Confirmed Trade: [ANA/PHI] Cutter Gauthier for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Apparently twitter is saying that Flyers journalists are saying he was really good friends with Kevin Hayes. Wild if Hayes salted the earth for the Flyers with this guy.
A guy that also has credibility re: arguing to just stay in college and pick your spot.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
He's like the same size as Makar and Hughes. Not saying he's on the level of those guys but high level offensive skill and IQ is always a hot commodity in the NHL. I get that injuries are a concern but he has franchise Dman upside, those guys don't grow on trees. Gauthier is a great return but I personally value the Dman over the forward if all else is equal especially in Anaheim's case where they're already rich at forward.
Drysdale looks a lot smaller than Makar, despite their official heights and weights. He needs to get stronger. The skill and speed is there if he can stay healthy and put it all together. He needs to be paired with a physical LHD, Fowler was not a good partner for him.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
I think there's a difference between not being a winner and wanting to pick your spot. As a Kings fan I look at Jeff Carter. Never wanted anything to do with Columbus, came to LA and was an absolute stud, playoffs included.

I do get what you are saying, but I just appreciate the more modest and honorable types that respect the draft process and let their game do the talking. And not start making demands before they've even played a single nhl game. Carter is a bad example since he had already played bunch of years in the team that drafted him.

Plenty of players way better than Gauthier have played and won in franchises that were far worse shape than the Flyers. Who knows how this will turn out, but to me this just seems like a huge red flag that could cause problems for Anaheim down the road.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
I mean, in the old school days, players could sign wherever they wanted to be developed. So, they could easily avoid teams they didn't trust with their development.
That was prehistoric times, though. Otherwise, why have a draft at all? They brought in changes with the draft, and the teams had way too much of a grip on players. So with the NHLPA and CBA they made big adjustments to it over time, especially in the 90's. This kind of thing really reeks of self-entitlement and again, think of the chaos if every draftee did this. Might as well not have an NHL anymore. It' stinks to high heaven, IMO.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I do get what you are saying, but I just appreciate the more modest and honorable types that respect the draft process and let their game do the talking. And not start making demands before they've even played a single nhl game. Carter is a bad example since he had already played bunch of years in the team that drafted him.

Plenty of players way better than Gauthier have played and won in franchises that were far worse shape than the Flyers. Who knows how this will turn out, but to me this just seems like a huge red flag that could cause problems for Anaheim down the road.
Less about how good a team the flyers are and more about we all know the pattern where Torts needs everyone to know he’s the real star of the team and scratches a player for not dumping the puck in that one time in favor of a 26 year old career AHLer that plays system hockey.

Reactions: Rich Nixon

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
As insane as this trade is, I really don't understand why the Ducks would trade Drysdale for a forward.

Mintyukov is legit. Zellwegger is knocking at the door and they have Luneau in the system as well. Add a high pick in a draft loaded with quality dmen this year and I can see how it makes sense for them

Also Zegras is overrated

Reactions: HawksFan86

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That was prehistoric times, though. Otherwise, why have a draft at all? They brought in changes with the draft, and the teams had way too much of a grip on players. So with the NHLPA and CBA they made big adjustments to it over time, especially in the 90's. This kind of thing really reeks of self-entitlement and again, think of the chaos if every draftee did this. Might as well not have an NHL anymore. It' stinks to high heaven, IMO.
I don't think if you aren't under contract, a team should dictate you. If you don't feel comfortable with the development path laid out by the team that drafted you. Teams get mulligans, players don't get mulligans on their career.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Mintyukov is legit. Zellwegger is knocking at the door and they have Luneau in the system as well. Add a high pick in a draft loaded with quality dmen this year and I can see how it makes sense for them

Also Zegras is overrated
Not sure what this has to do with anything but I’ll bite. He’s not overrated at all as long as you have normal expectations.

He’s a very talented forward, steadily improving his 2 way game and should be a point per game player and very dangerous on the PP.

They didn’t get Cutter because of anything to do with Zegras.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Cutter is still a mystery box at the NHL level. Drysdale can’t stay healthy. Could very well end up a nothing trade, but is huge right now. Also the secrecy was next level.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
When you’re loaded with D prospects, you can make deals like this.

Unfortunately, the team who gets the forward, usually regrets it later on. We’ll see. Verbeek must love Gauthier.

Btw, Drysdale was horrible last night for the Ducks. Like visibly bad, which surprised me.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I think Anaheim is pretty dumb for doing a straight up swap, let alone adding a decent 2nd.

at 19, Drysdale had a very very good season considering the team and his age. If he can do that at 19, I like his chances at being a high impact Dman in 2-3 years.

Hate to see Philly making good moves of late. (Cashing in on overrated Provorov, getting Walker for nothing)

Reactions: LesCanadiens
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad