All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XIII - the 23 deadline approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
I never once predicted that the Canes would get Meier. I always said that it would be for a player that few are talking about, because that's what they always do. I don't even think it'll be for Schmaltz; I think it'll be for Boeser. No one has Carolina connected to Boeser with the Minnesota rumors running wild, but unlike Minnesota, Carolina actually has the long-term cap to hold the contract in full.
Boeser wouldn’t be a terrible pickup. Kind of a poor man’s Meier.

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
They aren’t getting both those players for that package. That would be the package for just chykrun
I think you could even throw a 2nd and Gunler/Rees/Pono on top and it would still be a smart move for the Canes

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
When the entire old guard NHL community has been trashing the Raleigh market for 25 years, it shouldn't surprise anyone that many players go out of their way to avoid playing here.

Not just that, but if you are a 25 year old, multi-millionaire athlete, where would you want to live/work? Raleigh NC or NYC metro area or Vegas? This is becoming a better market and the team has been getting a much better reputation, but there's nothing wrong with knowing we, right now, can't compete with some of those areas for certain players.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Not just that, but if you are a 25 year old, multi-millionaire athlete, where would you want to live/work? Raleigh NC or NYC metro area or Vegas? This is becoming a better market and the team has been getting a much better reputation, but there's nothing wrong with knowing we, right now, can't compete with some of those areas for certain players.

A lot of them probably wouldn't want NYC for cost-of-living reasons, but above a certain salary point, the lights and prestige of such a market probably outweigh the living cost issues. Vegas has all of the flash and none of the living cost problems, which make it such an attractive combination to many.

Reactions: DaveG

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Boeser wouldn’t be a terrible pickup. Kind of a poor man’s Meier.
Which is fine for improving Carolina's regular season record. It just becomes a problem in the Playoffs when Carolina is full of "poor-man's Meier"s and the other teams have actual Meiers.

The Rangers already had at least 3 players with more offensive talent than anyone on Carolina's roster. And then they added (or are adding) two more additional forwards with more offensive talent than anyone on Carolina's roster. That strategy could explode in NYRs face but on paper at that point Carolina adding Boeser is a fart in the wind.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Which is fine for improving Carolina's regular season record. It just becomes a problem in the Playoffs when Carolina is full of "poor-man's Meier"s and the other teams have actual Meiers.

The Rangers already had at least 3 players with more offensive talent than anyone on Carolina's roster. And then they added (or are adding) two more additional forwards with more offensive talent than anyone on Carolina's roster. That strategy could explode in NYRs face but on paper at that point Carolina adding Boeser is a fart in the wind.

I'm generally skeptical of the idea that top-heavy clubs like the Rangers or Leafs have any sort of staying power. Tampa and Colorado's wins had teams that had a bunch of stars but also depth because of numerous deadline additions. Carolina's roster makeup is similar to Washington (who really only had one star in Ovechkin and a bunch of very good underneath him) and St. Louis when they won a cup except that they're much younger. The Canes IMO have plenty of a shot with there being fewer stars+depth juggernauts this year with the Kadri and Palat departures.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville

Link?

Kane and Tank are not what they were in their prime. Can they still be dynamic? who knows. I'll give you Panarin but hes on par with Aho I dont think he has more offensive talent then Aho. Krieder had one super year and onther then that is at or below Aho's level. Who am I missing?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The team needs more to break their way than others (i.e. special teams), but that can happen.

It’s funny how ‘they’re built for the regular season’ is a common line. That narrative is generally applied to a high powered offensive club that struggles defensively. This is an elite defensive club that struggles to score, particularly on the PP. Just watch, if this is the year, opposing fans will be looking at the team at the end and saying that ‘they were built for the playoffs’.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Link?

Kane and Tank are not what they were in their prime. Can they still be dynamic? who knows. I'll give you Panarin but hes on par with Aho I dont think he has more offensive talent then Aho. Krieder had one super year and onther then that is at or below Aho's level. Who am I missing?
Personally I would say that Panarin, Fox, Zibanejad, Tarasenko and Kane are all more offensively talented than anyone on Carolina. Aho, Svechnikov, Necas and Jarvis could all develop to be in that mix.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
The team needs more to break their way than others (i.e. special teams), but that can happen.

It’s funny how ‘they’re built for the regular season’ is a common line. That narrative is generally applied to a high powered offensive club that struggles defensively. This is an elite defensive club that struggles to score, particularly on the PP. Just watch, if this is the year, opposing fans will be looking at the team at the end and saying that ‘they were built for the playoffs’.

Thank you. You said it in a better way than I could've.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Personally I would say that Panarin, Fox, Zibanejad, Tarasenko and Kane are all more offensively talented than anyone on Carolina. Aho, Svechnikov, Necas and Jarvis could all develop to be in that mix.
Aho has more goals in less games then Panarin. In about 300 games less hes only 50 goals behind Zibanejad, hes slightly ahead of Tank in goals per game at .42 to Tanks .4. Not going to compare Fox because hes a D and honestly in goals per game its not even close Aho leads that by a mile. No Kane on the other hand may be the best US born NHLer of all time, but he is well on the downside of his career. Seems you may have name recognition bias. Aho would be the best goal scorer on the Rags right now if he put their sweater on today.

We have an inner middle school in all of us, don't we?
Yeah sometimes I try to suppress him but he sneaks out.

Reactions: SlavinAway

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
Thank you. You said it in a better way than I could've.
Judging by GF and GA, its academic then. Bruins should be handed the cup because they are by far the best team in the league. goals against is ridiculous relative to rest of league yet they just added a 1st pair d man and a relentless forechecker/agitator. Both rentals. They are not content to assume their regular season performance translates into a Cup. The Orlov and Hathaway trade may prove to be the best deadline deal in the league. To me this is the team that is built to win the Cup.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Judging by GF and GA, its academic then. Bruins should be handed the cup because they are by far the best team in the league. goals against is ridiculous relative to rest of league yet they just added a 1st pair d man and a relentless forechecker/agitator. Both rentals. They are not content to assume their regular season performance translates into a Cup. The Orlov and Hathaway trade may prove to be the best deadline deal in the league. To me this is the team that is built to win the Cup.
I dont think the borg are content either, just don't think they feel they need to rush it. There may come a time when they see they will have issues resigning some of the core and will make a push that year, but as of right now most of this team is coming back next year so they are not gonna mortgage too much for one push.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
In don't understand what San Jose has to gain by informing teams (or leaking) that we are out on Meier? Maybe they could say "Hey we have a better offer now and we won't accept yours", but isn't that then the borg deciding they are out by not upper theirs? Or maybe they get to the point where they go back to Meier and his agent and he say's there is no way he will extend, so we're not going to let you talk?
A lot of the time it’s agents who are feeding everything to the “insiders.” It’s a really weird dynamic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad