All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XIII - the 23 deadline approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Laine the 8 million dollar 4LW in 5v5 play. Seems plausible. Laine has a great shot but doesn’t do anything else to help a team win. He is jeff skinner without the edge work. Pass

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
The only way that makes sense is if Meier has made it clear to the Sharks that he's only got eyes on Vegas and would be unwilling to sign an extension with either CAR/NJ ... because why would Grier trade him to a division rival when he had the chance to pass him off to multiple Eastern Conference teams (who, by all accounts, have better assets)?
Yeah, agreed.

I do want to say though, that article I linked laid out several reasons why Meier being traded to Vegas is unlikely. Among other things, an NHL scout said how awful Vegas's prospect pool is, and they only have 1 B tier prospect, Lukas Cormier.

From the article:

"So if you’re San Jose Sharks GM Mike Grier, maybe you ask for an unprotected 2024 or 2025 first-rounder, on top of say Cormier and the 2023 first, and roll the dice that the 2024 or 2025 lands in the lottery?"

Is that hypothetical offer much better than St. Louis's offer that San Jose rejected? On the surface at least, that seems very debatable.

Reactions: Brock Anton

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Or, as I stated before, move in a wildly different direction and make a large, last minute offer for Chychrun.

Chychrun is great, but why? He's not going to help us score more goals and trading prime assets just so you can move Calvin de Haan to the press box doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Any move for a d-man is going to be a pure depth piece a la Hakanpaa.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Chychrun is great, but why? He's not going to help us score more goals and trading prime assets just so you can move Calvin de Haan to the press box doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Any move for a d-man is going to be a pure depth piece a la Hakanpaa.

The rationale is easy to explain, at least IMO: the 2024 offseason. Chychrun's presence gives the FO flexibility in the Skjei/Pesce situation.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
If Friedman is right about this (as he said about the Canes and the extension topic, things can change), it's probably because San Jose doesn't want Meier to harpoon trade discussions by making his preference for an extension known. Although curiously, his camp did with Winnipeg. So, it's a bit of a strange situation.
No surprise there. The second Meier heard that Winnipeg is among the suitors, he had his camp publicly say hell no to being shipped to freezing prairie in the only way that is in his control.

Reactions: Chan790

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
The rationale is easy to explain, at least IMO: the 2024 offseason. Chychrun's presence gives the FO flexibility in the Skjei/Pesce situation.
I cannot think of any concern less important right now than that.

It's not worth spending assets and reducing our flexibility to make actually beneficial moves at this TDL, next TDL, and this offseason... for no meaningful gain. It doesn't make us a better team at any point.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I cannot think of any concern less important right now than that.

It's not worth spending assets and reducing our flexibility to make actually beneficial moves at this TDL, next TDL, and this offseason... for no meaningful gain. It doesn't make us a better team at any point.
Chychrun doesn’t make us a better team? Do tell

He would only be tied for 6 in points on the team

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I’m going to hold Dundon to his comments. He sent a clear message to fans that we would be aggressive. A move reminiscent to last years TDL move isn’t going to cut it. Pessimism is contagious.
Like we did for hamilton? I mean I wasn't wanting to pay that either but no one is holding Dundon, the borg, or anyone else to anything. They'll just keep doing what they do and spoon feed us bullshit.

The hockey is good, and the merch is unaffordable, so we are where we wanted to be. Can't bicth too much, but SJ style hockey is closer than it appears in the mirror

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Chychrun doesn’t make us a better team? Do tell

He would only be tied for 6 in points on the team
You can't fix deficiencies upfront by stacking the blueline. It's something that some team tries every few years (going back to when I started watching hockey in the early 1980s) and it never works.

It's less effective than ever since the start of the cap era for teams as the resulting cap imbalance typically exacerbates the problem in future years or necessitates making another move, moving out a defenseman to get the still needed forward.

This is how you spend to the cap and get less competitive in the process.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
The appetite to trade certain players can change over time. Jarvis is likely unpalatable for Meier now, but may not be for Pettersson later, if the team fights the 2 GF/G mark in an elimination series again.
I hope the idea that Pettersson makes the team better than Meier and Jarvis is an idea only you have and not one that the management has.

Plus, hoping he becomes available later so you pass on a great fit now is a way to watch your widow close while doing nothing. Dundon is dead wrong when he thinks that windows are open forever.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
You can't fix deficiencies upfront by stacking the blueline. It's something that some team tries every few years (going back to when I started watching hockey in the early 1980s) and it never works.

It's less effective than ever since the start of the cap era for teams as the resulting cap imbalance typically exacerbates the problem in future years or necessitates making another move, moving out a defenseman to get the still needed forward.

This is how you spend to the cap and get less competitive in the process.
In the new NHL where everyone on the ice scores, adding a top pair defender who adds a good amount offense does help the offense actually score. Adding a 4 million dollar (5% cap hit) defender doesn’t hamper our cap structure short or long term. This isn’t like we trading for a 9 million defender that will put up 25 points.
Add we still have 6 millions this season
Add in we have 30 million in space for next season

So we adding scoring and not hampering our cap structure in the slightest. Now we have another 1st pairing defender to take over when Skjei leaves

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Because paying Jarvis and Nikishin + for Pettersson is an almost 100% no-brainer...because he is a number 1 center. Players that are normally untouchable in a Meier trade will automatically become very touchable in the event of a 1C being available via trade. There are commodities out there that are more frequently available (and as much as I like Meier, a somewhat superior Matt Tkachuk was available for trade not too long ago) and ones that come along once in a blue moon (Pettersson).
Meier AND Jarvis is better than just Pettersson.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
The disappointing thing is that we are in a 2 year period right now where we need to be loading up to make a run for the Cup because we are about to be converting a ton of RFA deals to UFA and we don't really have much in the pipeline to backfill should we decide to move on. We have $10m in cap space, a ton of picks and prospects who really aren't going to contribute at the NHL level for us but probably would elsewhere and still desperately need a goal scorer and it looks like we are probably wasting the opportunity for the 3rd year in a row. Just frustrating, I hope Waddell has a backup plan in place.

And yeah, I had heard last night about this. We were informed during our game that we are out.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Quo Vadimus.

Grab Boeser and a C, or Boeser and a strong 3rd pairing D, and I’m good with this deadline.

Boeser is fine, but I think I’ve talked myself into Schmaltz.

Schmaltz and Gotisbehere, like Friedman hinted at, works for me. Maybe add another pick for some retention on Gotisbehere, so they could grab another forward too…(I still really like Barbashev)

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Boeser is fine, but I think I’ve talked myself into Schmaltz.

Schmaltz and Gotisbehere, like Friedman hinted at, works for me. Maybe add another pick for some retention on Gotisbehere, so they could grab another forward too…(I still really like Barbashev)
Gost is awful defensively. He has some offense but he'd be a train wreck on our 3rd pair with either CDH or Chatfield.

Gost is basically Coghlan with more name recognition.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Gost is awful defensively. He has some offense but he'd be a train wreck on our 3rd pair with either CDH or Chatfield.

Gost is basically Coghlan with more name recognition.

Gostisbehere is a 50pt defenseman. He’s TDA basically but he plays the left side. He’d help the PP immensely. You’re not bringing him in to play top 4 mins.

Comparing him to Coghlan, well, is something

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I want to see what the offer is before I make a judgment. If it is Hughes and Mercer, sure I won’t be mad. If it is 4 firsts, I won’t be mad. If it is a first and Holtz, I’ll be mad.
From what some were predicting yesterday, it'll be something like a 1st, 2nd, 4th, and a B level prospect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad