All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XIII - the 23 deadline approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Ok my point is with a defensive heavy system i dont see that bringing a guy over is automatically going to give the team some auto score sniper. Dont get me wrong adding another scorer would be great and needed I just don't think if we miss out its like we are gonna get bounced in round one. Too much luck goes into winning the cup and the Canes are a damn good team they way they are
I get what you are saying, but I think the "don't score as much in a heavy defensive system" is overplayed on here and in the media. I don't remember a forward that left here and went on to score more at their next location 5v5 (which is where the defensive structure systems comes into play). Lindholm and Skinner never played in Rod's system and were traded before that. In fact, Lindholm played in the same system under the same coach when traded and his numbers took off because he was playing with better players and he developed.

Trocheck, for instance is scoring at a rate of 0.49 Goals / 60 and 1.73 Points /60 in NY. His numbers in his 2 seasons in Carolina were both higher: 0.87/2.02. and 0.67/1.87

Nino's last two seasons in Carolina were 1.01/1.87. and 1.1/2.27 Goals/points per 60. In NSH, he scored at 1.16/1.73.

In the past, i've looked at other guys like Foegele, McGinn, Haula, etc... and none of them scored better than when they were in Carolina.

Don't get me wrong, I 100% think we need to bring in a guy that is a scorer, and the Canes felt the same way, thus the signing of Pacioretty. I just don't think we have a bunch of guys on this team that would suddenly score 10 more goals 5v5 if they switched teams, nor do I think a guy like Pacioretty or Meier would suddenly have their numbers drop dramatically because they came to Carolina.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
He’s awful no chance

I'm going to get a good laugh from all of you if Klingberg is in fact the defensive pickup, as I've mentioned on here recently. I'm going to personally go in a different direction and say the pickup will be for Mike Reilly and a 3rd round pick. Apparently they're snooping around the left-shot market and Reilly qualifies as that while Klingberg does not.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
He’s awful no chance
He can't be worse than Coghlan, and could help the PP. The Borg has seen something in him in the past and he's on a terrible ducks team. Some players just play uninspired hockey when they are in the basement.

I would be disappointed if he was out target, but not shocked.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Meier could have also communicated that he was not open to extending in Raleigh, like his camp somehow was able to do with Winnipeg. That’d be a reason to not meet what the Devils or Knights are maybe offering.
I don't know how that statement came to the public, but his camp doesn't really need to talk with Winnipeg before his announcing in clear terms that no way no how will I be signing an extension to Winnipeg to shy them away from offering a trade. It's sad that a location is so universally panned but it is what it is.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
What if Carolina was never that team? What if he has no interest in signing here?

It sure sounds like wants to go to Vegas.
you could be correct. Not sure if there is any truth to players not viewing the Canes as an attractive team/market. If Carolina is willing to pay market value to a player, they sign the contract.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I don't know how that statement came to the public, but his camp doesn't really need to talk with Winnipeg before his announcing in clear terms that no way no how will I be signing an extension to Winnipeg to shy them away from offering a trade. It's sad that a location is so universally panned but it is what it is.
Maybe he wanted to go to NY for free like everyone else.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
you could be correct. Not sure if there is any truth to players not viewing the Canes as an attractive team/market. If Carolina is willing to pay market value to a player, they sign the contract.
When the entire old guard NHL community has been trashing the Raleigh market for 25 years, it shouldn't surprise anyone that many players go out of their way to avoid playing here.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I told y'all a week or two ago:

Eric and Marc will be our pickups. If we can't hit big on the deadline, go for ol'reliable and try and appease the fan base emotionally.

Probably would have gotten Nino if we had been informed of the Meier news earlier.

That's a Jim move, not a Waddell/Yorke/Tulsky move. Not a chance.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Maybe he wanted to go to NY for free like everyone else.
I think he got some teams he will extend with, some teams he won't extend with, and then some like Peg that are no, hell no.

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
I think Schmaltz+Chychrun is the play here. Ghost doesn't make sense from a value perspective, and he's not stellar defensively when we already have Burns anchoring the PP.

Probably for 1st + Drury + Morrow.

You get another top 6 F, maybe not the ideal option but the real value is long term with Chychrun. He and Slavin become your defensive anchors. You try to move Skjei at the draft. Then, when the time comes, you do whatever it takes to sign Slavin, and hope Pesce takes a good deal. If not he walks, but you have Nikishin making his way into the league over the next 3 years.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
When the entire old guard NHL community has been trashing the Raleigh market for 25 years, it shouldn't surprise anyone that many players go out of their way to avoid playing here.
I hear you but Dundon has done a lot to change the culture and identity of this team and market. Stadium game being the latest example. RBA seems to be universally loved by players who play for him. That should be a major factor in any player's evaluation of this team.

It's too bad on Meier but time to move on.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Schmaltz & Ghost is where my money is.

Deep down in our hearts we all knew Meier was pie in the sky.

I never once predicted that the Canes would get Meier. I always said that it would be for a player that few are talking about, because that's what they always do. I don't even think it'll be for Schmaltz; I think it'll be for Boeser. No one has Carolina connected to Boeser with the Minnesota rumors running wild, but unlike Minnesota, Carolina actually has the long-term cap to hold the contract in full.

Reactions: DaveG and Chrispy

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
I think Schmaltz+Chychrun is the play here. Ghost doesn't make sense from a value perspective, and he's not stellar defensively when we already have Burns anchoring the PP.

Probably for 1st + Drury + Morrow.

You get another top 6 F, maybe not the ideal option but the real value is long term with Chychrun. He and Slavin become your defensive anchors. You try to move Skjei at the draft. Then, when the time comes, you do whatever it takes to sign Slavin, and hope Pesce takes a good deal. If not he walks, but you have Nikishin making his way into the league over the next 3 years.
They aren’t getting both those players for that package. That would be the package for just chykrun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad