All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XIII - the 23 deadline approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Frustrating to be the bridesmaid regularly for fans and probably management alike, but that’s how it goes sometimes.

Everything reported up to this moment points to the team being seriously in it. At least the bargain bin narrative has been debunked to an extent.

Doesn’t help for 22-23, but there will be other scorers that become available in the future.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Frustrating to be the bridesmaid regularly for fans and probably management alike, but that’s how it goes sometimes.

Everything reported up to this moment points to the team being seriously in it. At least the bargain bin narrative has been debunked to an extent.

Doesn’t help for 22-23, but there will be other scorers that become available in the future.

Methinks you may underestimate the depths of the faith of the true believers (or would that be nonbelievers?). :sarcasm:

Last edited:

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State

As you posted earlier, the media will be the worst, I suspect. Maybe it will serve as a little extra motivation behind the scenes as they yap away about NY/NJ/Boston.

HydratedByStormBrew

Sep 26, 2022
Rally, NC
As you posted earlier, the media will be the worst, I suspect. Maybe it will serve as a little extra motivation behind the scenes as they yap away about NY/NJ/Boston.
I’m going to hold Dundon to his comments. He sent a clear message to fans that we would be aggressive. A move reminiscent to last years TDL move isn’t going to cut it. Pessimism is contagious.

Reactions: Brock Anton

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY

It's more frustrating to obtain half-measures because that's what was available at the price they want to pay. You can't discount shop and exploit inefficiencies to a Cup. Sometimes you have to just win the bidding war, even if it costs you too much.

A little desperation and overspending every once in a while and a little less "wlog" would be nice. Maier is probably going to NJ...we had better have something bigger than Schmaltz and a 6D up our sleeve.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Even if we don’t go crazy here, im not worried. There will be young players likely available at the draft / at FA time.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

“other scorers that become available in the future”

Hard to envision right now who that would be available in the Meier mold. This seems to be a unicorn opportunity.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Was coming to post this:

Hello Nick Schmaltz or ???

51720413-10302983-image-a-103_1639386059318.jpg

It kinda feels like when this happened on Succession.

Rad ChaLose

Aug 3, 2012
Was coming to post this:

Hello Nick Schmaltz or ???

So I’ve had a few drinks..but Friedman is saying the teams (i.e. Canes) that wanted to do it without an extension are not as likely to trade for him as teams likely to do it…without an extension? That doesn’t seem to differentiate the two parties…am I not getting something here? unless he means the the team that wanted an extension originally (devils) now no longer require the extension?

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
So I’ve had a few drinks..but Friedman is saying the teams (i.e. Canes) that wanted to do it without an extension are not as likely to trade for him as teams likely to do it…without an extension? That doesn’t seem to differentiate the two parties…am I not getting something here? unless he means the the team that wanted an extension originally (devils) now no longer require the extension?

Here’s the clip:

Bascially, it’s unlikely teams that originally wanted an extension before trading for him will not get that. They’ll have to settle for acquiring him as is in terms of contract status. Teams are tired of waiting and pushing the Sharks for a decision.

He didn’t specifically say the Canes were out, but less and less likely they get Meier. Let’s hope Vegas gets him.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
It doesn't help the doom and gloom when Gibson pulls a Saros on the team right before the Meier trade call. I can't wait to go to Canes Twitter tomorrow and see the whining and bitching :sarcasm:
The whining is going to be well earned. I’m tired of spinning every move/non-move we do as this 4D chess genius stuff.

Goal scoring has been the #1 problem for years and it’s incredibly frustrating to see a potential 40-goal scorer in his mid-20’s likely going to a division rival when we more than had the capability to pull it off.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The whining is going to be well earned. I’m tired of spinning every move/non-move we do as this 4D chess genius stuff.

Goal scoring has been the #1 problem for years and it’s incredibly frustrating to see a potential 40-goal scorer in his mid-20’s likely going to a division rival when we more than had the capability to pull it off.
NJ easily can outbid us. our only shot was NJ backing out because no extension was allowed

Reactions: cptjeff and Tryamw

TheRising06

May 29, 2021
What I heard is team that were said to be not interested without an extension are now willing to pay up for him as a rental and work it out later. Hoping a huge overpay is coming if we're not the one.

Reactions: Tryamw

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919

I like most of what this management group has accomplished, but we always seem to outsmart ourselves into not having a chair when the music stops when big game hunting.

Rad ChaLose

Aug 3, 2012
Here’s the clip:

Bascially, it’s unlikely teams that originally wanted an extension before trading for him will not get that. They’ll have to settle for acquiring him as is in terms of contract status. Teams are tired of waiting and pushing the Sharks for a decision.

He didn’t specifically say the Canes were out, but less and less likely they get Meier. Let’s hope Vegas gets him.

thanks..it seems like Elliot’s statement of ”Canes are not as likely” isn’t necessarily correlated with the non-extension piece…just makes it seem like that makes NJ now has the upper-hand

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
“other scorers that become available in the future”

Hard to envision right now who that would be available in the Meier mold. This seems to be a unicorn opportunity.

Meier’s a great fit, but there have been better ones traded recently (Eichel, Tkachuk).

As an example of what could become available later, an even bigger unicorn, Pettersson, has an uncertain future in Vancouver.

If it comes out that they were just looking for a bargain and not serious, I’ll join the chorus. All signs point to them legitimately trying for the player. Sometimes other teams are just better positioned to make a trade.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Meier’s a great fit, but there have been better ones traded recently (Eichel, Tkachuk).

As an example of what could become available later, an even bigger unicorn, Pettersson, has an uncertain future in Vancouver.

If it comes out that they were just looking for a bargain and not serious, I’ll join the chorus. All signs point to them legitimately trying for the player. Sometimes other teams are just better positioned to make a trade.

I like most of what this management group has accomplished, but we always seem to outsmart ourselves into not having a chair when the music stops when big game hunting.

I don't think that's what it is, truly. I said earlier this year that New Jersey was the likeliest Meier destination, specifically for two reasons: 1. The Swiss connection, and 2. because they are the ones that have just exited the cycle of high first after high first for years and now have excess pieces to use on such a player. Both of these are powerful pull factors that are not in Carolina's control.

Reactions: WreckingCrew
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad