All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XIII - the 23 deadline approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
If it’s NJ and they give up a Mercer level player, I think we will all breathe a collective sigh of relief.

The FO went out and got Patches for peanuts. They know what the team needs to overcome it’s weakness in the playoffs. I am going to trust the FO to use this advantageous cap space and assets to make a move to keep pace in the EC arms race.
It will be something like 1st + Zetterlund + one of Holtz, Casey or Mukhaweirdname.

Dadonov for Gurianov

Change of scenery

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
It's legit, but I'd rather not say publicly. Send me a message if you want more than 'trust me'
I mean... LOL. They bring it on themselves, sort of. We all know how they operate.

Now the fun part comes. Cap dump, something stupid, or wildly swinging at "distressed assets" like Stasny and Domi because "random and doesnt move the needle"

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
It's legit, but I'd rather not say publicly. Send me a message if you want more than 'trust me'
you have proven to be accurate in the past. I consider your intel legit. It's too bad but mgmt has to learn a painful lesson. Other teams use our offers as stalking horse bids. Meier was the guy IMO to go all-in. Make an offer they can't refuse three weeks ago. attach a deadline to it. That's not Carolina's style.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
you have proven to be accurate in the past. I consider your intel legit. It's too bad but mgmt has to learn a painful lesson. Other teams use our offers as stalking horse bids. Meier was the guy IMO to go all-in. Make an offer they can't refuse three weeks ago. attach a deadline to it. That's not Carolina's style.
If a man hits his thumb with a hammer, How many times does he have to learn the same lesson, LOL.

We all knew this was coming. It's sadly predictable.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

I think we were all in. I get the feeling that SJ wasn't negotiating in good faith with us.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Quick question for all the "we need a 40 goal scorer or we are done" people. Are you really sure a 40 goal scorer can score 40 goals playing a much more defensive responsible scheme? Or for that matter that Aho or Svech couldn't score 40 goals a year defense be damned?

Personally I think all these top scores would regress here because of the style we play. I also don't see Rod allowing a new guy to come on board and freelance screwing up the system.

Sebastian Aho's last 4 seasons (including this one) combined: 124 goals in 254 games. That's an average of 40.03 goals / 82 games so yes, I think a 40G scorer could score 40 in this system.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
From what I understand we were very frustrated on Friday that nothing had been done since we put out a great offer early in the week. And Waddell was pissed during the game last night, apparently over this.

Wouldn't be surprised if we were being played during this negotiation. Given the personal relationship between the SJ GM and NJ, it's probably likely they were never serious with trading him here if NJ really did want him. And it kept us out of earlier trade talks for Tarasenko, OReilly, etc.
Well good if it kept us out of those talks. ROR maybe helps at least at center a bit but generally is a Staal at this point. I’m glad we didn’t get Tarasenko.

The only way I’m even a little sad we didn’t get Meier is if they don’t pay much to get him. Presumably the reasons we are out is no extension and the cost is too much. We’ll see. I’m fine with not paying Timo Meier almost ten million a year when we have Aho and everyone else coming up in contract talks.

I think there’s a shortage of good forwards this deadline, so it’s good we’re a good team without overpaying to add one.

Reactions: DaveG and Clueless

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Schmaltz and Ghost are examples of player like Dundon was saying have almost zero real impact in the Playoffs. No need to spend assets and future Cap with more mediocre talent.

Wait for the next Meier or Tkachuk to shake out. Don't waste space on a guy like Schmaltz. Bad defense and doesn't drive play.

Schmaltz is not a Center and will never be a Center. He's bad defensively and one of the worst in the NHL at faceoffs

Miller doesn't fit Dundon's window-less plan. He's an anchor from ages 35-38 at $8 million a year.
Uh... yeah I explicitly wrote he can't take draws. He does have the skating, the playmaking and the vision to play C, and was a pivot earlier in his career. His defense isn't as bad as your assertion and I guarantee you he averages more time SHTOI than KK does . You would be hamstrung to use him there so I'm certainly not advocating for it but now there is no ideal fit option.

Miller is not ideal either and why I also referenced the back end part of his contract. But you could always move him later. That does fit Dundon's aggressive move criteria.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I think we were all in. I get the feeling that SJ wasn't negotiating in good faith with us.
I've felt Meier was NJ bound all along. The relationship between Fitzgerald, his brother, Grier for 1. the fact that Meier has good friends and countrymen in NJ. The fact that NJ has a much better prospect pool. etc.. It was an uphill battle all along.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
The FO went out and got Patches for peanuts. They know what the team needs to overcome it’s weakness in the playoffs. I am going to trust the FO to use this advantageous cap space and assets to make a move to keep pace in the EC arms race.

I think that trust is misappropriated. Yes, they know the holes. But that is like saying a homeowner who has a leaking pipe knows what needs to be done when they offer the plumber $25 dollars to fix the pipe by rationalizing the copper pipe is only $10 dollars a foot and the hole is just an inch long.

This front office has shown us over and over they don’t read the market well for high value assets.

Reactions: moses malone 12

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
If it’s NJ and they give up a Mercer level player, I think we will all breathe a collective sigh of relief.

I'd be happy with that outcome. However, I think it's even more unlikely with Carolina "out" and it looking like there's just one serious bidder with New Jersey; New Jersey doesn't have to give up as much if they're the only real buyer. It'd truly be a buyer's market in that scenario.

We're probably "out" because we made a final offer/ultimatum and San Jose wasn't happy they couldn't string us along more for a bidding war/they got too greedy.
I hope it is for Cormier or Brisson and it takes them out of the Meier bidding. If Grier is going to be a dick then he should deserve to be dicked over by NJ as the only option left.
I'd also be happy with that at this point.

Reactions: DaveG

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Sebastian Aho's last 4 seasons (including this one) combined: 124 goals in 254 games. That's an average of 40.03 goals / 82 games so yes, I think a 40G scorer could score 40 in this system.
Ok my point is with a defensive heavy system i dont see that bringing a guy over is automatically going to give the team some auto score sniper. Dont get me wrong adding another scorer would be great and needed I just don't think if we miss out its like we are gonna get bounced in round one. Too much luck goes into winning the cup and the Canes are a damn good team they way they are

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
If they like Holtz (or any other prospect that headlines the deal) better than any of our prospects, I'm not sure what we could do. Obviously you can push Jarvis in at that point, but I don't think the Canes or most teams put a piece like that in for Meier without clarity on his future. I always said NJ could beat us if they wanted, and that wasn't even counting Hughes, Nemec, or Mercer, because I didn't expect teams to include pieces of that level.

As you said, we'll see the final cost. But even then people might whine that we could have beaten it and list a stack of 10 prospects that SJ just may not be that interested in or Jarvis which was probably quite unlikely.

We may not have a prospect that is as desirable as Holtz. We've all been really high on Morrow, but we all know he's a big work in progress. Nikishin looks like the real deal, but there's no guarantee he'll be coming over anytime soon. After that, it's a bunch of good, but not great prospects.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

HydratedByStormBrew

Sep 26, 2022
Rally, NC
I think that trust is misappropriated. Yes, they know the holes. But that is like saying a homeowner who has a leaking pipe knows what needs to be done when they offer the plumber $25 dollars to fix the pipe by rationalizing the copper pipe is only $10 dollars a foot and the hole is just an inch long.

This front office has shown us over and over they don’t read the market well for high value assets.
I’m frustrated. Just trying to be a voice of reason in another otherwise underwhelming TDL. They still have time to do something of significance.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
I think possibly Tom and Don got tired of being strung along until the trade deadline and gave SJ a final take it or leave it offer. SJ may have overplayed their hand and the Borg felt the need to move on to other options. Meier may have been unwilling to negotiate an extension and that killed things. I have always thought it more of a possibility to get a player with some term

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
I tried. The neighbors told me the dog was available for petting, but at the last minute sold the dog to another neighbor and now I'm watching them pet and play with the dog I wanted to pet.
giphy.gif

Some needed humor to this deadline drama for us. Thanks for the laugh.

Reactions: DaveG

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
I know Klingberg has been bad, but I wouldn't be shocked if he's out depth d-man pickup. We have been interested in him the past and should be pretty cheap I would think. He at least has to be an upgrade on Coghlan, right?

Reactions: A Star is Burns
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad