All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XIII - the 23 deadline approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Led Tasso

Jun 2, 2016
got my trade deadline press conference shirt ready

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-26 at 10.23.41 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-26 at 10.23.41 AM.png
    900.9 KB · Views: 2

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
In don't understand what San Jose has to gain by informing teams (or leaking) that we are out on Meier? Maybe they could say "Hey we have a better offer now and we won't accept yours", but isn't that then the borg deciding they are out by not upper theirs? Or maybe they get to the point where they go back to Meier and his agent and he say's there is no way he will extend, so we're not going to let you talk?

If I had to guess Carolina said "here's our final offer - take it or leave it because we aren't waiting until the deadline" and SJ said "OK, bye"

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Or Carolina said "ok bye" after realizing they were wasting their time.
From what I understand we were very frustrated on Friday that nothing had been done since we put out a great offer early in the week. And Waddell was pissed during the game last night, apparently over this.

Wouldn't be surprised if we were being played during this negotiation. Given the personal relationship between the SJ GM and NJ, it's probably likely they were never serious with trading him here if NJ really did want him. And it kept us out of earlier trade talks for Tarasenko, OReilly, etc.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
If I had to guess Carolina said "here's our final offer - take it or leave it because we aren't waiting until the deadline" and SJ said "OK, bye"
Yeah, so still more us making the ultimatum. "This is our best offer, shit or get off the pot" I think it was poorly worded by Lebrun, why wouldn't he just say "Hearing Carolina is out on Meier?" Maybe it was San Jose saying something like we need Jarvis or you're out...

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
f*** Tarasenko.

O'rilley I guess would have been okay, but once again, we've likely sat around kicking tires, him-hawing, and foot swirling until the only thing left is shit no one wants.

Again, it's all bullshit. I'd rather us have done nothing, than something stupid I guess, but it won't surprise me in the least when we end up being the only team in the league whos in contention that takes a f***ing cap dump or rummages thru the trash can and says "oh shit, someone threw away a half eaten steak!"

• Haha
Reactions: The Faulker 27

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
Time to start grasping at straws from whats left after we got whatever'd on everything else of worth.

More Stasny-esque players in bound.. The parade of shit continues lol.

10M Plus will buy a lot of Domis and.... IDK whatever. LOL even Nino is gone.
I hope the lesson to the front office is not: weaponize your cap space, draft picks and prospeccts when you have the chance. The value of cap space and prospects is not static. This year was their chance.

There are no "overpayments" if you win the Cup however to be fair, let's see what happens. Carolina has serious depth issues at forward and lacks a true finisher who plays a 200-foot game. Timo Meier anyone?. If they do not reach the SC finals, this will be the epitaph.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I hope the lesson to the front office is not: weaponize your cap space, draft picks and prospeccts when you have the chance. The value of cap space and prospects is not static. This year was their chance.

There are no "overpayments" if you win the Cup however to be fair, let's see what happens. Carolina has serious depth issues at forward and lacks a true finisher who plays a 200-foot game. Timo Meier anyone?. If they do not reach the SC finals, this will be the epitaph.
Start writing.

Reactions: hockeynjune

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Giving the benefit of the doubt to Carolina, I thought maybe that's what happened. Friedman said a few days ago we had a "very good offer in" for Meier, and so MAYBE the Canes were sick of waiting for Grier and San Jose, and them stringing Carolina along with constantly wanting a bidding war. In effect, Carolina told San Jose to shit or get off the pot already.

Even more important to Carolina since quite a few forwards are already off the market, and thus they're more worried about San Jose just price gouging them only to trade him to New Jersey regardless of how much Carolina offers, and Carolina not having any good backup options to Meier.
From what I understand we were very frustrated on Friday that nothing had been done since we put out a great offer early in the week. And Waddell was pissed during the game last night, apparently over this.
Source for that? I'm assuming that's just speculation from fans.
Wouldn't be surprised if we were being played during this negotiation. Given the personal relationship between the SJ GM and NJ, it's probably likely they were never serious with trading him here if NJ really did want him. And it kept us out of earlier trade talks for Tarasenko, OReilly, etc.
Yep, you can't help but wonder about Grier and San Jose's front office being biased in favor of New Jersey given the strong personal and family ties between the two franchises.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I'll add something else.

If it was an "oh shit!" move, it's highly unlikely that we'd be doing all this f***ing foot dragging. An oh shit move comes earlier, not a day or two before the damn deadline.

tro was feb 20
Skjei was like the 23rd or something.

HydratedByStormBrew

Sep 26, 2022
Rally, NC
If it’s NJ and they give up a Mercer level player, I think we will all breathe a collective sigh of relief.

The FO went out and got Patches for peanuts. They know what the team needs to overcome it’s weakness in the playoffs. I am going to trust the FO to use this advantageous cap space and assets to make a move to keep pace in the EC arms race.

Reactions: DaveG and Sigurd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad