread where people are discussing the price.

Sv% is not f***ing analytics.

Ok but a rental Fleury just went for a 1st. If leafs want Gibson - we need to include Mrazek in the package and if we're using the recent trades as an example - I don't see Anaheim accepting anything less than 1st + Liljegren (although I think they try to push for Knies/Niemla) + Mrazek

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Ok but a rental Fleury just went for a 1st. If leafs want Gibson - we need to include Mrazek in the package and if we're using the recent trades as an example - I don't see Anaheim accepting anything less than 1st + Liljegren (although I think they try to push for Knies/Niemla) + Mrazek
Yeah, I pass on that without a moment's hesitation. If Gibson had a great contract, or had been playing well the last three years I would be all over this sort of deal. But he hasn't and his contract is a massive commitment. The Oilers are more than free to beat that offer and claim their prize if they like.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Well, I don't mind the earlier proposal of Bourgault, 1st, Skinner and Koskinen, but I was going to propose two firsts, Carter Savoie and Konovolov, along with cap space to make it work Koskinen, if we can't make it work with other players moving out. I'd say Smith and Kassian could make the same space, but I wouldn't blame the Ducks for not wanting to take on Smith's final year.

Nice, both solid offers IMO.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Koskinen skinner boulguarts and a 1st
For
Gibson + steel

Maybe other picks added, hell wel take Kassian dump too now that des is gone

I'd work a package around Bourgault + 1st. Rather dump Smith over Koskinen. Kassian has to go. I've seen posters ask for Savoie who'd I'd include instead of Skinner. Workable frame work here though

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad