All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XIII - the 23 deadline approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
LOL. Told you all you were gonna get blue balls.

We aren't doing shit. W may end up taking a cap dump, etc. I've said all along Meier will go to NJ. I'd say the chances of that are about 85%. We aren't gettig that scorer. We will do some more useless TDL shit like last year.

Enjoy your blueballs. We could have easily done a 1,24, and any prospect. Nope. Blueballs.

Dundon himself said it's too random to make a big sacrifice for. The dude doesn't want to be here. What are you going to do, let him Fox you?

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina

Nepotism and personal connections might help too.

One wonders if that helps New Jersey with their very strong ties to San Jose.

I want to see what the offer is before I make a judgment. If it is Hughes and Mercer, sure I won’t be mad. If it is 4 firsts, I won’t be mad. If it is a first and Holtz, I’ll be mad.
Yeah, if it's for Holtz + a 1st and some filler prospect, we all should be mad IMO. That's so beatable, and would really support the view we weren't ever that serious for getting Meier and players like him.
If that’s all they can get, then Grier is an idiot for turning down 2 1sts + from the Blues.
Again, nepotism and personal connections as a possible factor if New Jersey gets Meier with a weak package.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I want to see what the offer is before I make a judgment. If it is Hughes and Mercer, sure I won’t be mad. If it is 4 firsts, I won’t be mad. If it is a first and Holtz, I’ll be mad.
If they like Holtz (or any other prospect that headlines the deal) better than any of our prospects, I'm not sure what we could do. Obviously you can push Jarvis in at that point, but I don't think the Canes or most teams put a piece like that in for Meier without clarity on his future. I always said NJ could beat us if they wanted, and that wasn't even counting Hughes, Nemec, or Mercer, because I didn't expect teams to include pieces of that level.

As you said, we'll see the final cost. But even then people might whine that we could have beaten it and list a stack of 10 prospects that SJ just may not be that interested in or Jarvis which was probably quite unlikely.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
With the risk of sounding sour like fox about the rowan berries, I wasn't *that* keen on Meier anyway. That RFA contract structure was ruthless and built to bring him into the pending UFA market a year early. I've been for years thinking who is the poor sucker who gets to sort out that QO and felt emotions when the talk started to pick up that it might be us.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC

Canes had to make a run at Timo but the better play to me has always been an upgrade at 2C, KK's recent play notwithstanding. The 4th line as it currently stands will get ground up in the playoffs. KK is it better fit there in the postseason.

It also allows more top 6 line juggling in the playoffs because you simply can't play Svech and KK together, as they are both turnover machines.

Schmaltz in theory can still play center but can't win draws. But outside of Turbo, there are no top 6 wings to take his FO's which means they would always have to play together. If you play Schmaltz on KK's wing, who's demoted to the 4th line? Likely it's Turbo but you still have the same issue with an overmatched 4th line.

Maybe you take a calculated risk with getting Miller? He can win draws, score at ES and on the PP. But those late 30's contract years are tough to swallow.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Quick question for all the "we need a 40 goal scorer or we are done" people. Are you really sure a 40 goal scorer can score 40 goals playing a much more defensive responsible scheme? Or for that matter that Aho or Svech couldn't score 40 goals a year defense be damned?

Personally I think all these top scores would regress here because of the style we play. I also don't see Rod allowing a new guy to come on board and freelance screwing up the system.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
Nepotism and personal connections might help too.

One wonders if that helps New Jersey with their very strong ties to San Jose.

Yeah, if it's for Holtz + a 1st and some filler prospect, we all should be mad IMO. That's so beatable, and would really support the view we weren't ever that serious for getting Meier and players like him.

Again, nepotism and personal connections as a possible factor if New Jersey gets Meier with a weak package.
its the Carolina way. act as the stalking horse on big contract players. always the bridesmaid.

wonder how the conversation between Dundon and Borg went last night after being informed they are out on Meier.

Waddell: Tom, we were informed we are out on Meier but our stalking horse approach seems to have driven the price up by a 2nd round pick and a mid-level prospect.
Dundon: excellent work. Our prospect pool remains intact and our cap space is still pristine. Now we can pivot to Tarasenko, ROR or Horvat.
Waddell: I'll book the tee times at Pinehurst.

• Haha
Reactions: Sigurd and Daeavorn

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Quo Vadimus.

Grab Boeser and a C, or Boeser and a strong 3rd pairing D, and I’m good with this deadline.
I'd rather just use Cap space to add a few 3rd round picks. Boeser is a dud for a legitimate contender. There is a reason Vancouver is giving him away.

Reactions: MinJaBen

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Meier could have also communicated that he was not open to extending in Raleigh, like his camp somehow was able to do with Winnipeg. That’d be a reason to not meet what the Devils or Knights are maybe offering.

Or our front office is not very good at reading the market. That is an explanation that makes more sense given this is not our first rodeo.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Boeser is fine, but I think I’ve talked myself into Schmaltz.

Schmaltz and Gotisbehere, like Friedman hinted at, works for me. Maybe add another pick for some retention on Gotisbehere, so they could grab another forward too…(I still really like Barbashev)

Schmaltz and Ghost are examples of player like Dundon was saying have almost zero real impact in the Playoffs. No need to spend assets and future Cap with more mediocre talent.

Wait for the next Meier or Tkachuk to shake out. Don't waste space on a guy like Schmaltz. Bad defense and doesn't drive play.

Canes had to make a run at Timo but the better play to me has always been an upgrade at 2C, KK's recent play notwithstanding. The 4th line as it currently stands will get ground up in the playoffs. KK is it better fit there in the postseason.

It also allows more top 6 line juggling in the playoffs because you simply can't play Svech and KK together, as they are both turnover machines.

Schmaltz in theory can still play center but can't win draws. But outside of Turbo, there are no top 6 wings to take his FO's which means they would always have to play together. If you play Schmaltz on KK's wing, who's demoted to the 4th line? Likely it's Turbo but you still have the same issue with an overmatched 4th line.

Maybe you take a calculated risk with getting Miller? He can win draws, score at ES and on the PP. But those late 30's contract years are tough to swallow.
Schmaltz is not a Center and will never be a Center. He's bad defensively and one of the worst in the NHL at faceoffs

Miller doesn't fit Dundon's window-less plan. He's an anchor from ages 35-38 at $8 million a year.

Reactions: Svechhammer

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
In don't understand what San Jose has to gain by informing teams (or leaking) that we are out on Meier? Maybe they could say "Hey we have a better offer now and we won't accept yours", but isn't that then the borg deciding they are out by not upper theirs? Or maybe they get to the point where they go back to Meier and his agent and he say's there is no way he will extend, so we're not going to let you talk?

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
I'd rather just use Cap space to add a few 3rd round picks. Boeser is a dud for a legitimate contender. There is a reason Vancouver is giving him away.
don't disagree but we need 1-2 forwards. we have no depth at the moment.

I think the best trade thus far was Orlov and hathaway to the Bruins. Pure rentals but both guys will help them in the playoffs. That would have been a sneaky good move IMO. Eliminate injury concerns on the blueline and add a strong depth forward.

Let's see if Friedman was correct in thinking the Canes would pursue player(s) not viewed as being on the block. Very risky strategy given the deadline but they have executed this strategy in the past.

Reactions: Deon Thompson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad