Confirmed Trade: [ANA/PHI] Cutter Gauthier for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's still a bit of a bitch move. Players have known since they were 13 years old that they might get drafted by some team even though they might prefer another. If that breaks you, then maybe you're in the wrong profession.
Teams have known since their owners agreed to the CBA that a player doesn't have to sign and they have a right to walk if they wait it out even if they would prefer that player sign with their team. If that breaks them, then maybe they're in the wrong business.

pekka55

Dec 21, 2023
Teams have known since their owners agreed to the CBA that a player doesn't have to sign and they have a right to walk if they wait it out even if they would prefer that player sign with their team. If that breaks them, then maybe they're in the wrong business.
Sure, it's still a bitch move though. Two things can be true at once.

Reactions: deleted user

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Gauthier played Center at the WJC, fyi
He'll have to out perform Carlsson, McTavish, and Zegras (who all have played C at the NHL) to do that in Anaheim. Not saying it's impossible, but it'll be difficult to get that chance.

Sold low? For this to be an even trade Drysdale will need to be a top pair/#1 D. Cutter will be a 1C in the league
I hope Cutter does. But I'm always skeptical of guys until they prove it at the NHL level (maybe I'm just pessimistic of Ducks prospects). Drysdale most nights has been the Ducks best D when he's played (I know, not saying much). I think he will be a top pair guy for a long time. You can see flashes of it now. The question will be if he can consistently do it to be a #1 guy.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Not the same.

Most of the players that use the 4 year rule leveled uo in year 3 or 4. Most come to nothing in the NHL.

Blake Wheeler and Justin Shultz are the only two I can think of. Maybe another 2 or 3 out their.

But Cutter needs another two years to do that. He's not going to sit in college hockey and lose millions to do it.
Adam Fox is the poster child for it, imo. But a good amount others. Kevin Hayes, Jimmy Vesey, Mike Reilly, Will Butcher, Alex Kerfoot

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
It's still a bit of a bitch move. Players have known since they were 13 years old that they might get drafted by some team even though they might prefer another. If that breaks you, then maybe you're in the wrong profession.

Gen Z is f***ing soft and coddled. Maybe this is why none of the newer superstars have won anything in the playoffs. They feel too entitled to actually put everything on the line for their team and their fans.
Why is it a bitch move to say this is not the situation I want to be in, and move to put yourself in a situation you want to be in.

This isnt a Gen Z thing. Eli manning did it 2 decades ago, lindros did it 3. A handful of nhl prospects in the last decade.

Reactions: Ail and Speedtrials

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Why is it a bitch move to say this is not the situation I want to be in, and move to put yourself in a situation you want to be in.

This isnt a Gen Z thing. Eli manning did it 2 decades ago, lindros did it 3. A handful of nhl prospects in the last decade.
Are you Cutter Gauthier or his dad? Lol

Reactions: Samhockey3

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Sure it is.

The story is that he refused to see them. No word on if his representation was there. Which given the story would be relevant.

He was not an employee, he was within his rights to say no.

Flyers had the option to call his bluff and force him to stay in college and become a UFA, likely costing him a few million long term.

They chose to trade him before word got out, while value is high.

All parties acted within their rights of the CBA. Only one of those parties had no influence on the CBA.
They used the 5th overall pick on this turd because he told them he wanted to play there. Less than a year later, he said he doesn't.

No one said he didn't have the right to do so. But it's anyone else's right to think the kid is an a-hole for changing his mind less than a year after the Flyers invested that much into him.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He'll have to out perform Carlsson, McTavish, and Zegras (who all have played C at the NHL) to do that in Anaheim. Not saying it's impossible, but it'll be difficult to get that chance.
Sure but it’s not like having a guy capable of doing both playing on the wing is a bad thing. You need good players on the wing too lol.

Reactions: lwvs84

pekka55

Dec 21, 2023

Humility is a good thing. I mean I get it, with a name like Cutter the guy probably has had one hell of a privileged life with rich parents etc.

I just don't like it when people that haven't yet earned it start to act like a diva. Earn it first, then you can act like a diva if you want.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Adam Fox is the poster child for it, imo. But a good amount others. Kevin Hayes, Jimmy Vesey, Mike Reilly, Will Butcher, Alex Kerfoot
Fox was signed under his initial draft rights if I remember correctly. Traded to Carolina, than Rangers. Because he wouldn't sign. Just like this case.

Others you mentioned are bit part players that fall into the come to nothing I mentioned. Small careers.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Fox was signed under his initial draft rights if I remember correctly. Traded to Carolina, than Rangers. Because he wouldn't sign. Just like this case.

Others you mentioned are bit part players that fall into the come to nothing I mentioned. Small careers.
Not sure what you mean, Fox was drafted in 2016 by the Flames, had his rights traded to the Hurricanes (after the Flames were told by Fox he wouldn't sign), and told the Canes he wouldn't sign and so they traded him to his preferred destination, the Rangers, because he would have gone back for a 4th year at Harvard and signed with them anyways otherwise.

Regardless of whether the others became stars or not, it doesn't change that they were in demand prospects at the time. Obviously, statistically, most prospects turn into "bit part players" regardless.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Sure but it’s not like having a guy capable of doing both playing on the wing is a bad thing. You need good players on the wing too lol.
I agree, Ducks have been hit hard by injuries and basically haven't had a full lineup in a year and a half. If/when Cutter becomes a top 6 forward, the Ducks will have 4 to 6 centers. Not a bad problem to have (until contracts come up). If he becomes an elite top line forward, the Ducks absolutely take this trade. Ducks are able to draft good D outside of the top 10, forwards not so much.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Humility is a good thing. I mean I get it, with a name like Cutter the guy probably has had one hell of a privileged life with rich parents etc.

I just don't like it when people that haven't yet earned it start to act like a diva. Earn it first, then you can act like a diva if you want.
Where wasn't he humble? He didn't come out in the media and say anything. Unlike the Fkyers FO who mentioned JD Drew being hit by batteries.

The Flyers had enough leverage to tell him to f*** off and play for them. They chose not to. All within their rights

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
You get one shot at your NHL career. It's a fleeting opportunity and it can go quickly. Torts is the worst thing that you could do for a young skilled offensive minded forward (the kind of player every non-Torts coached team wants to acquire as foundational pieces for their franchises).

If Torts is the Flyers Head Coach when Michkov comes over, I predict it'll be one season before Michkov is back in the KHL. The Torts disciples on here (there are many) will declare Michkov a selfish diva. Torts likely won't last much longer beyond that before he's gone. But either way, it won't be good for the Flyers and it won't be good for Michkov. I guarantee it.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Not sure what you mean, Fox was drafted in 2016 by the Flames, had his rights traded to the Hurricanes (after the Flames were told by Fox he wouldn't sign), and told the Canes he wouldn't sign and so they traded him to his preferred destination, the Rangers, because he would have gone back for a 4th year at Harvard and signed with them anyways otherwise.

Regardless of whether the others became stars or not, it doesn't change that they were in demand prospects at the time. Obviously, statistically, most prospects turn into "bit part players" regardless.
Just talking passed each other I think because I was brief. I was speaking about the result, you the threat.

I was saying the going UFA from college happens occasionally, but rarely gets a good player. Wheeler and Schultz had notable careers. Might be a few others.

Fox is a notable player, who used the threat of going UFA to get traded somewhere he'd sign. T hose were his original drafting rights.. Small distinction, but is in line with what Cutter did.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Did not see this coming tbh, i wonder what’s the full story and the decision why exactly he refused to sign for Flyers.

Also lol at people calling him a bitch and a diva over this, hockey players like all human beings have all the rights in the world to influence where they play, it’s their life and career and they don’t owe the fans or the teams anything, they’re not objects that don’t get a say in who they work for.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
We'll I'm sure he's made many new fans not lol. 'd be curious to find out what his issue with signing in Philly was.

Some of the common reasons I don't think would apply here (eg no Canadian market, no small market, no contenders for lack of playing time, no perpetually rebuilding teams etc).

Time will tell.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Based on his time in Anaheim, I see Drysdale as more of a 2nd pairing type D. His skating is beautiful but his size is always going to work against him. He doesn't have the dynamic offensive element to his game of a Q Hughes or Makar. He can run a PP but doesn't have a threatening shot. He'll definitely play in the NHL for the next 10-12 years but keep your expectations realistic as a 2nd pairing D and you'll be happy with him.

pekka55

Dec 21, 2023
You get one shot at your NHL career. It's a fleeting opportunity and it can go quickly. Torts is the worst thing that you could do for a young skilled offensive minded forward (the kind of player every non-Torts coached team wants to acquire as foundational pieces for their franchises).

If Torts is the Flyers Head Coach when Michkov comes over, I predict it'll be one season before Michkov is back in the KHL. The Torts disciples on here (there are many) will declare Michkov a selfish diva. Torts likely won't last much longer beyond that before he's gone. But either way, it won't be good for the Flyers and it won't be good for Michkov. I guarantee it.
Oh boohoo, 99% of people in the world has had a bad boss. That's life, you just deal with it. You don't start to cry like a little bitch about it. Grow some balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad