Rumor: Anaheim willing to listen on offers for Gibson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Gibson was our best player this season up until the ASG. Someone made a breakdown of his stats before/after and the falloff is... unfortunate.

I'd make an elaborate offer from Edmonton, but we've been down that road before, and the Oilers are likely on his 10 team no trade list.

Let's assume that's not the case... and go! :popcorn:

Last edited:
Reactions: Yemeth

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
A goalie who has been .905 for the last three years and has five more years on his deal? Where do I sign up? I don't give a rats ass if the Ducks have been bad, Freddy Andersen stood on his head behind that godawful Hainsey-Gardiner-Zaitsev defense for years putting up .917. Years of hearing how great Ducks defenders like Lindholm, Manson, and Fowler have been, so why has Gibson been decidedly mediocre?

I believe that Gibson was unreal for a few years, and I'm perfectly willing to believe that he's got gas in the tank. But three years of .905 means that he's a reclaimation project and ain't nobody is paying through the nose for a shot at a guy with 5 more years @ 6.4m. I'd be fine with a trade for Gibson, anything is better than the shit my Leafs have had for the last month. But he ain't fetching all star goalie price, not even remotely close. Mrazek, a 1st, and then we work on salary from there.

Reactions: mr figgles

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
A goalie who has been .905 for the last three years and has five more years on his deal? Where do I sign up? I don't give a rats ass if the Ducks have been bad, Freddy Andersen stood on his head behind that godawful Hainsey-Gardiner-Zaitsev defense for years putting up .917. Years of hearing how great Ducks defenders like Lindholm, Manson, and Fowler have been, so why has Gibson been decidedly mediocre?

I believe that Gibson was unreal for a few years, and I'm perfectly willing to believe that he's got gas in the tank. But three years of .905 means that he's a reclaimation project and ain't nobody is paying through the nose for a shot at a guy with 5 more years @ 6.4m. I'd be fine with a trade for Gibson, anything is better than the shit my Leafs have had for the last month. But he ain't fetching all star goalie price, not even remotely close. Mrazek, a 1st, and then we work on salary from there.

Bruh chill out a little bit - if freddy was on our 2015 team he'd be lit up just as much.

I genuinly think he'd put up vezina level performances with Toronto. I want ittttttttttt

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Ya, he is not. That's a young team, with a bunch of defensive breakdowns. Not exactly ideal conditions. IMO, he has top 5 in the league top talent.
Let's look at where he ranks among other goaltenders the last three years.

GSAx (min. 5 games played):
2019/2020 - 69
2020/2021 - 53
2021/2022 - 68

SV% (min. 5 games played):

2019/2020 - 50
2020/2021 - 47
2021/2022 - 40

He's a top five talented goalie in the league? By what measure? When does Gibson get blame for the bad Ducks instead of living off his reputation from four seasons ago? The numbers above are trash and the Ducks can't be solely blamed for it.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
This is one of the best examples to illustrate how in certain instances, stats can be misleading without the context of visual assessments.
You have that completely backwards, actually.

See my post above. There's nothing Gibson does even average the last few years.

You do know GSAx isolates for team defense, right? You must otherwise you wouldn't have intentionally posted something so wrong.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Gibson was our best player this season up until the ASG. Someone made a breakdown of his stats before/after and the falloff is .... unfortunate.

Let's assume that's not the case... and go! :popcorn:
Well, I don't mind the earlier proposal of Bourgault, 1st, Skinner and Koskinen, but I was going to propose two firsts, Carter Savoie and Konovolov, along with cap space to make it work Koskinen, if we can't make it work with other players moving out. I'd say Smith and Kassian could make the same space, but I wouldn't blame the Ducks for not wanting to take on Smith's final year.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Tavares for Gibson. Win win for both teams. Toronto gets a goalie with some cap relief and trades away an aging scorer that isn't producing to the contract but is a still solid. Ducks get a former captain and player to help draw fans while mentoring the young kids.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
You have that completely backwards, actually.

See my post above. There's nothing Gibson does even average the last few years.

You do know GSAx isolates for team defense, right? You must otherwise you wouldn't have intentionally posted something so wrong.
what is like following hockey through fancy stats instead of watching games? must save a lot of time.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
You have that completely backwards actually.
I’m a stats lover, believe me. I find huge value in using them in player valuations. I’ve learned though, that they could just as easily paint a confusing picture, in certain instances, without visual confirmation.

They are a scouting aid, and a great scouting aid, if used properly. But there’s a reason why final scouting decisions at the highest levels will always be made by a pair of human eyes sitting high in the corners of hockey arenas.

Reactions: Yemeth

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
what is like following hockey through fancy stats instead of watching games? must save a lot of time.
My favorite posts. Nothing of substance to rebut my first post argument, so back to the old "I watch the games" so I know bullshit.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
I’m a stats lover, believe me. I find huge value in using them in player valuations. I’ve learned though, that they could just as easily paint a confusing picture, in certain instances, without visual confirmation.

They are a scouting aid, and a great scouting aid, if used properly. But there’s a reason why final scouting decisions at the highest levels will always be made by a pair of human eyes sitting high in the corners of hockey arenas.
"I don't like what the stats say, so I'm going to make arguments that can't be refuted."

I'm done, have a nice rest of your day.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
My favorite posts. Nothing of substance to rebut my first post argument, so back to the old "I watch the games" so I know bullshit.
Goaltending evaluations exclusively based on numbers have never worked, and will continue to not work for a significant time. Sorry that scouting isn’t as easy as browsing a website.

Reactions: dracom

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Bruh chill out a little bit - if freddy was on our 2015 team he'd be lit up just as much.

I genuinly think he'd put up vezina level performances with Toronto. I want ittttttttttt
2014-15
Bernier .912
Riemer .907

2015-2016 (last place team)
Bernier .908
Riemer .918
Sparks .893

2016-17
Andersen .918
Defense core: Rielly, Zaitsev, Gardiner, Hunwick, Polak, Carrick, Marincin.

I think Gibson would have a chance to be a lot better than .905% on the Leafs, and I'd certainly trust him more than the farce that's been tending our nets the last few months. But ain't no damn way anyone should be paying premium prices for a guy with 5 more years on his deal at 6.4m, when he's been putting up .905% for years now. Gibson can't even put up numbers matching Riemer and Bernier on astoundingly bad Leafs teams, and it's been three years now. I ain't paying 1st rounders and top prospects for that, and I don't care how good he was four years ago. The price must reflect reality, if he doesn't rebound that is an absolute albatross.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Goaltending evaluations exclusively based on numbers have never worked, and will continue to not work for a significant time. Sorry that scouting isn’t as easy as browsing a website.
So what does Gibson do well? What one thing can you point to? Anahem doesn't win games, nor does Gibson stop pucks. I should believe he's a great goalie because Anaheim fans that watch games say so?

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
"I don't like what the stats say, so I'm going to make arguments that can't be refuted."

I'm done, have a nice rest of your day.
If that’s what you understood from what I wrote, you should work on your reading comprehension.

I’m not a Ducks fan, I’m not American. I’m not related to John Gibson. I don’t even own him on a fantasy team. What possible personal investment could I have in him?

It was more to say that there are certain times that stat watching alone , without visual assessment to confirm what the digits tell you, can lead you to trouble. An stat painting Gibson as a poor goaltender in general is one of the best examples to illustrate this.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
If that’s what you understood from what I wrote, you should work on your reading comprehension.

I’m not a Ducks fan, I’m not American. I’m not related to John Gibson. I don’t even own him on a fantasy team. What possible personal investment could I have in him?

It was more to say that there are certain times that stat watching alone , without visual assessment to confirm what the digits tell you, can lead you to trouble. An stat painting Gibson as a poor goaltender in general is one of the best examples to illustrate this.
So if Gibson stops the puck well, why can't anyone point to a single thing that verifies this contention outside of "I watch the games"?

I don't believe I accused you of being a Ducks fan or an American either. No idea where that silliness even came from.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022

Lindholm, Manson and Fowler all have had injury issues the past few seasons.

The ducks also struggle to have possession of the puck, thus not really giving Gibson much help.

Also, if that’s your best offer for an elite goalie. I suppose you should get your Jack Campbell jersey ready because ya ain’t getting anything better for a late first and waiver fodder.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Marzek, Sandin, Knies and 1st for Gibson
0EADF20D-2CA7-4969-91AA-FAABB9A63938.gif

nilssont

May 27, 2007
So what does Gibson do well? What one thing can you point to? Anahem doesn't win games, nor does Gibson stop pucks. I should believe he's a great goalie because Anaheim fans that watch games say so?

Anaheim doesnt win games because coaching is bad and the young guys isnt ready. Goaltending is the least of our problems

DucksUnited

Mar 16, 2022
Toronto always loves Anaheims goalies. Giguere, Andersen. Toronto will definitely give up that first + prospect + cap dump.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad