Blue Jays Discussion: Alright, no more discontent. Just baseball | ST in Mtl: StL @ Tor | Mar 26/27 7pm ET/4pm PT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Today is the last game in Dunedin. :(.We’ll see you next season boys- let’s hope the April vote passes and they stay in Pinellas county-enjoy the concrete and fake greenery.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto

To me with the exception of the infield this looks like they listed the guys who made the opening day roster and then the extras who wont.

Guys like Donaldson and Travis are missing likely to give them mores rest and we know the plan for Biagini to be in AAA so we know he isn't making the roster.

This is my guess based on this potentially meaningless organized list;

C: Martin
1B: Smoak
2B: Travis
SS: Diaz
3B: Donaldson
RF: Grichuk
CF: Pillar
LF: Granderson
DH: Morales

C: Maile
INF: Solarte
INF: Espinosa
OF: Pearce

Happ
Sanchez
Estrada
Stroman
Garcia

Osuna
Oh
Barnes
Axford
Clippard
Loup
Mayza

Notables left off are Tepera, Hernandez, and Gift if you think he was making it.

A shame that Henandez doesn’t crack the roster, but makes sense with Pearce and Grandy around.

Hernandez will be on the team for good come mid season due to someones injury or performance at some point. Really don’t expect much from Granderson and Pearce this season TBH.

Hopefully Pearce can prove me wrong.

Reactions: Dr C

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
So Pearce is a better hitter than Morales historically, recently, and is crushing Morales this spring.

there's no legitimate reason to not have Pearce DHing opening day, Imo.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Last 2yrs

Morales 85wrc+ vRHP, 155wrc+ vLHP
Pearce 109wrc+ vRHP, 133wrc+ vLHP

Pearce should play every day, at DH vRHP and LF vLHP.

Morales should only play at DH vLHP.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
If Morales is only good enough to DH against lefties then its getting harder and harder to justify his role on this team.

I mean, pinch hitting i guess.

Reactions: Kurtz

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
If Morales is only good enough to DH against lefties then its getting harder and harder to justify his role on this team.

I mean, pinch hitting i guess.

I mean, he was a negative value player last year for a reason. He hurts the team, he doesn't help him. Unless somehow he manages to rebound...or just go on a fluke hot streak or something.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I mean, he was a negative value player last year for a reason. He hurts the team, he doesn't help him. Unless somehow he manages to rebound...or just go on a fluke hot streak or something.

I agree, it would be hard to put Smoak Morales and Martin in the 4,5,6 spots.

If this is the everyday lineup

Top 3 are pretty good
7 Granderson
4 Travis
5 Donaldson
Middle makes or breaks the WC
3Smoak
DH Morales/Pearce
2Martin
Bottom 3rd
9Grichuk
8Pillar
6Diaz

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
With Nicolino being claimed by Cincinnati, every single member of that infamous Marlins trade has moved on from either the Marlins or Blue Jays.

Reactions: Hoverhand

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
is this something that may change the way MLB teams deal with prospects? on the radio they were talking like it could, teams will typically go to arb with prospects until a certain age right?

Been happening now for several years. Jon Singleton is still getting paid because of it. The guys on the radio are likely just baiting. Its nothing really new.

All that said...if you're in a fantasy league, buy Scott Kingery shares. He's going to be fun.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I'm not really expecting much from the Jays this year. It seems like too much has to go right for us to make the playoffs. All I hope is that our prospects continue to develop and we get a good haul for our impending free agents at the trade deadline.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I'm not really expecting much from the Jays this year. It seems like too much has to go right for us to make the playoffs. All I hope is that our prospects continue to develop and we get a good haul for our impending free agents at the trade deadline.

If your not expecting much from the Jays this season then you shouldn't be expecting too much from the Red Sox or Yankees either as they have just as many questions surrounding their lineup as the Jays do. The season is a long one, and for the first time in a long time the Jays seem to be covered depth wise better both positionally and in the rotation/bullpen. The Jays should be in the middle of the division race and wild card race all season.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Been happening now for several years. Jon Singleton is still getting paid because of it. The guys on the radio are likely just baiting. Its nothing really new.

All that said...if you're in a fantasy league, buy Scott Kingery shares. He's going to be fun.

ok I thought there would be precedent, they were making out this was unprecedented. thanks

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Well, pretty much everything went wrong last season. So I understand the assumption that the exact same disasters, regardless of their randomness or likelihood of occurrence, occurring once more.

If your not expecting much from the Jays this season then you shouldn't be expecting too much from the Red Sox or Yankees either as they have just as many questions surrounding their lineup as the Jays do. The season is a long one, and for the first time in a long time the Jays seem to be covered depth wise better both positionally and in the rotation/bullpen. The Jays should be in the middle of the division race and wild card race all season.

I admire your optimism, as it provides a nice extreme ying-yang effect to the pessimistic views of some others. That said, the Red Sox and Yankees require "less to go right", or at the very least have more margin for error\things going wrong, to the win the division if one is using 2017's results as a base measure.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Last 2yrs

Morales 85wrc+ vRHP, 155wrc+ vLHP
Pearce 109wrc+ vRHP, 133wrc+ vLHP

Pearce should play every day, at DH vRHP and LF vLHP.

Morales should only play at DH vLHP.

Got to look at it from the other side too;

2017:
Severino vs RHB - 83 tOPS+, .243 wOBA
Severino vs LHB - 120 tOPS+, .287 wOBA

Career:
Severino vs RHB - 93 tOPS+, .282 wOBA
Severino vs LHB - 107 tOPS+, .301 wOBA

Severino is a lot worse vs LHB than he is vs RHB. Just depends how you want to play it/qualify it considering that Pearce is better vs RHP than Morales so you cant go wrong either way. I would play Morales against Severino on opening day considering the success he has had against him - yeah small sample size.

Part of my reason too is that i prefer to give Morales a chance - trot him out there for the DH spot for the next 2 months and let him sink or swim. If he does good then he stays and if not then i have no problem releasing him so we can have more flexibility on the bench to go with the revolving door at DH with perhaps Pearce/Tulo/Martin/Travis/Donaldson. Might even get Hernandez a better look in June onward.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
You are Atkins and Vladdy and Bo's agents come to you today saying they would sign $100M over 10 years - who's signing them?

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

If you think the Yankees and Red Sox have just as many questions as the Blue Jays I don't know what to tell you except I wish I had some prime real estate in the Florida everglades to sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad