Confirmed Trade: [ANA/PHI] Cutter Gauthier for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
wonder what the issue with Philly was. I would think it's one of the more desirable NHL teams to play for. Big city and a big market with money. I guess Torts reputation with young players, but still surprising, not a typical market players request out of (outside Lindros which was a very complex situation).
Torts benches young players most than people have a cup of coffee. Torts also not exactly the best coach for creativity.

Reactions: Amorgus

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Drysdale could turn out great, but Anaheim didn’t need him. They have the best young defensive depth in the league, and they unearth steals every year.

Did any of you watch the World Juniors? They picked Dionicio last year after he went through the prior draft undrafted. They have no problem drafting defensemen.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Reverse Karma for Lindros...lol. Having said that, and even though Philly is a rival, dick move by any player not to play for the team that drafted him. That includes when Lindros did it to another even more hated rival.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
What I don’t understand is why?

What is so bad about Philadelphia or the Flyers? Serious question. As an outsider, I don’t get it.

I could understand it if he didn’t want to be coached by Torts or just DGAF and was going to tell the NHL community he’s picking his team.
Seriously that's what I want to know. He didn't even want to talk to them, wtf happened there? Maybe a bad pre draft meeting?
Have you seen the past 10 years here? All that erased because Keith Jones became the president and they’ve overachieved for less than one half of one season?

Some us here won’t be fooled.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
I wouldn’t think a non-NHLer would make Zegras expendable, so probably not.
I would say Zegras is worth more to Anaheim then most considering he is so marketable for a team their size in their market.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
I've been a big Gauthier fan ever since his draft year, but I gotta say if the reports of him refusing to play in Philly are true, I've lost a lot of respect for him. This always screams mental/ego issues to me. As much as I dislike the Flyers good on them for getting really good value back and not have to see him ride out his rights in NCAA like we've seen some others do.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Wow, literally exclaimed "holy shit!" aloud, and there's nobody else in my house right now but me.

This is an interesting one.

Drysdale looked really promising in his rookie year but he's missed a lot of time. Sometimes that messes with development and other times it doesn't, but there's a gambling aspect here for the Flyers.

Gauthier was a sort of low-ceiling pick in a mediocre draft as I recall at the time but it seems like he had a good WJC and is having a good college season and so his stock has risen.

Will be fascinating to follow how this develops.

This also helps Philadelphia this season. Have to think that this partly allows them to continue to support their team psychologically (since it can do real damage to a strip a club for picks when the club is battling hard to stay playoff relevant), while preparing to deal Sean Walker.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
This is a weird trade, in that young players like Drysdale are rarely traded, and recently drafted prospects like Gauthier are also almost never moved, other than in a package to get an established player.

I always figure in a deal like this, both sides know a lot more about the player they are giving up than about the guy they are picking up.... makes the whole thing risky IMO.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Reverse Karma for Lindros...lol. Having said that, and even though Philly is a rival, dick move by any player not to play for the team that drafted him. That includes when Lindros did it to another even more hated rival.
What the Lindros family thought of Aubet and the stability of the franchise turned out to be largely true. Teams get chances to get new players all the time, players only get one shot at a career. So, I don't disagree with them forcing moves if they aren't under contract, which neither Lindros or Gauthier were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad