Confirmed Trade: [ANA/PHI] Cutter Gauthier for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
I was a little bit indignant at the nerve of this move but then i remembered Torts is head coach of Philly and I've gotta say I'm proud of this Cutter Gauthier kid, good head on his shoulders

Reactions: duckpuck

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Flyers could have told him to pound sand, and sit in juniors or Europe costing him millions of dollars.

Next team might.

It's not like he got sent to a contender. Rebuilds with great prospect pools fail often. Probably more often then they are succesful.

NHL teams have enough leverage to fight back if they choose to.
Lots of these players come from well off families with stage type parents. If the player doesn’t blink the team loses. Tbh I don’t have much sympathy for players with million dollar contracts. I watch for the team, not the players at the end of the day.

Reactions: themilosh

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
who also shows some clear signs of mellowing as he ages
He benched their leading scorer last season (an objectively horrible analytics move) and then they settled for a 6th round pick for him. He scratched Morgan Frost 11 times, he'll probably be leaving soon as well. Tort is who he is. Buyer beware.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
What is the difference between Toronto and Anaheim next year?

Anaheim (20M $)
Gauthier McTavish Vatrano
Zegras Carlsson Terry

Toronto (53M $)
Marner Matthews Nylander
Bertuzzi Tavares Domi

Yes and right now ANA is bottom 3 in the league TOR top 10. stockpiling young players is good but when you re about to get your 6th top 10 pick in 6 years, not sure you re doing this right

Reactions: pekka55

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Ducks..

You guys keep drafting top end d-men, or acquiring good d-men
and then trading them away for big goofy forwards...
never change your stripes... never change

Then those d-men become stars elsewhere (as they were projected)
or otherwise excelled and you guys stay in mediocrity, or keep on sucking

i feel for you Ducks fans

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Just a reminder to those of you who don't follow the Ducks (basically almost the entire hockey world). Last year the Ducks had the same thing happen to them. They drafted Henry Thrun, who played at Harvard. Near the end of his senior year in college Thrun told the Ducks that he would not sign with them. The Ducks traded him to San Jose for a 3rd round draft choice. Not much, but a lot better than having Justin Schultz jilt them, leaving them with nothing. Thrun is playing with the Sharks, for what that is worth this year.

I think that this will happen more and more with college based hockey players. They have a way to force a team that they don't want to sign with to trade them. Using that way is fair. However, it is why I personally favor drafting players from the Juniors or from overseas.

Drysdale is clearly a top four defenseman, with the ability to run a power play. He is a very useful player. His disadvantage is that he is on the smaller side and cannot successfully keep players away from the front of the net. So far in his career he is injury prone, but there is nothing to say that will continue.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Weird being on the opposite side of it. It's usually prospects forcing their way out of Anaheim. Even if Ducks win this trade, I don't like prospects forcing their way out. At least he didn't keep telling them he'd sign them ghost them a week before the signing deadline.

Anyways, I think the Ducks have up on Drysdale too early/sold low. He'll get past these injuries and I think he'll be a very good D (probably a #2/3 on a contender). I understand why Anaheim made the move, but not sure I like it. I need to see more highlights of Cutter and hopefully there's more to the story than "I didn't want to play against my favorite team's cross town rival." D for winger isn't a good move unless the winger is levels better. Several posters (who I assume watch him a bit?) have said he has low IQ which worries me. Luckily, Gauthier isn't going to be expected to carry his line, if he's a goal scorer he's probably going on Carlsson's wing.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He benched their leading scorer last season (an objectively horrible analytics move) and then they settled for a 6th round pick for him. He scratched Morgan Frost 11 times, he'll probably be leaving soon as well. Tort is who he is. Buyer beware.
He wants his teams to play certain style. His style works. They’ll survive the loss of Frost. Are you defending Hayes? He’s a terrible fit for Torts. They already survived that just fine.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Flyers made the best of a bad situation and got good value, Ducks got a potential high end prospect they liked better. Everyone has already won for now. Sucks to lose a high end pick like that so I feel for Philly fans and hope Drysdale stays healthy and lives up to his billing. He’s also there now and more developed vs waiting a couple of years.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Many of the leagues coaches won’t be where they are in two years. Avoiding Philly when they have a coach with a known shelf life who also shows some clear signs of mellowing as he ages seems next level immature - especially in those advising him. Because of that I highly doubt this was because of Tort. That rumor is right up there with Mom’s and Corey Perry.

Gauthier probably turns pro this year if Torts is not his coach. What other reason can you propose for why he changes his mind about Philly after the draft? The Torts evidence is circumstantial - but what have you got? What else changed?

And I can fully understand a young player not wanting to play for Torts. He's often a real jerk and seems to have a problem with the younger guys.

Exactly. Gauthier isn't buying into that.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Weird being on the opposite side of it. It's usually prospects forcing their way out of Anaheim. Even if Ducks win this trade, I don't like prospects forcing their way out. At least he didn't keep telling them he'd sign them ghost them a week before the signing deadline.

Anyways, I think the Ducks have up on Drysdale too early/sold low. He'll get past these injuries and I think he'll be a very good D (probably a #2/3 on a contender). I understand why Anaheim made the move, but not sure I like it. I need to see more highlights of Cutter and hopefully there's more to the story than "I didn't want to play against my favorite team's cross town rival." D for winger isn't a good move unless the winger is levels better. Several posters (who I assume watch him a bit?) have said he has low IQ which worries me. Luckily, Gauthier isn't going to be expected to carry his line, if he's a goal scorer he's probably going on Carlsson's wing.
Gauthier played Center at the WJC, fyi

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Here comes all the bitter Flames fans with the “See, I told you about those dastardly American college players” line of thinking.

An adult should have free autonomy to live where they want in their own country. Period. Why does North American sports force them into this? You don’t see this with football (soccer).
I can't tell if you're serious or not? With this line of thinking there's no league, there's no major sports period. There's 2 or 3 teams winning it all every year, there's no parity

Reactions: karlstegger

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I wouldn’t have traded Drysdale, the kid is a young Brian Leetch

I like Drysdale a lot, but no. He has absolutely elite skating ability and high end skills, but he plays a more ... conservative(?) style than you'd expect. He's a really smart player but he makes decisions and sees the ice like a smart 2 way guy as opposed to a dynamic high end offensive type. Leetch had unreal offensive instincts and creativity that was rare in NHL history. Drysdale hasn't yet shown that "magic" creativity.

I don't think he'll disappoint though. It's a stylistic thing, is all.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago

Sold low? For this to be an even trade Drysdale will need to be a top pair/#1 D. Cutter will be a 1C in the league

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Turcotte’s had two or three serious injuries (including concussions) but has never requested a trade. I don’t see the comparison at all.
I'm talking about him turning out to be a bust like Turcotte. I'm sure looking back if the Kings could have swapped him for a Drysdale level player they'd be extremely happy right about now. Drysdale is a known quantity at this point (injury plagued mind you) but he already has a 30 pt season under his belt.

Reactions: BringTheReign

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Lots of these players come from well off families with stage type parents. If the player doesn’t blink the team loses. Tbh I don’t have much sympathy for players with million dollar contracts. I watch for the team, not the players at the end of the day.
Kinda proving my point. You don't care about the players. You care about the crest.

They care about themselves, and their career prospects.

Which is why I tend to lean players rights. Lots of careers are ruined by bad situations.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Just a reminder to those of you who don't follow the Ducks (basically almost the entire hockey world). Last year the Ducks had the same thing happen to them. They drafted Henry Thrun, who played at Harvard. Near the end of his senior year in college Thrun told the Ducks that he would not sign with them. The Ducks traded him to San Jose for a 3rd round draft choice. Not much, but a lot better than having Justin Schultz jilt them, leaving them with nothing. Thrun is playing with the Sharks, for what that is worth this year.

I think that this will happen more and more with college based hockey players. They have a way to force a team that they don't want to sign with to trade them. Using that way is fair. However, it is why I personally favor drafting players from the Juniors or from overseas.

Drysdale is clearly a top four defenseman, with the ability to run a power play. He is a very useful player. His disadvantage is that he is on the smaller side and cannot successfully keep players away from the front of the net. So far in his career he is injury prone, but there is nothing to say that will continue.
Not the same.

Most of the players that use the 4 year rule leveled uo in year 3 or 4. Most come to nothing in the NHL.

Blake Wheeler and Justin Shultz are the only two I can think of. Maybe another 2 or 3 out their.

But Cutter needs another two years to do that. He's not going to sit in college hockey and lose millions to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad