Confirmed Trade: [ANA/PHI] Cutter Gauthier for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Objection, relevance?
Where someone was talking about ill will towards a player doing this and you said not his employer. Maybe I followed the wrong post line but I was under the impression that you were saying Flyer fans shouldn’t be mad at him

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Where someone was talking about ill will towards a player doing this and you said not his employer. Maybe I followed the wrong post line but I was under the impression that you were saying Flyer fans shouldn’t be mad at him
They can feel however they want, doesn't mean he owed them anything.

• Haha
Reactions: Cas and Xirik

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Can these guys actually make the NHL before dicating their way to different teams? This is like if I was offered a job by someone and then just after I accepted a slightly better job came along and I ghosted the first person

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Damn I think the Ducks might regret this. They feel flush with young D right now but it‘s early and some of them won’t end up taking the next step, the question is how many. But Cutter does look very promising and he has the size all GMs seem to be craving. What a fun trade to analyze!

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Damn I think the Ducks might regret this. They feel flush with young D right now but it‘s early and some of them won’t end up taking the next step, the question is how many. But Cutter does look very promising and he has the size all GMs seem to be craving. What a fun trade to analyze!
Nah they traded Drysdale because he has health issues. Often hurt. It's why the 2nd was there

Reactions: bracer028

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Can these guys actually make the NHL before dicating their way to different teams? This is like if I was offered a job by someone and then just after I accepted a slightly better job came along and I ghosted the first person
Players drafted are held under the Reserve List until they either sign a contract or a certain amount of time expires depending on where the player was drafted from, in the case of Gauthier, until August 15, 2026.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
You wouldn’t be upset if Bedard told the Blackhawks he wasn’t going to play for them so don’t draft him?
I'm never upset when a player uses their CBA rights to do what's best for them.

If Bedard wanted to not play for Chicago, Chicago had two options.

1)Trade hin for a big return
2)Force him to sit out two years playing in the CHL or overseas and cost himself 10 million+ dollars long term.

Choice would be Bedards.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
It's not like that. At all.

It's more like all the jobs in your field, held a 3 day conference and decided where you were going to go.

Both the team and the player have rights per the CBA that give each some leverage in this situation.

Philly could have force Cutter to lose millions by not signing, Cutter could have gone UFA had he waited long enough.

Each side has their choice.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Unfortunately none of us know it's only speculation until he comments. We went thru this with Justin Schultz but the main difference was he lied to Anaheim until the very end, atleast Gauthier was honest with his intentions and Philly got value for him

While I understand Philly fans don't like being rejected by a college player, the reality is Gauthier and his agent did the team a huge favor by letting the team know early and remaining quiet so that Philly could negotiate a trade. Philly got a haul, particularly when compared to other collged guys who were traded for next to nothing.

Philly management did a really good job here. But the comments immediately after the trade make them look petty.

Cutter lied to them at the Draft causing them to use a crucial 5th overall pick on him. Then he changed his mind a few months later. Its a pretty shitty thing to do.

Things change. Like, for example, a team hiring a notorious jerk like Torts - who often targets young players - would have a real impact on a prospects thinking.

And unlike Philly management which is throwing Gauthier under the bus, Gauthier and his agent have said nothing. They easily could have said something like "we didn't think Philly offered the best development path for Cutter" or "He didn't want to play for Torts because he's a jerk". They also could have leaked the trade demand, thereby gutting the Flyers return.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I just don’t think it would be good for the league if top prospects were choosing their own destination to some extent
He still didn't choose his destination, to our knowledge. Just moved to a different one that's also bad.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Idk

Mintyukov Vaaks luneau and lacombe have already showed nhl talent.

Zellweger looks promising…. You have a few other guys with nhl upside…. And we’ll be drafting top 5 this year… which could end up with another high potential dmen(like Dickinson)

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
He still didn't choose his destination, to our knowledge. Just moved to a different one that's also bad.
I just think it’s a slippery slope in a league that probably needs parity to survive. It’s obviously not happening now but what if it sets a precedent where players don’t want to go to bad teams?

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Nah they traded Drysdale because he has health issues. Often hurt. It's why the 2nd was there
Health undoubtedly played a role. Drysdale has looked really impressive at points and he was already making an impact, but health is a major X factor in the development of any young player.

The Puckhound

Jan 24, 2019
Huge trade! Have to say-Gauthier hasn't come off well with the information we have thus far. Crazy to see how quickly the relationship deteriorated with such a high pick. Skipping development camp and refusing to even meet with them in Sweden seems pretty arrogant and classless though.

If I remember correctly Friedman stated on a 32 thoughts this summer/year stating that maybe Drysdale was a little unhappy at the Ducks handling of him last year in relation to his injury and a bonus related to games played. Makes you wonder if he was disgruntled as well. Could be a good trade for both teams and players in the end. I feel like the drama is far from over with this one lol

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
While I understand Philly fans don't like being rejected by a college player, the reality is Gauthier and his agent did the team a huge favor by letting the team know early and remaining quiet so that Philly could negotiate a trade. Philly got a haul, particularly when compared to other collged guys who were traded for next to nothing.

Philly management did a really good job here. But the comments immediately after the trade make them look petty.

Things change. Like, for example, a team hiring a notorious jerk like Torts - who often targets young players - would have a real impact on a prospects thinking.

And unlike Philly management which is throwing Gauthier under the bus, Gauthier and his agent have said nothing. They easily could have said something like "we didn't think Philly offered the best development path for Cutter" or "He didn't want to play for Torts because he's a jerk". They also could have leaked the trade demand, thereby gutting the Flyers return.
Many of the leagues coaches won’t be where they are in two years. Avoiding Philly when they have a coach with a known shelf life who also shows some clear signs of mellowing as he ages seems next level immature - especially in those advising him. Because of that I highly doubt this was because of Tort. That rumor is right up there with Mom’s and Corey Perry.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Idk

Mintyukov Vaaks luneau and lacombe have already showed nhl talent.

Zellweger looks promising…. You have a few other guys with nhl upside…. And we’ll be drafting top 5 this year… which could end up with another high potential dmen(like Dickinson)
I agree, Ducks have multiple lottery tickets here and you have to think they will hit somewhere. But a number of them won’t get anywhere close to their upside, that’s just the way it works.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
It happens in real life. People takes a job and then within a week another job gets back to them and they just ghost current employer.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I just think it’s a slippery slope in a league that probably needs parity to survive. It’s obviously not happening now but what if it sets a precedent where players don’t want to go to bad teams?
Flyers could have told him to pound sand, and sit in juniors or Europe costing him millions of dollars.

Next team might.

It's not like he got sent to a contender. Rebuilds with great prospect pools fail often. Probably more often then they are succesful.

NHL teams have enough leverage to fight back if they choose to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad