Confirmed Trade: [ANA/PHI] Cutter Gauthier for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I understand your point, but I don't agree. Players should suck it up and be happy they are in the NHL until they fulfil their ELC obligations and then maybe demand a move. I'm unashamedly old-school that way. Just think what a mess the league would become if this is abused. Maybe Mathews becomes a Coyote. ;)

And if you think about it. if Lindros stays with Quebec, they become the Avs, and he gets a couple cups. And maybe never gets taken out by Stevens (not playing so many times vs the Devils in the west).
I mean, in the old school days, players could sign wherever they wanted to be developed. So, they could easily avoid teams they didn't trust with their development.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Honestly the more I look at this, the more confused I am for both sides. Why do the Ducks need another forward? Why do the Flyers want to trade a recent #5 pick for a guy who has played in 18 games in the last 2 years combined? It's just odd.
The Ducks need goal scoring. Zegras, McTavish, and Carlsson are playmakers.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We got a small RHD who gets injured a lot, yay.

A lot of Philly fans were hyped to hell about Gauthier after the WJC. They are losing their minds on Twitter

Drysdale is going to be very good, disappointed he had to be the one, but Ducks need scoring up front, badly. This had to be done. They have one of the deepest D prospect pools in the league, so were able to do it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Friedman said it happened after he kept ducking their meetings that he finally told them
just tell them
stop avoiding them

I mean that's pretty shitty on his end. I don't blame him for saying he didn't want to play there, but just own up to it.

The Ducks need goal scoring. Zegras, McTavish, and Carlsson are playmakers.

The Ducks also seem like they need defense because their defense is ass.

Their prospect pool may be strong on defense, but as a fan of a team who had a "top D prospect pool" once upon a time, they don't all pan out.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Atleast Drysdale has a good IQ and can skate the puck out of danger.

Flyers needed a #1 RHS that can play big minutes including the PP.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Holy Jumpin’ was not expecting to see either of these names in an in-season trade, let alone for one another.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
To me that kind of "they need me more than I need them" / "I'm the talent and need to be treated as such" attitude is not what winners are made with, but something that usually leads to team chemistry and off ice problems.
I think there's a difference between not being a winner and wanting to pick your spot. As a Kings fan I look at Jeff Carter. Never wanted anything to do with Columbus, came to LA and was an absolute stud, playoffs included.

I think it's the guys who chase the money over winning that should be questioned more. Good for chasing the bag, but those are the types I don't associate with winning.

Reactions: Voight

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I mean that's pretty shitty on his end. I don't blame him for saying he didn't want to play there, but just own up to it.

exactly, he can say I aint signing

Flyers were kinda wondering what the heck is going on, we're being ghosted by this cat right in front of us.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Absolutely insane that a 5th overall pick could just walk out on their team with no mechanism for the team or any compensation process other than a shitty 2nd round pick. Not a serious league.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Hard to be a franchise d-man when you are undersized and injury prone. Great skater though.
He's like the same size as Makar and Hughes. Not saying he's on the level of those guys but high level offensive skill and IQ is always a hot commodity in the NHL. I get that injuries are a concern but he has franchise Dman upside, those guys don't grow on trees. Gauthier is a great return but I personally value the Dman over the forward if all else is equal especially in Anaheim's case where they're already rich at forward.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Was merely saying you guys are bitter on this topic. I'm bitter on certain topics. We all are.

I find it hilarious when randomly I start hearing boos when we play at the Saddledome once a year. We don't get booed a lot, unless Trouba knocked someone out.

It's not like its a Calgary only thing. Every fanbase boos the players who they draft and then have to trade because the player wants to play somewhere else. If Lafreniere said he didn't want to play for the Rangers when he got drafted and only wanted to play in Montreal he would hear the same thing every game in MSG.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
To me that kind of "they need me more than I need them" / "I'm the talent and need to be treated as such" attitude is not what winners are made with, but something that usually leads to team chemistry and off ice problems.
How many times do we have to go through this? Exercising your right as a college (potential) free agent is not a sign of future character concerns. It’s a business.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Drysdale is a stud, Gauthier was not noticable in the WJC. Lots of secondary assists, wasnt the play driver i noticed 5 more forwards on his own team than him. Then you see how he acted with Lekkerimaki in line and how he has been with the flyers organiation. Wouldnt want this type of player personally. Dont see him as a center in the NHL either. RHD is the most valuable position to fill in hockey.
I saw it exactly the same. Flyers maybe dodged one. I didn't understand the WJC hype around him at all. But he IS a shooter. That alone could carve him a 30-40 goal per year career if his shot translates to the pros. But of course if Drysdale evolves into a dependable RD stud and they draft smartly with what will probably be a high 2nd rounder, Philly wins. If it's true that Gauthier was not going to sign there no matter what, then trading him fresh off the WJC hoopla he got was the smart move.

Reactions: bert

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I have no problem with a prospect letting the team know he wouldn’t sign with them but dodging team reps on multiple occasions is so childish. This is one of the few times I think the phrase “man up” applies. You’re almost 20 years old, be an adult and tell them to their face.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Honestly the more I look at this, the more confused I am for both sides. Why do the Ducks need another forward? Why do the Flyers want to trade a recent #5 pick for a guy who has played in 18 games in the last 2 years combined? It's just odd.
Ducks need wingers more then they need Dmen

Reactions: Deuce22

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I mean, in the old school days, players could sign wherever they wanted to be developed. So, they could easily avoid teams they didn't trust with their development.
Yes but it was effectively regional.

Apparently twitter is saying that Flyers journalists are saying he was really good friends with Kevin Hayes. Wild if Hayes salted the earth for the Flyers with this guy.
K. Hayes the 30 year old dude that still hangs around his old college frat apparently.

Reactions: Voight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad